Throttle body changes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a faulty throttle position motor or motor gearing so I replaced the entire throttle body with a eBay used unit after trying to swap the tps and apps fist. To my surprise there is a difference between the one I received and the original. At the bottom of the throttle body there are two additional nipples for hoses. I just plugged them and put the fuel line in the original location. Now I have a slightly rougher idle sound and periodic gasoline smell. Best that I can tell from pictures of others on eBay, I need to plug my fuel line into the straight one of these two nipples and run a hose from the other to where the fuel inlet was on mine. What is this for and are my symptoms consistent with this? I’m confused. Anything wrong with plugging them like I did? Thanks.

Mine is a 99 and the listing said 98-02 lx or lc.

FYI, the part number from the eBay ad was for part number 22030-51042.
I am considering installing the new motor and gearing into the old throttle body housing vs running the hoses differently like I previously described. I haven’t done either yet so any advice either way would be more than helpful. I am also not sure that the fuel smell is related since it is intermittent. The partial missing/rough idle corresponded directly with the throttle plate change. I did replace the gasket with a new one btw. Thanks.

Nobody else has run into this? I have been following my fuel economy and it’s been worse as well. Is it possible that I didn’t seal something appropriately or installed the gasket in backward. Should the tab that extends outward from the gasket go inward toward the intake manifold or outward toward the throttle body? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Did you ever just install the new motor and gearing on the original throttle body?

Not yet, I was hoping to get advice or guidance first. Is swapping the gearing straightforward?

The tab on the gasket faces inward toward the manifold.

Neither of those nipples are for a fuel inlet. Fuel goes to the fuel rail, not anywhere to the throttle body. Those are coolant hoses.

The thing with one or two nipples is a thermostat. Part number 9091603128 starting in 8/2000. 9091603104 before that.

Here's an image to show you how the hoses run on that version. The extra hose that you need is 1629650020 with two clamps 9046713054. You'll see that it connects off the vertical nipple and routes around to another port on the throttle body.

The straight nipple that your old tb also had is also for coolant, but shouldn't have changed from the old throttle body. It connects via short hose 1626150090 and clamps 9046713054 to the port in the third image below.

2203050142.jpg

1626150090.jpg

1635550080-0.jpg

Thanks for the info. Why does the throttle body need a thermostat or cooling lines? It seems safe to assume that my symptoms are unrelated to the plumbing issues then, right? Perhaps I should jump straight to moving over the motor and gearing then.

So you you currently have three ports on the tb plugged? The two on that thermostat and a third where the vertical port would connect? Also I assume the port on the third image above where the straight port of the thermostat should connect is also capped. I just want to make sure the rest of the routing seems logical considering what isn't connected.

There is a fourth coolant hose as well (the longer one visible on the bottom of the photo below, which is actually the top of the tb). That does appear to be connected, but if the other hoses aren't there, then presumably coolant can't flow through the tb. You'd only have either an input or output, but no flow.

As for the thermostat, I assume it just opens additional coolant flow or cuts it off depending on coolant temp. But if none of the other coolant hoses are connected, then I assume none can ever flow. So I would not bypass all this completely and would not rule out that it hurts your performance. It could even cause damage. Consider that other parts of the cooling system upstream or downstream would be cut off from normal flow by blocking everything off at the tb which is just part of the cycle.

2203050142-0.jpg

Thanks for all this information. I only plugged the two ports shown in the pic. In fact I hooked the new throttle body hoses up identically to the way they were run on the old throttle body so I’m pretty sure all I did is bypass the thermostat to function just like the original. The conclusion I’m drawing is that the plumbing can’t be my issue, there has to be something wrong with the new throttle body. Sounds like if I can’t make one good one between the two I’ll be in the market for a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom