Thread of 3B (and B, 2B, &3BT) mods and upgrades - please contribute specifics. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rockaway Beach, NY; but was 14yrs in Saskatoon, CA
I think it would be nice to have one thread about all the mods possible to a Toyota Diesel, especially but not limited to 3B.

What I mean is a thread for short descriptions on target pics, and specs and part numbers and sources for parts.

Let's get it all into one place.

Why?

A thread by someone shamelessly plugging upgrades he cannot quantify or qualify in order to drum up business for his "Innovations" made me feel what we really need is a clear and crisp list of 3B engine upgrades, 3BT upgrades, 2B upgrades, and B upgrades.

Please specify your engine and specify if the upgrade carries across designs or is specific to your model.

Please only talk about the 4 Toyota models listed above.

Lets discuss turbos, superchargers, pounds of boost required, limits to boost, intercoolers and when required/intercooler drawbacks, water/methanol injection, propane injection, injection timing and adjustment, engine rebuild upgrades, clutch requirements due to increased horsepower, and dyno results. Don't forget to include kits with their suppliers and contact information. If I missed any ENGINE mods please feel free to add.

Not interested in switching to rad fans, switching to electic water pumps, etc... to save half a horsepower unit.

Not interested in your life history or anything not LC engine related.

Not interested in jobbers or people who want to advertise.

Let's concentrate on engine and engine related upgrades, and pros and cons of each upgrade including damage from overaggressive use of each approach.

Thanks in Advance,

T.O.B.A.S.H.

Last edited:
FJ 60/62 rad (4core) into a BJ60. Straight bolt up and instead of relocating the lower return pipe I added 2 extra hoses to make it attach to the stock bottom hose. I also added an inline block heater. More efficient design and larger. Basically its a variation on Kynot62's mod with out brazing in a metal pipe. I used rad hose instead. I get a pic later.
Total cost:

Radiator 50$
Heater 50$
Hoses 20$ x 2
adaptor 5$
total 2500$

Here is his. Erm it might be VTCDN's im not sure. Maybe they can clear it up. I couldn't find the thread I only saved the pic. Mine is the same except I used some radiator hose and dont have all the other do dads
radiator.jpg
radiator.jpg

Last edited:
After changing direction many times i went with a supercharger.
I have no hopes of vast power improvements or close to turbo boost #s.
I wanted a little snappier response over stock and something different from the norm.
The blower is an Eaton M62 off a 3.8 GM with a stock driven pulley.
The drive pulley is a modified 7" off a GM S10 or Sonoma.
The stock drive size was about 4.5", i can't seem to find out exactly and really haven't looked that hard.
I have added a small 2'' intercooler with 2'' piping.
I HOPE to have a few LBS of boost AT or near idle and a max of maybe 12 at red line.
For what i will be doing with the truck i thought this was a better way to go.
I have yet to even start it up so i have no numbers or even impressions only hopes.
475.jpg
476.jpg
482.jpg

After changing direction many times i went with a supercharger.
I have no hopes of vast power improvements or close to turbo boost #s.
I wanted a little snappier response over stock and something different from the norm.
The blower is an Eaton M62 off a 3.8 GM with a stock driven pulley.
The drive pulley is a modified 7" off a GM S10 or Sonoma.
The stock drive size was about 4.5", i can't seem to find out exactly and really haven't looked that hard.
I have added a small 2'' intercooler with 2'' piping.
I HOPE to have a few LBS of boost AT or near idle and a max of maybe 12 at red line.
For what i will be doing with the truck i thought this was a better way to go.
I have yet to even start it up so i have no numbers or even impressions only hopes.

Holy crap Baxter! Please post more about how you did that.

You are playing down a little bit. I see belt tensioners, A/C?, but I am not sure i see oil lines or the exhaust manifold.

Awesome IC instalation. Looks very finished and almost factory. Very clean mounting hardware.

Please be less humble and show more pics including all sides, top rear and front.

Very nice!

Here is his. Erm it might be VTCDN's im not sure. Maybe they can clear it up. I couldn't find the thread I only saved the pic. Mine is the same except I used some radiator hose and dont have all the other do dads
View attachment 537143

Very clean.

How well does it control your heat?

Best,

T

It works extremely well. I run a 88C thermostat with a taurus electric fan and it only comes on for prolonged stops at lights. I will be really testing it out this summer pulling my 23ft Rv. Its an easy bolt on upgrade anyone can do.

g

It is is my build thread, but i could post up some more pics of the blower mounting.
There are also some pics showing some of the head work i have done, you may be interested in that as well.

Damn that supercharger one looks cool not sure about it here in the mud but nice work

From the jungles of Malaysia

LJ77 with 13B-T slipped in and a H55F GEARBOX - Mods done to "RED or lil DOZER".

1. 13B-T fully stripped and rebuilt and added 14B-T CAM, Fuel PUMP and Timing gear.
2. Modified Turbo from 7M
3. Fuel pump from 14B-T fitted so its now rotary not mechanical
4. Modified the air intake to be almost twice the size by cutting and adding a strip to top and bottom
5. Added intercoolder
6. Boost set to 21PSI - FIXED.
7. Added Wastegate and welded up factory hole

I have no idea of HP or TORQUE but this thing does pull HARD. It's a kitten until you step on the gas slowly or hard it reacts the same your pushed back in the seat. It will take of in 2nd without battling an eyelid and 3rd with minimal clutch slippage.

it is driveable from 1800-2500 then change up and it pushes yuou back it the seat in 3/4/5th. Wind out to 3500 and it will give even a modified 7M powered LJ77 a run for its money.

Running 8/39 (4.88) it was too low ratio even with 35's and would wheelspin we now running 9/41 (4.11 i think) and its a little slower as we also turned down the fuel to reduce the smoke

DYNO due soon as its reregistered and I will post it. It must have way over 400NM of torque

It will sit on a genuine 130-140k on the highway also with more left hahaha poor little tin tops and boy racers have no idea hahahahah that this battered and bruised LJ77 can is a Wolf in SHEEPS clothing ahaha.

Pics soon.

CHENGAL_IMG_5368_RED.jpg

bumping the old thread-

i have some questions as i'm getting the 3b in my 40 in the next month-

anybody have info or links on flipping the 3b manifold to use with a turbo? I saw it somewhere and can't find it now-pro's and con's to doing this? i'm looking for the 13bt manifold that isn't the same cost as my whole drive train.

also saw some threads on polishing the cups or something-i'm new, absolutely new, to the diesel world so excuse me if that's not right but you know what i mean.

anything else that gives the 3b a little more grunt? i chose it knowing what it is, but in the event that i ever want to haul a trailer, i'll predominantly be overlanding and daily driving.

plus, just seems like a good thread to bump-

The flipped manifold I think was for a td04-9b turbo off a Dodge d50 that does not map well to the 3b. It's meant for a 2.5l diesel motor or a 1.6 l gas engine cus they came on dodge colt too. It's possible to make it work but I don't recommend it as you'll be working that turbo to death with any significant boost. They are also not common anymore to find .Those vehicles were made in the 80s

Any more Infos and experiences on the topic?

How about taking a few mm. off the Block/Head to get some more Compression?
Porting the Head?
Working with ceramic engine coatings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom