Tick noise after BEB change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I changed my big end bearings last weekend and need some advice.

I Replaced the original OEM bearings (marked with "4", BEB Pictures Here) with standard size taiho. The old bearings looked ok and all of the rod journals looked good. I plastigauged only cylinder #4 and it was right in the middle of the range at .0015”. Cleaned the caps and journals with brake cleaner. Reinstalled each of the new bearings with engine assembly lube ( Permatex ultraslick ). Torqued new oem bolts to 27 ft-lb, then additional 90 degrees. Put it all back together (w/ new oil pickup gasket and fpig on the pan. Filled with new Delo 15w40 and new oil filter. Cranked it over by hand many rotations. Re-installed glow plugs and injector relief line (had them off for ease of hand turning the engine). Cranked it with the fuel cutoff switch unplugged several times until oil pressure came up. Started it up and everything sounded good the first few days.

A couple of days later after the truck was warm and i parked back at home, i noticed a ticking sound when parked in neutral. It seems to only be noticeable in the 850-1050 rpm range as when i bring the rpm up using the hand throttle or put it in gear dropping the rpm's, it is not noticeable. I have read all the threads about 1hdt tick and probably would not be concerned had it not started right after a BEB change.
Below is a link to my google drive sound clip of the tick noise:
It sounds loudest from when listening from the fenderwell or underneath the truck. I want to say from the bottom end/ bellhousing area but the location is not evident when probing even with a mechanics stethiscope.

For the others with a 1hdt tick, does this sound the same or am i hearing something worse?
Any suggestions on troubleshooting or path forward?
I was going to start by pulling the drain plug and checking for any metal. Oil analysis maybe?

Or do i need to just pull the pan again and inspect/plastigauge all of the bearings?
I have a 3yo and 2 month old, that combined with no place to do this type of job would make this a real hassle.. I park on the street and had used my neighbors drive way while he was out of town to setup shop and get it done the first time. But if it has to be done...

Any advice would be useful. I really hope that i didn't mess up a perfectly good working 1HDT.

A few other tidbits that might be important
-When cranking over by hand, i felt like heard a very light "ting" periodically, but wasn't sure if it was the ratchet or something else. It otherwise moved freely as expected.
-Before dropping the pan, i flushed the engine with Liquimoly engine flush (poured 1 liter into the oil fill, then ran at idle for 10 minutes)
-This is my second oil change since owning the truck and i haven't noticed anything like this in the 3500 miles that i have driven it so far. It did great on the 2500 mile cross country trip out here from GA to CA.
-I also performed a compression test before draining oil since it was warm and i had to remove the glow plugs anyway (all 515-520 psi).
-I unbolted the injector return line rail (in order to remove glow plugs, but i have done this before without trouble).
-Also did drain and refill of the A442f transmission (the tranny fluid color was not great as it was only my second drain/refill and the PO had let it get funky).
-I think that i have over filled the transmission (filled past the warm line when cold). I need to get park it on level ground and check it warm and cold

Below are pictures of the old bearings (Cylinder 1-6 is top-bottom, Cap side on left, Rod side on right)

Sounds like the ticking I get in my 1hdt. Mine is always worse right after an oil change. I also used taiho when I changed my beb. I changed them as soon as I got the car and its been about 30k klm so far.

The ticks in my 1HZ s were never regular like yours. Those old bearings look like they were replaced just in time.
Ive never done them, but I thought it was standard to use plastiguage on all cylinders.
I would drive it for a while ,m aybe a few hundred miles and see if goes away or gets worse. But if you are worried, you are going to have to pull it apart and check everything.
In southern California you could use a thicker oil like 20/50.

Did you use delo 15w40 on your previous oil changes as well? My tick will change or disappear based on type of oil used. It was always present with delo 15w40 and rotella Dino 15w40 for me.

I've found my engine runs much happier on a 10w30.

Did you use delo 15w40 on your previous oil changes as well? My tick will change or disappear based on type of oil used. It was always present with delo 15w40 and rotella Dino 15w40 for me.

I've found my engine runs much happier on a 10w30.

yeah, it was the same oil on the 1st change. Only other difference was that it was fairly well sludged up even after the first change. This time i flushed it with the lubrimoly and the oil was much cleaner after changing it. Also the first change was done in Georgia at the end of July, so it was much warmer. Was thinking of trying amsoil synthetic if i could find it for a reasonable price.

I am going to drain the excess tranny fluid out as it is definitely overfilled (don't think this would cause it but..). Also plan to crack each of the injector lines while running and see if it follows a particular cylinder. Change the fuel filter as it needs done anyway. And pull the engine drain plug, replace with finger temporarily and make sure it hasn't collected any metallic debris.

Glad to hear that it sounds like what others are hearing as well. rosco, i was suprised how high frequency and repetitive is was. I know now that i should of plastigauged them all, but based on all of the other threads i thought it was ok at the time.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and i appreciate any other suggestions as well.

A quick update.
  • I drained the excess tranny fluid which helped it shift properly but didn’t affect the tick noise.
  • pulled the engine drain plug momentarily, no debris (the plug didn’t seem to have a visible magnet though
-Cracked each injector line separately and the tick stays the same for cylinders 1,2,5,6. When I loosen cylinders 3,4 i don’t notice it any longer. Not sure if it goes away completely or is just timed coincidently with those cylinders and drowned out by the stuttering of them not firing. The tick sound doesn’t change at all for the other cylinders.

Is anyone else with the tick currently present willing to do the same test? Would be great to see if they behave the same or not.

-also noticed that it usually starts after driving around and warming up and will continue at idle in park. Sometimes it will stop after some time, if so putting it into gear and loading it up alittle will cause it to start again independent of rpm, and going back to neutral it will stop as well independent of rpm also.

I would like also to hear from someone who has had an actual BEB tick/knock due to the bearings and how it behaved.

That it is affected by cracking injectors 3/4 and is load dependent has got me concerned.
Firing order is 1-4-2-6-3-5, but 3/4 share the same crankshaft clocking.

Sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable but I'd probably run it for maybe 500-1000 miles or so and then change the oil. Submit a sample to Blackstone to see what you've got. When I first did my FT swap, it didn't tick at all. Suddenly on a several thousand mile trip up in Alaska, it started ticking quite a bit. Enough to make me quite nervous. From what I know now, it's just an inherent sound with these engines and it can come an go. It does seem to be influenced by oil changes. I just did a Blackstone oil analysis which came back perfect and I'm actually stretching out my oil change interval to 5,000 miles now. I'm also running Shell 15-40 and yeah, it's still ticking.

anyone try ZDDP zinc / phosphorus additive to see if it makes a difference in noise?

Mine has the same tick, a bit less frequent than yours though, same metallic noise though. I first noticed it right after an oil change, which you would have done in changing the BEB's. It did quiet down as I got some miles on the oil. When I first noticed the noise I dropped some oil and sent a sample to Blackstone, it came back with no issues identified. I have accepted it as normalish for these motors.

Just a quick update... I have put ~1000mi on the truck since the BEB swap. Tick noise has not changed noticeably. I sent in a oil sample at 500 miles to Black Stone and they didn’t find any issues (report below). I will probably take it to 3600 miles, send in another sample and then change the oil. Probably will switch to another oil type and weight, maybe amsoil 10w30 if I can find it for a reasonable price.

Anyone else have suggestions of an oil type that may reduce the ticking? Or an alternative oil in general (currently running chevron delo 400 sde)
F710A115-D40E-4BF7-A5DA-E74F852FC400.jpeg

My tick had gone away, recently changed my oil and noticed it has returned, maybe not as loud as before though. I'm using Rotella 5w40 T6, 10,000km/yearly oil change intervals.

Just a quick update... I have put ~1000mi on the truck since the BEB swap. Tick noise has not changed noticeably. I sent in a oil sample at 500 miles to Black Stone and they didn’t find any issues (report below). I will probably take it to 3600 miles, send in another sample and then change the oil. Probably will switch to another oil type and weight, maybe amsoil 10w30 if I can find it for a reasonable price.

Anyone else have suggestions of an oil type that may reduce the ticking? Or an alternative oil in general (currently running chevron delo 400 sde)View attachment 2001137

I recently did a 1HDT/H55 Conversion in my FJ62 and I have what I think to be a similar "tick". Mine, however, doesn't seem to happen at idle it happens more in the middle of the RPM range or at cruising speed (which is making it hard to diagnose). I don't have a tach hooked up yet or I'd post the exact RPM range. Below is video of mine.

The noise that I am hearing sounds like it does in the video above when the windows are down. When the windows are up I had what I thought was an under dash rattle but yesterday I think I concluded that they are one in the same. They just sounded unrelated when the windows are up versus down. Do you have this symptom too? Were you ever able to get this figured out? @Rock40 has me nervous on another post I have about this saying it sounds like a bottom end issue possibly.

I listened to your videos earlier today, what you've got is a different sound than the typical 1HX tick discussed in this thread.

Have you tried rolling around under the truck with a mechanic's stethoscope while a 2nd person brings the revs up to where the ticking occours, see if you can pinpoint it at all?

I listened to your videos earlier today, what you've got is a different sound than the typical 1HX tick discussed in this thread.

Have you tried rolling around under the truck with a mechanic's stethoscope while a 2nd person brings the revs up to where the ticking occours, see if you can pinpoint it at all?

I thought I had myself convinced last night that it was just something external to the engine rattling on something else. Until..... someone mentioned that it is too consistent and sounded rotating assemble related (my worst nightmare).

What are your initial thoughts on it? You thinking "big time" issue or external and not too big a concern? I know its hard to say from a 20 or 30 second video.

I thought I had myself convinced last night that it was just something external to the engine rattling on something else. Until..... someone mentioned that it is too consistent and sounded rotating assemble related (my worst nightmare).

What are your initial thoughts on it? You thinking "big time" issue or external and not too big a concern? I know its hard to say from a 20 or 30 second video.

Impossible for me to say. If you can get it to make the noise at idle, spend some time under there and see what you can find. Fingers crossed it’s just a loose bolt from the swap and an ash fix.

Quick update. I have around 5000 miles on the truck since the BEB change and the tick has not gotten any worse in a gradual manner over time. I changed the oil at 4000 miles from Delo 15w40 to Rotella T6 synthetic 15w40. I had hoped the ticking would go away with the change in oil brand. But it came back just the same (more noticeable right after changing the oil, less so later on). On my truck the ticking never goes away completely.

I haven't cut the filter open to look inside (threw it away before thinking about it), but will try that on the next oil change. I have checked compression (480-500psi) as well. Some of the valve clearances are out of spec, but not by much (cyl 3&4 clearances are the best), so i don't expect that will affect it. Updated Oil analysis at 4000 miles after BEB change (make up oil should of been ~2qts not 11qts as i was confused). Oil loss was due to leaky valve cover gasket after checking the valve clearances (need a new gasket and correct shims). Everything looks good in the report.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 6.40.48 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom