Throttle Body Freeze Plug? What is this leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
2004 LX. Wife came over to help out at our rental today and I smelled coolant. Opened the hood and found this. Fortunately it had just started, no pink in the driveway at home (~1 mile away).

As near as I can tell it's a freeze plug that got pushed out. We have had low single digit temps with 3-4' of snow, but this truck has been kept clear and driven every day. The only thing it has ever had in it is Toyota SLLC pink, so zero chance of water freezing. I feel pretty fortunate this didn't happen on the road or trail, but I don't recall ever seeing this before here on the forum. As far as I can tell, it's time for a new throttle body. That aluminum plug where the coolant is coming out around is completely loose and removable when hot, but fits solid and can't be removed when cool. When its fully hot it's a gusher.

I did just recently add about 1/3 of the reservoir volume to bring it back to full and was wondering where it was going. This probably explains it. My guess is it has been seeping for a while and today gave up the ghost altogether.

Howdy from Texas!
A quick search found this:
(I chimed in on my mod/fix)...and yes, a new throttle body will fix that if you prefer no mods

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom