Tinted Out’s LX470 restore/build/enjoy thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Santa came a lil early this year. I got some Bubba Rope Gator Jaw Soft Shackles. Very excited to find out about these cool lil soft shackles. Much more safer the metal shackles that have been around for years. I got three for the truck. I got two of the 7/16 32,000LB for the front tow points and one of the Pro version for when im using the rear tow hitch. The Pro version breaking strength is up to 52,000LBs.

56677810747__8DCE7B69-42E6-4914-9EBE-594A1A8218B1.JPG

Last edited:
Don't mind me asking how many miles and how much did you pay? You can PM me as well

Don't mind me asking how many miles and how much did you pay? You can PM me as well

I talked the pervious owner down to $4300 for the truck. As you can see it needed a lot work and still going through it. Will post pics soon.

I just hit 162,000 this past weekend.

Well was able to get away Christmas eve from everybody and puts some well deserved hours in the Hundy. I plan on taking a lil snowboarding trip at the end of Jan with few a friends. Everyone wants me to drive, so im game. Peer Pressure. The past couple weeks Ive noticed a little bit of burning oil smell. Peeked my head under the hood and nocted the pass side valve cover has a nice little leak coming from both sides. Easy!

Went by Advanced Auto and picked up a Fel-Pro valve cover kit for cheap. Did a quick search on the process and started wrenching away. Driver side bolts came off way to easy. Made my way to the passerside. Seven of the nine came out no effort. Three on the lower side of the head were being stubborn. I knew I was in some $hit now.

56727937192__ECA9641F-592B-4F05-A243-F9352E49D66A.JPG

Had to walk away for bit after that happened. Keep cool, gather a plan and then execute.

Focused my anger towards something else worth it. The old sway bar links and brackets. 160,000 miles and never been touch. So you know they were beat. These took sometime and penetrating oil but I got them all off. As you can see everything is wore out and not reusable.

The bars aren't in to bad of shape. A lot of wear around were the worn out bushing rubbed all the paint off. Tongue twister. Im prepping them at the moment for POR 15. OEM Toyota replacements parts should be arriving next week sometime. Should have the front and rear bars painted this weekend.

IMG_0937.jpg

Last edited:
I spent some time trying to figure out these broken valve cover bolts. Currently the truck is in my shop. Which is under a build out and it will be complete by Jan 5, 2019. So none of my tools have been moved over yet. Just my small stuff to complete this job.

Went to Home depot because I knew I needed a few items to get this done.

-Ryobi right angle drill. (Already have battery.)
-DeWalt 6x1 tap and drill set. (My old tap was beat.)
-Dewalt handel.
-Irwin HSS drill bit set. (My buddies.)
-Milwaukee Titanium impact drill bit set. (Already had.)

IMG_0943.jpg

Just took my time and started with the small Irwin HSS drill bits and worked my way up to 13/16 Milwaukee impact bits. The Milwaukee bits are shorter so I could get the drill in at the perfect angel. Once I got through, the new DeWalt M6x1 tap went in with no issues. Just made sure I had plenty of oil to keep everything lubed.

Success!!!

The two front bolts weren't to bad since they were pretty accessible. The third bolt is the last one closest to the fire wall on the bottom. Will have to deal with that one tomm. The Ryobi drill is to big to drill out the last bolt properly. Will have to ask a few of my mechanic buddies who do this for a living for advice. Also had a chance to stop by my local Toyota dealership. Order nine new valve cover bolts and few other odds and ends for this little project. Should be in by Tuesday so I can get this truck up and running again.

IMG_0944.jpg

Last edited:
This Rotary SPOA10 two post lift was installed this past week at the shop. Im so excited to get this tool at the shop. Im glad my partner didn't want to cheap out and choose for the higher lift capacity. None of the cars and SUV we work on are that heavy but we dont want any limitation and want to be able to grow.

56736002334__E4A48068-54D2-4D7A-BE57-A466BC327241.JPG

The last bolt was a PITA. The 5/32 drill bit broke off and I couldn't get it out with needle nose pliers. Ended up grabbing a Snap-On right angle drill from my buddy. This drill had a smaller head compared to the Ryobi drill I bought last week. I was able to get in between the bolt and ac line on the fire wall at a better angle. It was a tight squeeze but was doable.

IMG_0955.jpg

The OEM Toyota parts came in from my local dealership and was able to get the pass side valve cover in. I ordered 9x new valve cover bolts, PVC valve, grommet and ventilation hose for it. Fel-pro kit had the bolt rubber/metal washers for the 9x bolts.

Also did all 8x spark plugs. The ones I pulled were still good but they were cheap NGK plugs. I went got some OEM Denso (3297) SK20R11 iridium replacements.

OEM Toyota part #

-Grommet: 90480-18001
-PCV Valve: 12204-50020
-PCV Hose: 12261-50050
-Flat Bolt: 90080-10168

IMG_0954.jpg

Dont you just love fresh OEM hardware?

IMG_0956.jpg

View attachment 1868766

View attachment 1868767

Last edited:
I have a timing belt kit that im waiting to install. Im giving myself 180,000 miles deadline but its on the to do list sooner. Just waiting on a few more parts to come in and some down time for the truck. The timing belt I ordered had a serpentine belt included. Went ahead and pulled the old belt off and replaced it with a new belt from the kit. Both the tensioner and idler pulleys were just about on there last leg also. Rust everywhere and the bearing had a horrible gritty sound when you spun them. The serpentine belt didn't look any better but I will be keeping this old belt in my truck. You never know when you will need one in a emergency.

IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

Last edited:
I feel panic'd just reading about those broken bolts.. can't imagine how you felt haha

I may have lost a few hours of sleep thinking about it. Does not help when you mechanic buddies didn't even wanna touch the work. They know how PITA drilling and tapping can be. Not to mention this situation.

On to some fun stuff that I installed. I'm a big podcast listener and found the podcast called Toyota trucks and trails. I happen to start listening not to long ago and really enjoyed the podcast with Joey from Absolute Wits’ End. He went into detail about his work and the time and effort he puts into his products. Really good topic and Toyota truck podcast to listen too. Anyways, long story short. I purchased one of Joeys 100 series accessory panel for the center armrest console. Accessory Panel Unit-100 Series early

Holds all my goodies without them sliding all around while driving.

IMG_0959.jpg

Always good to hear the goal of the podcast is working. Thanks for listening.

You guys are
Always good to hear the goal of the podcast is working. Thanks for listening.

You guys are a trip. Episode 69, too funny. I can tell you guys are really enjoy doing this stuff.

All serious. Really useful and realiable information that pertains to Toyota’s trucks.

Always looking forward to the next episode.

Will here are the pictures of the front and rear sway bars sanded down and hit with two layers of POR-15. I got all the OEM parts and hardware all laid out and ready to be installed. I like to see what all im working with.

All four corners of the truck where the new brackets and bushings lay got some sanding and two layer of POR-15. For now, im happy with the coverage I did. You can also see where the AHC must have leaked all over the frame. Definitely ate away at the frames paint which isnt really that bad. Mostly mud build up under there. I will come back later when the weather breaks and do more of the frame and underbody with the more POR-15.

I also hit all four corner with some red Dupli color caliper paint. The rig looks so much better with these painted.

IMG_0952.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom