Three BF Goodrich AT KO2 Failures in 7 months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just had a similar sidewall failure. Bfg say it was due to tire being under inflated and sidewall being pinched as a result. I heard a strange noise, which was a puncture, traveled at 65mph for about 5 min before realized something was wrong. Pulled over and noticed tire deflating. I estimate that the tire still had between 20-25 psi. It took twenty minutes till flat. The tire was 15000km old. I don't swallow their explanation. Tire was well within loading limits. I have been running a/t tires for 30yrs and this is first time I have seen this. Now don't trust bfg ko2 tires and will be selling the others. Disappointing from bfg/michellin

Just switched out my ko2's never ever could get them to balance. jumped up in size and went to nitto ridge grapplers balanced perfectly and never looking back.

Just switched out my ko2's never ever could get them to balance. jumped up in size and went to nitto ridge grapplers balanced perfectly and never looking back.
What size? I can’t balance my ko2s.

Mind sharing a pic ?

275/70/18 They have about 7k miles on them is all. I'm not too heart broken and will likely sell them I was really underwhelmed with the snow performance as well.
Actually meant what size up did you go with for the ridge grapplers

Actually meant what size up did you go with for the ridge grapplers

Mind sharing a pic ?

I put the Ridge Graps on my 20 inch wheels and pulled the 18 inch setup all together. I have run this same wheel setup on my 01 before with Terra's and really like the performance of the wider contact patch and the ability to get away from the e rated tires. Saves over 10 lbs per tire and the ride is sweet. We go out to the beach quite a bit and it works great without having to air down. I think it also out performs the the KO's in the winter stuff. If I stuck with the 18 inch I would have gone with the 305/65 but the weight and e rating was the draw back for my current usage of the vehicle.These are 305/55/20.

20181012_181702-XL.jpg

20181012_181628-XL.jpg

I put the Ridge Graps on my 20 inch wheels and pulled the 18 inch setup all together. I have run this same wheel setup on my 01 before with Terra's and really like the performance of the wider contact patch and the ability to get away from the e rated tires. Saves over 10 lbs per tire and the ride is sweet. We go out to the beach quite a bit and it works great without having to air down. I think it also out performs the the KO's in the winter stuff. If I stuck with the 18 inch I would have gone with the 305/65 but the weight and e rating was the draw back for my current usage of the vehicle.These are 305/55/20.

20181012_181702-XL.jpg

20181012_181628-XL.jpg
Looks really clean

I like the stance

I just ordered a set of KO2s, now I'm second guessing. Should I go with the Falken AT? they have a 55k warranty

I just ditched my KO2s and put ridge grapplers on. Got sick of trying to balance them. 175 70 18s. Will see how they ride. So far about same road noise.

I just put new KO2's all the way around on my dually, including a spare. I have been known to run pretty heavy with my camper loaded up, we'll see how these hold up.

I changed from Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Right off the bat-I noticed the KO2's are smaller than the same sized Nitto's were. Putting the new tires up against the old ones there was close to a half inch difference in the tires, new ones being shorter, and by looks not as wide. I could have stepped it up a few sizes if I had known before.

Update- I hate the ridge grapplers. Handling is squirrelly. Feels soft and mushy. Turn in is to fast, causes roll, and they feel almost out of control on my cruiser. Hwy is white knuckle

Had it aligned after install. Running 38psi. Have some weight in truck.

Anybody else have this?? At least the KO2s were planted!

So, i'm driving through the HD parking lot and my tire has a complete failure at 5mph. Never had this happen to me before. The sidewall cracked in two spots in about a 4" radius. 2017 june manufacture date with 12,500mi. Very disappointing and a obvious defect. Americas Tire said Michelin won't help with sidewall damage on a AT Tire. I'm calling Michelin tomorrow.

So, i'm driving through the HD parking lot and my tire has a complete failure at 5mph. Never had this happen to me before. The sidewall cracked in two spots in about a 4" radius. 2017 june manufacture date with 12,500mi. Very disappointing and a obvious defect. Americas Tire said Michelin won't help with sidewall damage on a AT Tire. I'm calling Michelin tomorrow.
Let us know what happens with their response. They did not do $hit for me and I had 3 such failures, two within an hour of each other. They will talk down to you like you are an 85 year old grandmother who does not know what a lug wrench is. (With apologies to any 85 yera-old grandmothers on the forum.)

Let us know what happens with their response. They did not do $hit for me and I had 3 such failures, two within an hour of each other. They will talk down to you like you are an 85 year old grandmother who does not know what a lug wrench is. (With apologies to any 85 yera-old grandmothers on the forum.)
The Michelin rep was very nice on the phone. She opened a claim and called Americas Tire directly to inform them i will be bringing in the said tire for inspection. When i arrived at a different Americas Tire store the manager looked at the damage and agreed it was a defect. He called Michelin and went to bat for me. Very nice guy. The best they offered was i pay for a new tire and they will send me a check for 50% of the total.
I wasn't really happy with this, but it was something. Imagine if i was with my family going 70mph down the freeway. I will be shopping a different brand next time.

I’ve had the BFG ko2 on my ‘01 100 and a set on my 40. I will never buy a set of bfg again. Never could get them to balance on the 100. They have been terrible all 4 tires have tons of weight on them to try and get them to balance. I bought them right before a trip out west and we shook the whole way. I should never have gotten in a rush and rejected the tires when I saw the weights on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom