Timing belt (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True but it's a likely outcome on that year. Lying to him to protect his feelings doesn't help him in any way.
Didn't say anything about lying, that's a leap. Just having some understanding of getting some sucky and expensive news. Anyway, back to tech. bullelk, there have been a few of the vvti motors on here that have bent valves with a broken belt. Similar few of earlier models with no damage reported. But, overall I can't think of more than a few threads on a broken belt in any manner.

here is a recent one:

here's the other 1 I was thinking of:

seems both of these had an issue that caused the belt issue

Last edited:
here is a recent one:

here's the other 1 I was thinking of:

seems both of these had an issue that caused the belt issue
Seems like one of them possibly had valve damage, but he never posted the definitive. The other one doesn't seem to say anything about the engine being damaged or not. Thanks for posting those for me. I appreciate it.

NO they are not all interference engines. just the VVTI engine are interference.
it has been said earlier engines are interference engines but that is false.

some more info on your situation,
how long have you owned the rig?
how many miles?
has the timing belt been done? if so how many miles ago?
there was another post from a member, who had a failure due to an aftermarket water pump halfway thru the life of the belt.
The VVTI motors do not change the position in the engine of the valves, just timing. So are you saying that the pistons have a shorter stroke in the non-VVTI motors that wouldn't hit the valves if they failed open? I'm not sure that's true. If you're saying that the VVTI in some way increases the chances of a valve failing open and getting hit by the piston in a timing belt failure, maybe. But to say that the VVTI is what makes them interference engines seems unlikely.

4.5 years.
215k on the odometer but I've had sized up tires the last 100k miles
It was supposed to have been done but seems like it wasn't.
Belt failed pulling away at normal pace from a red light, while the transmission was shifting from first to second, around maybe 1300-1550rpms, and I was making a left hand turn. Hoping for the best. I'll know tomorrow morning in all likelihood.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well you are like maybe the third person I've ever heard make that claim. Very rare event.
I'm hoping for the best. Not sure it's going to turn out well. Already located a replacement engine to put in if its needed. Has less than 90k for $3500, I'm going to try and talk him down a bit if I need it. I'm really hoping I don't.

@200lc100 best of luck to you. Currently dealing with an issue on my freshly refurbished motor, I feel your frustration.

As for the VVTI interference/ non interference debate. I know on the 04's at least, the piston tops have cuts in them that correspond to the four valves. I do not know if this allows them to clear each other in the case of the timing belt breaking or if its just done for better quench zone or combustion. I do not know if they carried this design forward into the VVTI motors.

@200lc100 best of luck to you. Currently dealing with an issue on my freshly refurbished motor, I feel your frustration.

As for the VVTI interference/ non interference debate. I know on the 04's at least, the piston tops have cuts in them that correspond to the four valves. I do not know if this allows them to clear each other in the case of the timing belt breaking or if its just done for better quench zone or combustion. I do not know if they carried this design forward into the VVTI motors.
I just read your post. That's an interesting issue. That's really interesting about the tops of the pistons. I didn't know that. Interesting.

Going to be honest, I want it bad

It was supposed to have been done but seems like it wasn't.
Belt failed pulling away at normal pace from a red light, while the transmission was shifting from first to second, around maybe 1300-1550rpms, and I was making a left hand turn. Hoping for the best. I'll know tomorrow morning in all likelihood.

Thanks.

Not that it matters, but I’m guessing it was done.. just done with aftermarket parts. I think your engine will be alright too.

Zero compression in 4 cylinders. Shop thinks they can repair it, but I'm not sure that's my best option. What would helpful people on here do? I'm thinking just find a different motor, but I'm waffling and unsure.

Not that it matters, but I’m guessing it was done.. just done with aftermarket parts. I think your engine will be alright too.
I appreciate your positivity, but it just wasn't enough positive juju to will that motor into not being failed. Zero compression in 4 cylinders. Motor turns over but is extremely rough. Not a great situation.

Zero compression in 4 cylinders. Shop thinks they can repair it, but I'm not sure that's my best option. What would helpful people on here do? I'm thinking just find a different motor, but I'm waffling and unsure.

which 4 cylinders? all on 1 side or some on both?
how does the shop think they can repair it?

if both sides I'd probably find a replacement

which 4 cylinders? all on 1 side or some on both?
how does the shop think they can repair it?

if both sides I'd probably find a replacement
Both sides. Two on each side. Shop is quoting like $5-6k to repair. I think I need to find a used motor to put in. Luckily, this motor was in a lot of vehicles, but I think I need a VVTi motor so that makes the possibilities a lot more finite. GX/LX or 4Runner/Tundra/Sequoia/LC. Anybody have any decent resources for finding a used, but intact 2UZ-FE VVTi motor?

Both sides. Two on each side. Shop is quoting like $5-6k to repair. I think I need to find a used motor to put in. Luckily, this motor was in a lot of vehicles, but I think I need a VVTi motor so that makes the possibilities a lot more finite. GX/LX or 4Runner/Tundra/Sequoia/LC. Anybody have any decent resources for finding a used, but intact 2UZ-FE VVTi motor?
Lkq or jdm on ebay

See if you can get the 90K miles motor for 3 grand, have it installed.

You'll come out about the same cost as the shop's estimated repair but a lower mileage engine than you have now.

Interesting 😅

Sorry to hear man that's a bummer. Do you think maybe the water pump seized or something?

Last edited:
This seems to confirm the ongoing consensus on VVT-i motors being interference type. Sorry to hear about your loss.
At this point a lower mileage replacement motor does seems like your best option. I think you can use 4.7 2UZ-Fe from any of the Sequoia/Tundra/GX/4Runner but you might have to swap over the accessories, oil pan and even the exhaust headers. All pretty straight forward to do when engines are out on the stand.

I would be really curious to see the mode of failure on your old motor, if you decide to take the head off. Would be nice to see if the piston heads are just shaped differently to make the motor interference type or if there is something else.

Oh, and also paging @2001LC

Car-part.com. I did an engine swap for a buddy. Took us 4 solid days of suffering. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom