Tire chains for on road use....school me please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I know its the dead of summer.

My Daughter is an RN and does 'Travel Nursing'. Her newest assignment will have her in Colorado from now....right on through the winter months. She will be in the Boulder/Denver area and no doubt will want to explore the State some.

So that means 'Tire Chains' at some point and time.

I know less than nothing about tire chains/cables. We just don't have a need for them in my part of Texas.

Questions:

1. What are the easiest to install? (cables, ladder chains, diamond pattern chains)?
2. Do you need additional tensioners with all chain types?
3. She has a 4WD truck with Bridgestone Revo II tires on it now (20" rims) if any of that makes a difference.
4. She has limited experience driving on snow and ice....so I am looking for the SAFEST chain type, but also need for them to be reasonably easy to install (not have to jack up the vehicle or do too much adjusting).

Thank You in advance for your suggestions and shared experience.

Flint.

I've only ever needed tire chains trying to go off road in the winter. My aunt is a traveling nurse living in Buena Vista and commuting to Fairplay and Leadville all through winter and to my knowledge has never needed chains. Denver/Boulder I would say they wouldn't be needed as long as she's sticking to roads. Keep this secret quiet but we really have pretty mild winters here in the front range. Do the Revos have the snowflake symbol on them? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

The chains I have for my 40 are heavy duty truck ladder style with side adjusters, and that's the only type I have dealt with so don't have any comments on your other questions. They certainly take practice to put on, as I assume most types would require. Cables in my mind would only be good for getting stuck on the interstate, which shouldn't happen with a 4wd and decent tires, so I would think she would only need chains if she's traveling to peoples' homes in the mtns west of Boulder where there are dirt roads etc. to potentially slide off. And in that case she would want to have chains, I doubt cables would be sufficient. Best practice would be to drive for the conditions and avoid bad conditions as much as possible.

Last edited:
I've only ever needed tire chains trying to go off road in the winter. My aunt is a traveling nurse living in Buena Vista and commuting to Fairplay and Leadville all through winter and to my knowledge has never needed chains. Denver/Boulder I would say they wouldn't be needed as long as she's sticking to roads. Keep this secret quiet but we really have pretty mild winters here in the front range. Do the Revos have the snowflake symbol on them? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

The chains I have for my 40 are heavy duty truck ladder style with side adjusters, and that's the only type I have dealt with so don't have any comments on your other questions. They certainly take practice to put on, as I assume most types would require. Cables in my mind would only be good for getting stuck on the interstate, which shouldn't happen with a 4wd and decent tires, so I would think she would only need chains if she's traveling to peoples' homes in the mtns west of Boulder where there are dirt roads etc. to potentially slide off. And in that case she would want to have chains, I doubt cables would be sufficient. Best practice would be to drive for the conditions and avoid bad conditions as much as possible.

The Revo does not have the snowflake symbol, it is simply considered an All Season Tire (M+S). I've used them in light snow 3"-4" and they did fine, but I wouldn't want to be caught in a blizzard with them.

Dueler%20II_zpsfyanur1a.jpg

Last edited:
A spare set of winter tires would be better than chains on the road. One reason is that the most dangerous winter condition is when you suddenly hit ice and in that case it's unlikely that one will have chains fitted. I personally use blizzak. Additionally I prefer a more narrow tire for snow as I find the get better traction in all but very deep drifts.

Pete

You could always keep a set of chains on hand for emergency situations. In that case the best choice would be the easiest to put on. Sorry I can't help there. I use diamond pattern chains off road but they would not be my first choice on road as the center links would wear quickly.

Pete

A spare set of winter tires would be better than chains on the road. One reason is that the most dangerous winter condition is when you suddenly hit ice and in that case it's unlikely that one will have chains fitted. I personally use blizzak. Additionally I prefer a more narrow tire for snow as I find the get better traction in all but very deep drifts.

Pete

This.

I live in Fort Collins and commute to Golden/Englewood 3 days a week. In 17 years of living here I've never used chains.

As Pete said, get her a set of studded snow tires to swap in the fall/winter.

This.

I live in Fort Collins and commute to Golden/Englewood 3 days a week. In 17 years of living here I've never used chains.

As Pete said, get her a set of studded snow tires to swap in the fall/winter.

Good suggestion, to which I agree, however it isn't feasible for Her.

She is 'Travel Nursing': Contracts with various Hospitals for assignments as short as 3 months or as long as a year.

Basically, she packs everything she can into a Crew Cab F150 (covered bed and rear seat area) and also has two Dachshunds.

A 'set' of snow tires just isn't going to happen (no room for them). She will be living in Denver and commuting to Lafayette. I don't anticipate her needing chains in that area. But she will no doubt go other places in Colorado (in her off time) that will include mountain passes and some light off-roading and ventures in neighboring States.

When she was working in Washington State a few years ago...she ran into a situation where she had to turn around and take an alternate route because tire chains were required along part of her planned route due to a storm. This time...I want her to be prepared. She left this morning for Denver and will be there from August until at least the end of January. Probably 're-up' her contract and be there until May.

I live in New Brunswick and lived in Calgary. NB gets lots of snow and the Rocky Mountains close to Calgary have passes that would require trucks to carry chains. I'll talk about personal vehicles only, not semi trucks. In NB nobody deals with chains but many people have a second set of wheels with aggressive snow tires (sometimes studded) mounted which we run during the cold months. The studs for ice and the agressive snow tire for the deep snow. Typical all-season tires are great on ice but lack the tread required for deep snow. AWD coupled with good winter tires gets you anywhere you need to go to the point the province closes the highway, which happens on occasion.

For the mountain passes chains are sometimes a requirement for personal vehicles. I don't have any experience beyond that knowledge.

This past winter I was pushing medium heavy snow just up to the top of the grill on of my 80. This required full use of the three e-lockers and my new BFG KO2's. All cars were at home that day and the police issued a statement to stay off the roads. It was a blast.

Snow tires are vastly more practical than trying to use chains for day to day life in Boulder/Denver and most driving in the mountains. This is my experience with chains on my Outback, which I used very rarely on top of snow tires for commuting up and down a very steep canyon.

First, even easy chains are a PITA to install. Your jacket/arms will get all wet and grimy reaching around the tires all the time and it involves a lot of crouching in the snow, frequently in the dark

Second, the vibration while driving is severe. I couldn't even drive above 30 without horrible slapping noises to start coming from the wheels.

Third, you can't really drive on dry pavement with them if you want them to last any amount of time. In Boulder/Denver, it's very often mixed conditions from snow packed city streets to clear, dry highways.

New tires are the way to go. She can buy them in town when she arrives, store her current ones, and then sell the snow tires on Craigslist when she leaves.

Snow tires are vastly more practical than trying to use chains for day to day life in Boulder/Denver and most driving in the mountains. This is my experience with chains on my Outback, which I used very rarely on top of snow tires for commuting up and down a very steep canyon.

First, even easy chains are a PITA to install. Your jacket/arms will get all wet and grimy reaching around the tires all the time and it involves a lot of crouching in the snow, frequently in the dark

Second, the vibration while driving is severe. I couldn't even drive above 30 without horrible slapping noises to start coming from the wheels.

Third, you can't really drive on dry pavement with them if you want them to last any amount of time. In Boulder/Denver, it's very often mixed conditions from snow packed city streets to clear, dry highways.

New tires are the way to go. She can buy them in town when she arrives, store her current ones, and then sell the snow tires on Craigslist when she leaves.

I fully understand that snow tires would be the most logical option for day to day driving in winter conditions around Denver.

My concern (which tires do not address) is when CHAINS are required/mandated on a particular stretch of highway, mountain pass, etc. She has already run into that situation when she was in Washington State (travel nursing).

Also, she will be traveling to other destinations other than Denver/Boulder. IF she never needs the chains great... (I hope that is the case) but if so...I want her have a set. That is why I am soliciting other folks opinions and practical experience. Not trying to debate whether chains or snow tires are the most useful.

But thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Flint.

All the chains I've ever used have been pretty good amount work on too. I just find it easier just to jack up each wheel one at a time to put them on. It's the kind of thing that's best to do the day before you need them. In addition to chains she'll need a tarp to lay down in the snow and shovel to get the snow out of the way and of course the stock jack.

Practice putting them in a few times in good weather and plan on it taking as long as an hour to get them on in bad conditions.

Cables will be considerably lighter than a set of heavy chains and less likely to tangle. The rubber type of ladder is probably the easiest to put on. Not sure if those are common on the U.S. heavy chains will give the best traction.

Additionally a good set of fog lights and fresh set of wiper blades is not a bad idea. A spare bottle of wiper fluid in the truck. Visibility is often more of a problem than traction. Bag of sand can also be pretty useful at times and weight in the bed is a good idea as well- so make that 2 bags. And a headlamp.

Just to be clear- unless the destination is on the road that requires chains often it will likely be just as fast and safer as well to take the alternate route as she did when in Washington. Not only do the chains need to go on which takes time- driving will be very slow and then the chains will have to be removed when returning to clear roads.

Additionally if a spare set of wheels is not possible then I'd just have her put on a good set of studless tires this fall and run them year round- I mean if you want the safest (not cheapest) situation.

Pete

I fully understand that snow tires would be the most logical option for day to day driving in winter conditions around Denver.

My concern (which tires do not address) is when CHAINS are required/mandated on a particular stretch of highway, mountain pass, etc. She has already run into that situation when she was in Washington State (travel nursing).

Also, she will be traveling to other destinations other than Denver/Boulder. IF she never needs the chains great... (I hope that is the case) but if so...I want her have a set. That is why I am soliciting other folks opinions and practical experience. Not trying to debate whether chains or snow tires are the most useful.

But thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Flint.

4WD/AWD meet the Colorado traction laws with any tires with at least 1/8" of tread. Chains are not required. I find this a bit funny because 4WD/AWD has nothing to do with how fast you can stop on snow. But that's the rule. It's probably so cars are less likely to get stuck going uphill on I-70 and cause huge delays.

Passenger Vehicle Traction & Chain Laws —

4WD/AWD meet the Colorado traction laws with any tires with at least 1/8" of tread. Chains are not required. I find this a bit funny because 4WD/AWD has nothing to do with how fast you can stop on snow. But that's the rule. It's probably so cars are less likely to get stuck going uphill on I-70 and cause huge delays.

Passenger Vehicle Traction & Chain Laws —

Thank You for the link.

Chains not required for times when 'traction' laws (code 15) is in effect, true, but chains are required at other times "chain law" (code 16) for ALL vehicles.

Les Schwab sells a light-duty tire chain that appears to be fairly easy to install. They will buy them back at the end of the season if you have not opened them. My wife and I did this last winter in Utah. It ended up that two locked 80s on Mickey Thompsons never needed them. Les bought 'em back as advertised.

I drive all over Wyoming and Colorado, nobody uses chains. Snow tires are helpful, but even a good set of tires and she is fine.

Unless the hospital is on a road that is non maintained and in the middle of nowhere, she will be fine without chains.

Some of the Utah roads require chains under certain conditions. The Highway Patrol sits at the sign and checks.

On the other hand I am at a point in my life where I am not interested in driving on a highway under conditions bad enough to mandate chains. I'll wait it out.

So....these look kinda 'hokey'.

Home (AutoSock)

Easy to install, but I can't imagine them staying in place or lasting very long.

I am at a point in my life where I am not interested in driving on a highway under conditions bad enough to mandate chains. I'll wait it out.

X2

I drive all over Wyoming and Colorado, nobody uses chains. Snow tires are helpful, but even a good set of tires and she is fine.

Unless the hospital is on a road that is non maintained and in the middle of nowhere, she will be fine without chains.

Yes, I am pretty sure she will be able to get to work most days. She will be living in Denver, commuting to Lafayette each day.

But, she also wants to travel around Colorado and neighboring States while she is there, so the possibility of encountering severe conditions (unexpectedly) will be present. Since Colorado traffic laws offer no 'amnesty' (regardless the reason) for NOT having chains when required AND the obvious safety issues IF chains were actually needed...then it just makes sense to be prepared.

I do appreciate the input from those stating that chains are largely unneeded, that is good to know. But my solicitation is for suggestions about using/purchasing tires chains, not the likelihood of needing them. I don't expect she will ever need to use the fire extinguisher I have in her truck, but its there.

Thanks to all for your help.

Flint.

I carried ladder chains for 10 years in colorado front range and only used them once- in boulder canyon going up to eldora to ski. Road changed to sheet ice and we where last vehicle before they closed it.... as conditions went to sheet ice - I pulled over laid all four chains in place drove forward slightly hooked everything up and drove 25 mph up the road while everyone else sat cause they could move- cars were sliding sideways just parked ....

So. Really a normal situation you’ll never need them - except once in third blue moon if it’s wednesday

But yeah you get filthy, wet, and good snow tire is best.

Keep in mind studded winter tires only if you live where roads are always snow packed in winter and that’s not Boulder. And studs are dangerous on dry pavement, so you need to stay within speed limit and drive thoughtfully

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom