Timing cover Gasket replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally have the time to properly tackle my oil leak around the timing cover. It is leaking via the paper gasket behind the plate and cork gasket. So I have to pull the cam shaft out. My question is what all should I have on hand (other than tools, coolant, oil, sealer, beer) while I do this?

-Valve Cover Gasket
-Side plate gasket
-Timing cover gasket
-Timing cover seal
-Plate gasket (not sure the technical name for this)

Do I need anything else? My head has been rebuilt so it should be good to go, I will adjust valves prior to VC re-install.

Also: Anyone in the Marietta, GA area who would like to come help I will buy tacos and beer.

Also where can I buy a lock washer for the harmonic balancer?

Tip: Make a card board template of the timing cover, poke holes in it for the bolts then put each bolt in it as you remove them. They are all different lengths and must go back in the correct place.

Try MArks Offroad for the lock washer. He probably has a box of them laying around!

If you are replacing the gasket b/w the timing cover plate and block and the screws currently fastening it are flat heads then do yourself a favor and replace with the torx head style. You can still get them from your toyota dealer...I don't have the part number handy but can get it from a bag I have at home.

Before you do anything to the timing cover seals, make sure your cover's mounting surface is FLAT. If not, it will increase your chances of a leak returning. Flatten out any warped sections as good as possible.

Also, be sure that you install the harmonic balancer onto the crank BEFORE tightening down your timing cover bolts as the balancer centers the cover on the seal.

ALSO...there are certain bolts on the timing cover that are through holes to the oil pan cavity...and these will need thread sealant to prevent leaks.

I took all the above precautions when I replaced my timing cover and the bastard still leaks like 1 drop of oil after every drive...way less then before but unfortunately not leak free.

@Coolerman
Unfortunately I am not starting with a clean example. I trusted a shop to fix this and they messed it all up. I will be buying new bolts for it. So them template is a great idea, but unfortunately won't help me. Ill measure everything and reinstall according to FSM. Ill check with Mark.

@S4Cruiser
I know the plate is bent so I will be spending time getting it flat or replacing. If you don't mind, that part # for replacement bolts would be great. Should I torque the nut down on the balancer, then replace cover bolts? I would be okay with a small drop of oil. right now mine spews oil everywhere.

How did it turn out? I started digging into mine last night. Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom