Tire chains did the job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One set of tire chains (front only) from Costco ($79) made a huge difference in a muddy hill climb to the cabin in Maine.

I have a stock 2000, with the exception of Billsteins and Revo's. It was loaded down with hunting gear and a week's worth of food/water. Without the tire chains, I made no progress on the very steep trail. The trail was muddy with vegetation for the first 100 yards, and then it changes to a washed out rocky section. I tried slow-and-easy, fast-and furious, and different approaches wihout any luck.

Then I put the tire chains on the front only. I was able to climb right up the hill, I didnt even hear the TRAC system kick-in. Went over the rocky section with no issues, and had enough momentum to plow through a mud pit at a plateau near the top of the incline. Overall, this saved me about 5 miles of hiking in the dark in miserable weather.

The tire chains also helped control on the drive down the hill. I was concerned that the rear may slip out if it had less traction, but no problems.

Since the landcruiser is my daily drive, I've been reluctant to install aggresive mud tires for the few times a year when I venture offroad. My recent experience demonstrated that the tire chain option can be a good (and economic) alternative when some extra traction is needed.

Even locking the Center Diff didn't help?

What made you decide to put the chains on the front? As far as I'm aware, 'the book' says to only use chains on the rear, for fear of damage.

In anycase, sounds like fun - I've lived in 'Sunny SoCal' all my life - could use a break and some nasty weather for a bit :)

-LX Pilot

Thanks for the Info....... A good alternative to aggresive tires... Will stop by Costco and pick some up! Do you think i will need them for 33 x 10.50 tire??? :doh:

Even locking the Center Diff didn't help?

What made you decide to put the chains on the front? As far as I'm aware, 'the book' says to only use chains on the rear, for fear of damage.

In anycase, sounds like fun - I've lived in 'Sunny SoCal' all my life - could use a break and some nasty weather for a bit :)

-LX Pilot

I think the no chains on the front "rule" is mostly because it is generally a safer way to use one pair of chains on snowy/icy roadways, and so the manufacturer recommends chains on the rear axle. I have used chains on the front of my LX450 with no clearance problems, but the rear will swing around on you very easily.

Yeah, even with the center diff locked I couldnt crawl an inch. All four tires were caked with slick mud and the incline was too steep.

Not sure why I went with front only. At least it made more sense at the time then two other options, left or right side only.:) When I inspected the area where I was getting stuck w/o the chains, it seemed like the biggest obstacles were ruts/holes that the front were dropping into. I figured chains on the front would help to "pull through" the trouble areas.

Since it was all offroad at speeds less than 5 mph, I wasnt too concerned about damage potential--probably the same w/ and w/o chains...

Forgot to mention, around here the Costco chains are an internet only purchase.

...caked with slick mud and the incline was too steep.
...seemed like the biggest obstacles were ruts/holes that the front were dropping into. I figured chains on the front would help to "pull through" the trouble areas.

Ah, well that makes sense.

The only times I've used chains was when I lived in the local mountains near L.A. and needed them a few times a year on my Nissan Frontier (2wd). I'm still getting used to the idea of 4wd...

-LX Pilot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom