Builds Tink's preservation - 1964 FST (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now just rub some dirt on it! ;)

Thanks to @swamp-thing for the jack and jack handle set with the perfect patina. Amazingly the clips look to be original and unbroken.

IMG_1485.jpg

Last edited:
The rear license plate light was missing the lens and gasket. The internal fixture was a bit rusty also. Found a new replacement two wire version and was able to simply move the original cover and screws on to the new fixture and install the lens and gasket.

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Interesting that the reflectors on the back end of Tink are Stratolite brand. Took them off to replace them as they are sun faded but decided that I wouldn't be able to find a set that would look and fit right. Found more California dirt packed in behind them.

IMG_1483.jpg

I had a new set of rear taillights that I think I got awhile back from Cruiser Outfitters. In keeping with getting Tink ready for the next 60 years I changed them out. Kept the old trim rings and screws on to just keep them from drawing to much attention. I just want them to work and not broadcast that they are new.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

Last edited:
Pulled the bib off to work on several things. The headlight cans didn't look to bad, no cancerous rust. Wiped the dust off and then sprayed a coat of Fluid Film. Nuts and bolts came back from the plater last week. I had some spares from other projects to replace the SAE bolts and nuts that had been substituted over the years. Cruiser Outfitters has replacement clear bib lights so I installed those. Kept the rings and original slotted screws but used the new fixtures and lenses.

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

Last edited:
Had the grill powder coated and bought a new Toyota badge. Adjusted the bib to square it up. It had been pushed back on the passenger side. Chased the threads on the bib hinge bolts and installed a new woven pad from Cruiser Outfitters under it. The original pad was heavily deteriorated.

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

Last edited:
Brought the jump seats in to work on. It's a bit warmer in the house than the garage this time of the year. The PO had bought a set of vinyl from Cruiser Corps. Seats were not to bad. Sanded the rust spots and than applied a coat of POR15.

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

Last edited:
While I have the seats out I thought I would pull the transmission cover. Managed to only break off one bolt. The POs had broken 3 so I don't feel to bad. I was able to extract the four broken bolts without breaking the captured nuts with a little heat from the torch. Found 10 of the domed washers under the cover. They were on with the domes both pointed up and down. Wondering if anyone knows what their orientation is supposed to be? What have people been using as gasket material for this cover?

Planning in the spring to pull the transmission to clean and service it. I have a new clutch disc kit. Might replace gaskets also along with a fluid change.
IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that the reflectors on the back end of Tink are Stratolite brand. Took them off to replace them as they are sun faded but decided that I wouldn't be able to find a set that would look and fit right. Found more California dirt packed in behind them.

View attachment 2893188
@red66toy might have some nice red Koito reflectors inbound, not sure if the screw holes would match. I can measure mine if interested.

@red66toy might have some nice red Koito reflectors inbound, not sure if the screw holes would match. I can measure mine if interested.
That would be helpful thanks. I have a feeling that the Stratolites are such an odd shape that others would expose the un-faded paint underneath. Interested to see though.

Last edited:
I had a spare turn signal lever that I had re-chromed a few years ago sitting on the shelf. Needed to file off some of the chrome on the post that mates up with the rod that comes up the column from the switch. Otherwise it seems to be a good fit. The shift lever slipped right back into place. Seems like JR took a little more care not to plate to heavily on this one. He may have had to ground back more of the old rusted and heavily pitted chrome to get to a surface that he could restore. Not sure but happy it took 10 seconds to reinstall.

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

Last edited:
Installed the rubber door seal on the driver's side. That is not a fun job. Specter Off Road had the seals in stock. Decided that I am going to search for some heavier weight canvas for the passenger door. The canvas I installed on the passenger side just seems to light weight.

Still need to come up with some way of joining the mitered corners.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

I really like the aged canvas look of this soft top. It looks to have been designed to match pictures I have seen in TEQ brochures of the time. Not sure how well it will hold up on the road. Lots of weak, torn spots and repairs. Along with broken zippers and deeply yellowed plastic windows has me considering a new top. I remember reading on a Mud thread about a gal somewhere south of here that does tops. May need to get on her waitlist.

65904786185__E5F98DF7-8B37-4F27-9498-D314CD20AE72.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

PO included some KYB shocks. Liked them better than the blue ones that were on there. I love the long springs that hold the brake lines up and out of the way. Not sure if this particular one is original but it's working as designed.

IMG_1535.jpg

PO included an extra oil bath filter housing in the spare parts boxes. The top came back from the powder coater in great shape. I wire wheeled the clips and sent them for re-plating. The base came back with about 70 pin holes after it was blasted. Going to try and fill them by brazing. May not be successful.

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

Spring not original but if it works, good enough! Clip around hose is original.

I really like the aged canvas look of this soft top. It looks to have been designed to match pictures I have seen in TEQ brochures of the time. Not sure how well it will hold up on the road. Lots of weak, torn spots and repairs. Along with broken zippers and deeply yellowed plastic windows has me considering a new top. I remember reading on a Mud thread about a gal somewhere south of here that does tops. May need to get on her waitlist.

View attachment 2893428

View attachment 2893429

View attachment 2893430

View attachment 2893431
If you decide to replace the top with a new one and want to part with the old one, I would be happy if you gave me a shot at owning it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom