Timing Tip-worked for me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had just got my dizzy and carb back from FJ40 Jim and put it together

It ran but just barely---really slow and would not accelerate almost sounded muffled

When I originally set the timing I turned the flywheel from underneath since i still had the cover off but I couldn't ask the:princess: to put her finger over the spark plug hole to check for compression---that would never, never do. So I figured I had a 50/50.

Well I got a compression tester today and reset the timing
It was off as the rotor was pointed too far away from the no 1 cyl post in the cap to just turn the body so I pulled it out and gave it a little turn and put it back in-- at least I didnt do the 180

This time I set the oil pump slot so that it was off counterclockwise a hair from the rotor shaft end and just held a tiny amount of pressure on the cap---I gave a pull on the fan belt towards me and Snick! I could feel it drop into the slot which I liked a lot better than just looking at it and judging if it was seated.

Anyway it worked for me so you may want to try it

TDC on no 1 on the compression stroke
on the BB in the inspection window just above the starter

Sounds like you nailed it. Good for you, Happy Cruising!:bounce:

A trick I learned to find the comperssion stroke is to remove the plug and press in a piece of wadded up paper to plug the hole well. On compression stroke it will "pop" out. If it is tight enough it will be very audible.

Turning the engine slowly is a pain, especially if there isn't a large nut on the damper to get a breaker bar on. Another trick I recently read, but have not yet tried, is to put the tranny in top gear and remove the parking brake. Then rock (bump) the truck backwards a little at a time. This should spin the engine a little on each bump. Just don't be on a hill ;) Ask me how I know that my garage floor really isn't level... :doh:

Running

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...f-vid-oh-yes-alive-ugly-betty-runs-again.html

Here ya go Cooler!

The first one is kinda noisy cause I started with the choke pulled it settles down near the end

the second vid is at idle

It is dark when I get home so I am waiting for the weekend to do a run up to full temp but everything looks good and it was a relief to have it start up twice

Also need to check my Alt for output, water temp sensors etc

I think I am going to ditch the oil sensor and stick with the gauge permanently

Good idea on the paper I had some poly rubber foam I could of used if I had thought of it---I was blinded by the prospect of having a running motor!;)

What I desperately need now is to get the driveshafts to fit the 4 speed and I might get to see it rolling!

Drive shafts? Who needs drive shafts? Vehicles this old have rusty floors, just kick your floor out and put your feet through and drive it Fred Flintstone style! :hillbilly:

What I desperately need now is to get the driveshafts to fit the 4 speed and I might get to see it rolling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom