Tire Rim Upgrade for 1st Generation LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I'm sure there is a thread about this already, but I couldn't find it, apologies for the re-post.

It's nearly time again for new tires for the 1998 LX470. And again I'm confronted with only a few tire options (275/70R16) for all season tires--local tire shop only has 2 choices. I've gone with the Yokohama Defenders before. The tire size was changed in another year but same generation to 275/60R18.

Does anyone have experience switching rims and how it effects the ride, speedometer, etc?

Thank you.

If diameter changes of course it changes speedometer accuracy. Where in SC are you? I have a full set of lx470 wheels/tires I'll sell you for a deal if not too far. Michelin LTX tires

as HotSoup mentioned the final outer tire diameter define your speedometer. there are calculators online where you can type in the numbers or you check the number for the tire itself. 32 vs. 32.5 will likely not give a big change, 32 to 35" will.

Ride quality:
bigger wheel = less rubber = stiffer and the other way around. Which is why sports cars typically have 20" wheel and a very narrow tire.

here it mainly comes down to what you do with your vehicle. I personally stayed with 16" wheels to have more rubber when airing down offroad.

Thank you both. My reasons for changing rims would be a better ride quality bc of the bigger tire, and more choices when needing new tires.

The 99 Land cruiser came with the same size as the 98's 275/70R16

I have a 2003 and it has the bigger tire and definitely rides diff, but it also has 100k less miles on it!

HotSoup, I'm in Myrtle Beach but travel through NC often. I'll DM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom