Tinted Out’s LX470 restore/build/enjoy thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, my name is James. I’m located right behind Dulles Airport in South Riding VA. I just picked up a 2000 Lexus LX470 from someone who realized they were in over their heads in work on the Lexus. After some nogiotions I we were able work out a deal. The truck is definitely rough around the edges but I’m fine with it. I’m going to use this truck and I’m not going to stress about dinging and marking it up. It’s been a few years since I took on vehicle project and excited for the adventure. My last project car was a 1991 MR-2 NA that swapped in a built 3SGTE, so getting back to working on Toyota’s is going to be fun.

2000 Lexus LX470 with 159,542 miles.

The repair list.

-Both step boards are sagging. (First things coming off.)
-Jammed sunroof. (Started a thread about it.)
-Broken rear bumper reflector.
-Hood struts don’t hold the hood up.
-No spare tire. (I have 18” coming, will use one of 16”s as spare.)
-No third row seats. (didn’t want them anyways.)
-AHC has been disconnected and looks like it’s all there. (PO installed a Lift kit and didn’t think to replace the torsion bars. Correct me if I’m wrong but you need the beefer torsion bars if you delete the AHC system to acquit a lift with just the front shocks.)
-Typical underbody rust.
-Driver side heated seat control light is out.
-AC does not blow cold.
-Misc interior/exterior bulbs out.
-Hard leather seats. Only one hole in passenger seat.
-Missing Driver center wheel cap.
-Missing battery terminal cover.

That’s what I’ve just gather in the few hours of going through it visually. I’m sure the list will get longer once I start putting my hands on the truck and start ripping through it. I will post pics tonight.

Last edited:
Welcome! Make sure you added heater tees to that list, baseline all the fluids, inspect the emergency brake as the rust bowl will likely seized the rear mechanism. Post some pics!

Welcome x2! Yes you should not be running AHC TB with the AHC disabled/removed. They aren't designed to to hold load's without the AHC to support the weight.

Welcome! Make sure you added heater tees to that list, baseline all the fluids, inspect the emergency brake as the rust bowl will likely seized the rear mechanism. Post some pics!

Yup, that will be on the maintenance list that I’ll be posting. When I was building my MR-2 years ago. I was on a MR-2 forum and there was guy who worked for a dealership and would help the mr2 community with OEM parts. A OEM parts vendor for us. Do we have any body on here like that?

Welcome x2! Yes you should not be running AHC TB with the AHC disabled/removed. They aren't designed to to hold load's without the AHC to support the weight.

That would explain the major drop in the front end. SMH

As stated above, the AHC TBs are roughly 60% the load capacity of the LC TBs. The AHC itself supports approx 40% of the weight in an LX. Same for rear springs. LX/AHC rear coils are "tiny" compared to stock LC springs. If AHC get's pulled, you HAVE to replace the TBs and coils with proper ones such as OEM or any number of aftermarket ones.

As stated above, the AHC TBs are roughly 60% the load capacity of the LC TBs. The AHC itself supports approx 40% of the weight in an LX. Same for rear springs. LX/AHC rear coils are "tiny" compared to stock LC springs. If AHC get's pulled, you HAVE to replace the TBs and coils with proper ones such as OEM or any number of aftermarket ones.

PO said It was a Strutmaster kit from a LC. That will be getting replaced with 2.5 lift kit in the future. Not sure what brand yet. Opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
call it coincidence, I stay close (171 zip) too, picked up same 2000 LX in the same color from a mud member, day before yesterday (Monday)

Some more pictures.

IMG_0597.jpg

Underbody seems ok. I will have to break out the POR 15 soon. The beams behind the bumpers are pretty much rusted out.

IMG_0600.jpg

Interior isnt that bad at all. The pass side got it the worst with that hole under your a$$. Rear seat look pretty good too. Still soft and plush, just needs some cleaning. Carpet looks good too. No major stains or rips.

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

call it coincidence, I stay close (171 zip) too, picked up same 2000 LX in the same color from a mud member, day before yesterday (Monday)
Yes. Once I get this beast running. Will have to catch up.

Grab some new TB's and call it good. Truck looks good otherwise

I was thinking same thing and just getting TB. I first wanna get in there and see what the hell the PO did. Then go from there.

You can just reindex the lx TBs for now, should get you by for a bit if you don’t plan on loading it with bumpers and hauling 30 heavy set honeys inside.

You can just reindex the lx TBs for now, should get you by for a bit if you don’t plan on loading it with bumpers and hauling 30 heavy set honeys inside.

To be honest, im in no super rush. This is a project for me and I rather do once and be done with it the right way.

Had some time after work yesterday to get under the truck and see what I might be dealing with. I ended up for s*** and giggles and tried adjusting the torsion bars adjusting bolt. I tighten the adjusting bolt down to the max and ended up raising the truck up a few inches. After seeing what I got out of the raise and verify that it was strutmaster conversion kit. I was pretty confident with what I was dealing with.

Torsion bar adjusting bolts tighten all the way up. Looking much better but not quite there yet.

IMG_0612.jpg

I did a little bit of research after I got home and found a instruction manual and youtube video on the LX470 conversion kit. Strutmaster.com had all the info I needed. The key is reclocking the LX torsion bars to set the new height.

I soaked the bolts in PB blast before I left yesterday and started working on pulling the torsion bars out of the front plate. I knew I needed to check if the bars where even in the right spline which they were and continued to mark the OE spline location on the bars and plate. Was able to pull the puzzle apart and reclock the bars two splines outwards. Somehow got the adjusting bolts backup and tighten them down evenly on both sides. Lowered the truck down and now we are back in business.

Torsion bars reclocked and adjusted evenly. Also had the time pull the running boards. The L brackets holding them up where just about rust to $hit. Glad there gone.

IMG_0616.jpg

I had these parts laying on doorstep when I got home Friday and knew these would be easy victories I could add to the day Saturday. The hood strut went in easy and now holds my hood up. The truck was also missing two wheel lug nuts. Instead of ordering two expensive OEM lugs, I just spent the money towards a set of Gorilla wheel locks for the truck. Protect my investment and now have some spare just incase.

IMG_0613.jpg

Its been a few weeks since i've been on. I got a few things crossed off the list and got the truck tagged and titled. I was trying to drive the truck down to VA beach for my sister wedding party. So I knew this would be perfect road trip to see how the truck runs.

First off, got a complete set of 285/75/16 Pro Comp MT2 mounted up last week. I bought 4 and got one free with the deal Pro Comp was running. Also ended scoring a set of 16" 5 spoke LC oem wheels for cheap. I had a lead on set of 18" but it was only 4x wheels. I wanted all 5. The Lexus wheels were beat and curb marked to death. Curb rashed wheels are my biggest pet peeves. Once I got the LC wheels in hand I sprayed them with Duplicolor Bronze and dipped the center caps in black. I may paint the center caps bronze one day, but I love the two tone look and not a fan of removed center caps.
IMG_0647.jpg

The way the truck stands with the suspension adjusted and the alignment done as best as possible. I will need to get UCA soon. The OE arms are shot and rusted to death. Very little adjustment on the camber and caster but the truck drives pretty good now. MUCH better than before. I was impressed on the highway drive down to VA beach area. Tires made some noise,but nothing I wasn't expecting. The trip back up went just as smooth. Right next to Tidewater yacht marina in Portsmouth.

IMG_0666.jpg

Again its been awhile since Ive been posting. To be honest haven't had much time to work on the truck either. So much going on at the moment. Plus the holidays.

Anyways, on to the thread. When I bought the truck I knew I was getting into some trouble shooting to get this rig right. One was a damaged glove box lock. Looks like it was drilled out but never successfully opened. There was content inside and the kid I bought it from never could get it open. So after a bigger drill bit and big flat head screwdriver I was able to open the glove box. Womp Womp. Nothing special, some paperwork, bank receipts and an old title from previous owner before the kid I purchased it from.

Since the old lock assembly was done I knew I had find new assembly to keep the glove box closed. I ended sourcing a this used one off eBay. I had to swap the gray trim off the old assembly which was easy. In the second pic you can see the assembly was broke in half. Got them swapped out and now I can open close my glove box. On a side note. I only got the Valet key with this truck, so I cant lock the new lock. Which Im fine with. I never use the glove box like that anyways and again this is "the no ****s given truck." Its my trail/fun rig. There to much fun out there to be sweating the small stuff.

I also scored four OEM cabin filter off Clist a few weeks ago for a steal. I paid Four for the grand total of $20. Perfect opportunity to change the cabin filters while I had the glove open.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

These cabin filters looked like they have not been changed it years.

IMG_0753.jpg

I picked up few items on Black Friday. I got set of front and rear extended sway bar links from Trail Tailor. I still need to order the rest of the OEM sway bar parts from Toyota. Those will need replacing along with the links. That's on the to do list next. Also picked up a set of red powder coated front tow points from Trail Tailor.

Hey guys if you order from Jason, please don't forget to order the grade 10.9 bolts kit from him. He has them in stock and it will save the effort and probably some money. These heavy duty hardware can get pricey. I'd rather support the guys that support us then the big chain businesses.

Thanks again Jason for the parts. Looking forward to the UCA your fabbing up. I will be ordering a set as soon as they are available.

I should have these tow points installed later this afternoon, so Ill post some pics later tonight. I know you guys wanna see installed pictures.

IMG_0887.jpg

Good to see another Northern Virginian here. Like what you've done so far!

Thanks man. Just trying to keep it classy.

Ended up having some free time after taking the dog out for a walk. Decided to go ahead install these new fancy tow points. Grab some anti seize and my tools. Got these on in about 10 mins. Now im ready to get stuck.

IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg

I got this recovery tow hitch and shackle from Quadratec.com. DOnt flame me guys, my girl own a Jeep Wrangler and I just added to order for her Christmas gift. I wanted the red shackel to match my fronts. LOL

IMG_0891.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom