Builds Tink's preservation - 1964 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went to work on the doors. The driver's side door still had the the blue canvass on it, but the window and handle were off. Decided to reinstall the window and handle while leaving the canvass. Seems that the handle had broke at some point and had a 7/16 bolt holding it together. No spring on either handle. May need to go to the hardware store to find some springs. The screws holding the window channel to the door are missing. They seem to be the same size and thread pitch as the running board trim screws. Might be able to shorten them and have original look.

The passenger side was disassembled. Dominic had supplied some light weight canvass which he had boiled in a brew of tea to age it. He also supplied new battons that he reproduces. These hold the canvass along the top. Need to order new weatherstripping for both doors. After 60 years she is only missing one hinge bolt.

He also supplied new plexiglass. Anyone have tips for cutting and drilling it?

65905090010__4769DEAB-5E8C-4044-A039-3A6F3FC42494.jpg

65906733960__A52E96AB-9B3B-463B-8693-AF9E8810E440.jpg

65906685325__EDD7F8E0-808B-4A16-B9E4-17B1EC0B7E41.jpg

65906751253__AD262897-77CB-431F-81EC-BCF9D447352E.jpg

Last edited:
Orange Koito lenses on the turn signals. Clear bulbs. I have a few if you want originals. Your bib lights are correctly clear.
@ToyotaMatt does have amber bulbs if you wanted to preserve the faded lens but still have orange signals.
Subscribed. Love this truck.
I would love to use the amber ones. Message me some pics when you have time. The ones on now seem to be originally clear. There is no amber inside around the edges.

Anyone know where to get the right size screws for the weather strip trim? The hardware store had #4 (small) and #6 (big), neither worked very well.

Does 3M weatherstrip adhesive work the best on the mitered corners? Staples kind of work to.

65906753027__F0BF0267-AD71-4B61-8CC1-55B8DC101281.jpg

Last edited:
Orange Koito lenses on the turn signals. Clear bulbs. I have a few if you want clear originals. Your bib lights are correctly clear.
@ToyotaMatt does have amber bulbs if you wanted to preserve the faded lens but still have orange signals.
Subscribed. Love this truck.
Thanks for the info. Ordered the complete units from Cruiser Outfitters to get the amber lenses, the gaskets, screws, and the rubber base pads.

Last edited:
Went to work on the doors. Backed the SAE bolt out of the passenger side handle. Found a long M6 bolt and cut the head off to make it into a stud bolt. Re-tapped the hole and put the M6 stud in along with some Locktite. Looks closer to original. Off to get some springs from the hardware store for the handles. Anyone have a picture of their springs they could post?

Found some JIS M5 .9 threaded bolts in my spares for the passenger side window frame. They are replated and look out of place. Ordering 4 longer JIS M5 .9 thread x 18mm bolts from a motorcycle parts vendor on eBay for the bottom of the window frames. Decided to put all the new hardware on the passenger side and the old on the driver's side.

Seems the exterior handles can be installed facing forward or aft and on either side. Going with forward for now.

IMG_1424.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Ordered the complete units from Cruiser Outfitters to get the amber lenses, the gaskets, screws, and the base rubber pads.
I have swapped in amber bulbs and amber lenses on several vehicles and I prefer that to the white bulb and amber lens or amber bulb and clear lens. However for originality I understand if you do what came stock! You can briefly read more and see a side by side comparison at the link below.

Last edited:
One of the spare parts Tink came with was a new windshield weatherstripping. The old w/s was brittle and badly cracked. Managed to get the windshield out safely. Bonus was getting the defrost ducts out without breaking the small M4 screws.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

Ordered new front turn signals to get the new lenses, gaskets, and pads for Tink's faded and cracked originals. The threaded rod that holds the housing to the fender is rusty. Soaked with some PB Blaster for a few days. Might be able to save the housing and base. Chased the threads of the shafts and nuts. Reinstall went much easier.
Some insect found the base of the passenger side turn signal to be a good place for laying eggs.
IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to pop the steering wheel off to have a look at the hub internals. O'Rielly's had the right steering wheel puller for rent. A little PB ahead of time helped get the wheel off. The rust inside might explain why the horn isn't working. Can't tell if this 64 had turn signal cancellers. Looks like they may have broke off at some point. They were not laying loose inside the hub. I had a spare turn signal lever with fresh chrome on hand. Popped in with little effort. The 3 speed shift lever is badly pitted. Might be able to add that to some other parts I have at JR Custom Plating for a quick turn around.

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

Last edited:
Before working on the windshield I noticed that the rubber seal for the windshield vent was badly cracked. Successfully removed the vent and removed the nuts from the backing plate without breaking any studs. New rubber from SOR installed until someone makes a better seal.

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

Last edited:
I was not a fan of the front bumper painted black. It is in fairly good condition and seems to be a fairly old replacement OEM bumper, if not original. Lots of scratches and chips under the black paint. Ordered a new hardware kit from SOR. Will keep my eyes open for some bolts and a bumper with some patina. Wanted to have some parts powder coated and decided that I would have this bumper done in a silver gray. Noticed that the front area of the frame has been stripped and repainted black at some point. Black overspray on the lower part of the bib in several places. The bib hinge is white on the upper portion and black on the lower. Interesting.

65889999371__C343C3F2-F503-4B4C-9BF7-6403EB956EBF.jpg

Last edited:
Since I was working on the front bumper I thought I would work on the bib. In one of the spare parts boxes were replacement wire connection blocks. The originals looked to be badly deteriorated. The bib harness appears to be in pretty good shape. Adding "Clean wire harness ends" to the To Do List. Hardware was a bit of metric and SAE. I had enough correct metric to replace the few missing bolts and nuts. Need to order the correct size fender washers.

IMG_1431.jpg

Love the work you're doing here, thanks for sharing and bringing us along for the ride!

I had a Toyota sticker that I bought a few years ago still sitting on the shelf. Managed to scrape the old one off without much difficulty. Included in the spare parts box was a receiver hitch so I had that powder coated with some other items. I hope to have this running well enough that I can pull my kayak trailer. Put the pintle hitch on the shelf for now.

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom