Time to vent (Solved and completed!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Because of vent...ilation. I love my 80. I HATE how every single job, even tiny ones, are way harder than they should be. I'm doing the PCV replacement and the damn grommet is harder than diamonds. I'm flipping off those guys that said it took them ten minutes. You know who you are. I got angry and just chiseled away at the top part of the grommet which gave me a small victory but now the bottom part is making it impossible to take the nipple out. I've tried chiseling away at the lower part of the grommet with a tiny flat head (I looked like a damn monkey inside the engine bay) which helped a little bit but not enough, I've tried using leverage by placing my long needle nose pliars on top of the solid brackets next to it. I thought I was gonna have a victory with this considering how much upward pressure it was creating but nope, they ended up slipping off and I got a nice little Grease monkey booboo. Then I tried a 2x4 underneath the pliars and that didn't help. Well it helped mentally because I got to put all of my frustration into cutting up a piece of wood. Does anyone here have any other clever ideas that I can use? Anyone wanna come over and just do it for me? My wife just got back from the grocery store and we have a fridge full of beer and liquor. 🤘🏼Btw I saw the thread where a guy used a bearing press... That'll be my plan z

0A8523EF-BEDF-4EDA-9A10-3B19731719FC.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you'd feel a lot better if you just remove the TB (4 bolts and 3 cables). Then removed the valve cover to fish out any loose pieces. Sorry to be that guy, but it is not a bad job at all, should take a few hours your first time around. (That is assuming you don't drink all the beer prior to the job...:hillbilly:)

I think you'd feel a lot better if you just remove the TB (4 bolts and 3 cables). Then removed the valve cover to fish out any loose pieces. Sorry to be that guy, but it is not a bad job at all, should take a few hours your first time around. (That is assuming you don't drink all the beer prior to the job...:hillbilly:)

I was gonna do this but I was close to stripping the screws. I'd have to go to The holy Grail store (home Depot) but I'll add this to my plan log. Including the drunk part. Thanks for the tip
Why not heat it up a bit to soften it and grab it with a pick to pull it out
I'll try this
My PVC grommet was also rock hard. I used a little Kentucky Jelly on it and it popped right out.
Kentucky jelly? Is that slang for ky gel? You sicko 😂
Also grab the nipple with a pair of needle nose vice grips then heat it up. It should pull right out.
I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna grease it up

Last edited:
I LOVE YOU GUYS. I LATHERED UP THE AREA WITH WHITE LITHIUM GREASE AND HELD SOME FLAME ON THE NIPPLE FOR ABOUT A MINUTE AND WITH ALL OF MY MIGHT I SHOOK AND PULLED UP FOR A GOOD 30 Seconds and it slipped right out. Time to go fishing for the grommet. Tweezers are King for this

Last edited:
Last thing, is the nipple supposed to have this much showing above the grommet?
CA5B7AC4-EB2B-4CE8-9DDF-70CA00AB3BCD.jpeg

looks good

How much of the hard broken PCV plastic is still inside the VC....:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom