Tire Dilema. MT's or AT's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you have them siped?

Nope. Nobody around here has the machine. I figure If I need it done, a six-pack and a box cutter should do the trick. I've probably shot myself in the foot, but maybe someone will learn from my mistakes. Or it may work great. Who knows. I'll keep you posted.

You'll love them. MT's are better onroad than AT's were 10 years ago. And you are correct, you can get a siping knife and do them yourself I believe.

Definitely sipe them before winter. I've run 35x12.50x15 BFG MTs, 315/75/16 BFG ATs, and 315/75/16 Toyo MTs on my 80s. The ATs were the quietest although neither of the MTs was unbearable in the cab. The Toyos are my favorite all around tire. I think the ATs may have been a little better on light snow/ice than the TOYOs. The BFG MTs were like driving around with four sleds under the wheel. Absolutely no control in light snow, hardpack, and ice conditions. I think siping would have greatly enhanced them. I ditched the ATs after a snow run a year ago in Feb. They only had like 800 miles on them. They completely sucked in the deep snow. They became packed and I was driving on snowballs. Zero traction. That was a waste of money. My other issue with both of the BFGs won't probably affect you in your area but their sidewalls are like butter in our lava rocks in Idaho. I never did wear a set out as I was always getting them roadhazarded.

So far the MTs are really quiet on the road and we're probably done with any real snowfall for the year. I'll probably wait until next season to sipe them as they'll do just fine as is in Summer conditions. Hopefully I'll be keeping these for their duration, but next time I may look into the TOYOs (or something similar with partial siping.) Thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom