Timing Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled my distributor thinking my timing was off a little bit. Well now my timing is way off and the engine wont run for more than a couple seconds. That being said I have a few questions.

1. When verifying that I am at TDC on the compression stroke do I line the pointer up with the BB or the Line.

2. I am having a hard time figuring out when #1 cylinder is at TDC of the compression stroke. I went ahead and put a cotton ball in the spark plug hole for the #1 cylinder. I then hand crank the engine until the cotton ball pops out. So that being said is it safe to say that #1 cylinder is on its compression stroke when that cotton ball pops out and that all I have to after that is bring #1 cylinder up to TDC.

Thanks,
Drew

Its Alive!!!!!!!

I figured it out. I think there seems to be come confusion on mud about where the rotor needs to be pointing for the engine to run properly. I first tried installing the distributor with the rotor pointing at #4 cylinder. The engine would run but it would only pull 15 inches of vacuum at idle. I then installed the distributor with the rotor pointing directly at the bolt above the distributor on the engine side cover. The engine now seems to run smoothly and pulls a steady 20 inches of vacuum at idle.

Thanks,
Drew

A happy accident is far from good science. Rotor orientation is dictated by distributor cap orientation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Best

Mark A.

A happy accident is far from good science. Rotor orientation is dictated by distributor cap orientation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Best

Mark A.

Wouldn't rotor orientation be determined by the teeth on the gear that spins the rotor. I don't understand how the distributor cap dictates the rotors position.

You can install the dizzy with the rotor pointing in any direction, as long as you also turn the body of the dizzy so that the cap, when it is installed, has the plug wire to cylinder #1 over the rotor when the cylinder is at TDC...

I pulled my distributor thinking my timing was off a little bit.

You pulled the distributor because you thought your timing was off?:confused: All you have to do is loosen the clamp at the base to adjust timing if the vehicle is already running. Are you trying to adjust it without a timing light?:meh:

Drew... You have been getting replies and info from some of us who really do know our way around a Land Cruiser. Rather than starting multiple threads and hoping for advise that matches what you want to think... you would be better off to trust what we have told you on these problems.

Ideally I would suggest finding someone to give you some hands on help instead of working with the limits on just what we can do for you here. These carb and distributor issues really are pretty simple stuff. Eventually you will look back and realize that they should have been a matter of a few minutes to straighten out, and not needed all of the branching out that you have done from your original problem.

And if there is any confusion on how the distributor should be installed, or where the rotor should point.... I can assure you it is not on the part of Jim or Mark or myself.... or any of the others who have tried to help you in your other thread(s).

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom