Three BF Goodrich AT KO2 Failures in 7 months

Discussion in 'Tire and Wheel Tech' started by Capt. Jim, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

This sidewall failure was from February of this year. Tires were only 7 months old then:

image.jpeg

Just had two more sidewall failures this past weekend while driving home from SC to Florida:

image.jpeg

And about 1 hour later on another tire:

image.jpeg

Going to be speaking with BFG tomorrow. Still waiting on a credit they were supposed to send me from the first failure in February. I have lost all faith in their products and even more so of their integrity and customer
    service.

The tires were on my 2003 2500 Duramax that I have owned since new. Other than the tires that came with the truck when purxhased, I have always run BFG AT's. This is probably the 5th or 6th set of new tires I had installed on this truck, and none of the previos sets had any such failures. Nothing in the bed but two bicycles, a cooler and my half-empty cross-over tool box:

image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. kbahus

kbahus

Media:
    Albums:
    Wtf, has it been really hot down there? I have seen plenty of bulging sidewalls but nothing like that before. I have a set of those on my GX :eek:

3. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Not any hotter than it has been in the past 13 years that I ran the previous sets of AT's. Certainly it was not hot back in February when the first one failed.

I am almost religious about checking my tire pressures. Check them always just prior to leaving on every road trip.

4. UltraFJ40

UltraFJ40 ที่นี่และมี SILVER Star

That's really disappointing. I've often ran with the idea that they were the best all purpose tires around.

:(

5. SmoothLC

SmoothLC

6. Mudder

Mudder

@woody or whomever else has the power could this be moved to tire and wheel tech?

7. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    That is one huge chi chi, I would suspect it is a flaw in one production run.

Kinda glad I went Pro Comps for the runner.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  8. Mudder

Mudder

Flaw? If this is a flaw they need some serious QC over there. There's a whole other thread on mud about them having cracking problems.

9. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

CORRECTION:

Just checked my receipts. The original purchase of these tires was June of 2015. So, to set the record straight, my first tire failed at 7-1/2 months, the second tire, which was purchased as a replacement at the end of February, 2016, failed at 6-1/2 months, and the third tire, which was my spare, failed at 15 months, although it had been my spare for the past 6-1/2 months, having been on the road since new for only 7-1/2 months plus the hour or so it was on the road when it became my third failed tire.

Sheesh! Higher math.....

10. gregnash

gregnash Anal Retentive Analyst SILVER Star

Damn that is crazy... be thankful that didn't happen in some remote backcountry area, or while wheeling or hell even while driving faster than 20mph and not noticing.

11. 89cruiserfj62

89cruiserfj62 SILVER Star

What pressure do you run in them?

12. TLC Norway

TLC Norway woodwelder SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Any news @Capt. Jim ? Also had a fail now, after owning the tire for theth months.

13. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Nothing since the last two failures. I have given up on having BFG/Michelin do anything for me regarding their defective tires. I have also given up buying any more of their crappy products. Bought two complete sets of tires from other manufacturers since these failures that replaced BFG and Michenlin tires. One set on my 4-Runner and another set on wife's E430. Soon I will get a new set for my Silverado and they will not be BFG's. Crappy product that was once good and even crappier customer service.

ewillis and gnob like this.
  14. greentruck

greentruck

Albums:
    Seems like they are from different groups of production, given the interval over which they were bought, but hard to say. I know BFG produces the KM2 and KM3 in batches, which is why they go out of stock for brief periods from time to time. And this sort of thing can happen with any tire, but the followup is certainly disappointing. Given their lack of response, it's worth considering that your experience should be reported to official channels as it could save someone's life:
    File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

krice118 and coleAK like this.
  15. cruiserpilot

cruiserpilot

This is why I don't buy or endorse the BFG's any more. I tried to run AT's, and didn't have any issues
    until I started to air them down. But on the last 2 sets I had 1 tire in 4 with catastrophic sidewall failure
    just like the pictures. Won't own them anymore.

Capt. Jim likes this.
  16. krice118

krice118

never been on the BFG bandwagon, i like to go against the mainstream and try different things, thats why I drive a cruiser in the first place

17. greentruck

greentruck

Albums:
    That's cool, tires are like a lot of good things in life, pick the ones that please you most.

I'm just old enough that I started with BFG's when THEY were what was against the mainstream. Radials? They'll never get popular....

It is disappointing, as a long time BFG user, some 40 years right now, that this problem wasn't addressed. At a minimum, you'd want the customer to get a correction enticing enough to get them on some safer looking tires and not showing these off on the internet. But that's just my customer service thing, guess it's not BFG's any more?

Still, my own experience is very positive and BFGs have been reliably getting me there and back for a long time.

ajordan1975 and krice118 like this.
  18. ajordan1975

ajordan1975

I've been running all forms of BFG's for 20+ years, and never, i repeat, never have had any type of problem w/ any of them! Radials, AT's, MT's and Krawlers.
    Pulled 60k out of KO's on my 4Runner, Pulled 65k out of another set of KO's on my old F250. Just sold my excursion a while back, and had 35k-ish in KO2's. still had a little more than half tread.
    Just waiting for spring and I'll be buying a set of 37" KM3's for my LX450.

Tires are what they are. Every brand has a bad batch from time to time. Nothing you can really do about that.

greentruck likes this.
  19. cuteo100

cuteo100

Media:
    But this is no excuse for treating those who did have the 'bad batch' badly.

Capt. Jim likes this.
  20. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Finally replaced the crappy BFG's on my Silverado with Nitto's. Put the old tires on Craig's List and someone bought them the first day. He needed only one because of a sidewall failure on his similar BFG's. I think this problem is more widespread than they care to admit. If you are running KO's or KO2's, beware....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.