Builds Tink's preservation - 1964 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The truck was missing the hand throttle knob and cable. Found one but it seems that the outer sleeve has rusted and broken at the end where it attaches at the carb. It also didn't come with whatever attaches the cable to the throttle. Thinking it's supposed to have a barrel nut at the end of the cable. Anyone have a picture?

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

Found the seat adjustment brackets are held to the bottom of the seat with sheetmetal screws. Anyone know if that is original? Seems jenky.

Going to have to work on the rust on the inside of the base.

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

Last edited:
The truck was missing the hand throttle knob and cable. Found one but it seems that the outer sleeve has rusted and broken at the end where it attaches at the carb. It also didn't come with whatever attaches the cable to the throttle. Thinking it's supposed to have a barrel nut at the end of the cable. Anyone have a picture?

View attachment 2896005

View attachment 2896006

View attachment 2896007
Yes your missing a barrel nut at end of cable. And looks like the sheath locking screw and nut is missing also.
IMG_1959.jpeg

Subscribed to your thread, nice job so far, I love the original fst's.

Here's a pic of the underside of my 69 driver seat. Looks like your large spring is in the wrong spot and you're missing the 2 small springs. Spot welded, no sheet metal screws.

i-2ZCHDwx-L.jpg

Subscribed to your thread, nice job so far, I love the original fst's.

Here's a pic of the underside of my 69 driver seat. Looks like your large spring is in the wrong spot and you're missing the 2 small springs. Spot welded, no sheet metal screws.

i-2ZCHDwx-L.jpg
Makes sense now seeing your pristine seat. Explains why it didn't want to lock in place. This and some other clues make me think the seat covers are not original. The horsehair padding seems original though.

Had some warmer weather yesterday. I thought with the seats out it was a good time to remove the fuel modifications and reinstall the original copper hard line from the fuel pump to the carb. Fortunately the original hard plastic line between the fuel filter and fuel pump showed up in the mail on Tuesday from Dominic. Thanks to @CondeCruiser for supplying the parts to complete the original fuel filter housing. Made a run to NAPA Auto to get a length of 5/16 rubber fuel line to replace the line from the tank hard line to the fuel filter. The hard line cleaned up nicely with a pass over the wire wheel buffer.

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

Last edited:
Dominic also sent the original fuel filler neck and fuel cap in the mail. He had replaced the original gas tank with a newer style tank to solve rust sediment issues. The new tank required a newer filler neck and a newer, smaller gas cap. Made a new filler neck gasket from a sheet of cork I had on hand. I had an Acorn gas cap on the shelf to replace the original which had a bad seal and had been painted black. Attached the cap to the chain and clip that @ToyotaMatt supplied from his VintageTeqParts.com site.

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

Last edited:
While I was working on the fuel system I noticed that there is a black hose from the oil filler tube to the carb spacer. The tube at the base was no longer attached. Maybe a pollution control measure. Not sure. Doesn't seem original. Looks different than the manuals. No carb spacer. No hose to the oil filler. The mounting studs for the carb are maxed out with no threads above the nuts. Should I remove both the hose and carb spacer and look for a different oil filler?

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

While I was working on the fuel system I noticed that there is a black hose from the oil filler tube to the carb spacer. The tube at the base was no longer attached. Maybe a pollution control measure. Not sure. Doesn't seem original. Looks different than the manuals. No carb spacer. No hose to the oil filler. The mounting studs for the carb are maxed out with no threads above the nuts. Should I remove both the hose and carb spacer and look for a different oil filler?
That's your pcv valve hose. The pcv should be on your oil fill tube. Important!

Disconnecting is a huge vacuum leak.

Not having a pcv valve will blow oil seals.

Thanks @MDH33. Bad & bad. I have call into @65swb45 at Mark's Off Road to see if he has a replacement spacer. I don't see this unit being easily repaired.
You can probably JB weld the tube back into the spacer. If not Mark might have a original used one with the tube, but definitely should have a billet aluminum spacer he had made. That one will need a tube added.

Thanks Matt! Mark confirmed that '64s had this setup. Studs were simply a little short. A new one is on the way tomorrow.

your welcome ........

THANKS for your support and believing in my SKUNK WORKS BRAND reproduction SOLID Nickle Alloy Retainer Chain equipped Genuine TOYOTA VENTED gas caps :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

these were NOT around in 1964 , however NOW 58 years later are in 2022 , the OEM Toyota Period Correct Part # 16381-60420

would you please allow me to contribute , a special pipe dream of mine to help in
Tink's preservation :D:beer:

thanks
matt

1642652463188.jpeg

1642652500584.jpeg

1642652524524.jpeg

1642652630909.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom