Builds Volvo 2 - C304 from totally neglected to something different (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geckoadventure.net
The first part of the build can be found in the Volvo truck section but the truck is taking a hardcore attitude so I will push the remainder of the build to here

Volvo 2 - No not another one

Last edited:
9 February 2018

Info for all followers:
1. The cabin is in a workshop 13k south of my office
2. The chassis is in a secret workshop (hidden behind a 12 foot high fence) 5k from my office and is on the way home lol. Its a great place to drop in at 7pm on way home from work and see all the PINZGAUERS and my VOlvo in there.
3. The Engine/gearbox/Axle conversion and restoration work etc is all done in a my long time 4x4 Toyota professors workshop 30k north of my home

Got this picture of the Volvo from the Cabin shop after much hounding as the shop was always closed and they did not answer calls etc for progress. They have not made much progress.
20180209_WA0000.jpg

I called into the shop earlier that day and got the Myanmar worker who speaks little english. I saw little progress.

They rung me and said they wanted another 7 months to finish the cabin. I told them they have 2. What they don't know is if I don't see progress in the next month im going to get it myself and do the work in the secret workshop. I hvae indicated to them I want to see progress I cannot wait.

15 February 2018

Unbelieveable Andrew managed to get a auto tranny workshop on CNY eve to come and join the autogearbox to the engine.
20180215_WA0011.jpg

A frame is now being built above the Volvo 2 chassis to hang the engine and gearbox from so they can lower it slowly and correctly into it's correct alignment.

The rollcage bender is arriving from USA in coming weeks but nothing will be done until the cabin is returned. However, the engine and gearbox will be fitted and got running in the meantime.

Meantime same day while I was standing in the secret workshop I got the bad call from the Toyota Professor.

The AXLES are bad. Chipped crown and pinions. Smashed locker mechanisms and one ruined HUB. All can be repaired with MONEY please send lol.

The DISC conversion has been done and is slowly being assembled onto the axles.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming over to the hardcore corner! Can you share more about your Disc conversion? I just started my conversion of portal axles to my landcruiser, and not finding much information.

My build "what the foo" is what I am working on the portals - link below.

I will try since most of it is known to the local engineering shops here.

Landcruiser II Discs and Callipers front and rear I believe - I assume you can use 80 series also
Machine out the Volvo 8 stud hub.
Machine in a Toyota 6 stud hub
Machine away a bit of the axle hub with grinder to make calliper fit without rubbing
Buy Missbitchy (Mitsubishi) triton 16" rims
New bearings to hubs
Fit Hubs to portals Fit callipers and bleed brakes
Add sneakers to RIms and fit sneakers to axles
Pray and test drive lol - it works done my first Volvo with this method.

eLSE you can use the TigerBus German conversion kit which is registered with german govt. We cannot afford the cost over here in Malaysia the cost for us is prohibative.

I will try since most of it is known to the local engineering shops here.

Landcruiser II Discs and Callipers front and rear I believe - I assume you can use 80 series also
Machine away a bit of the axle hub with grinder to make calliper fit without rubbing
Buy Missbitchy (Mitsubishi) triton 16" rims
New bearings to hubs
Fit Hubs to portals Fit callipers and bleed brakes
Add sneakers to RIms and fit sneakers to axles
Pray and test drive lol - it works done my first Volvo with this method.

eLSE you can use the TigerBus German conversion kit which is registered with german govt. We cannot afford the cost over here in Malaysia the cost for us is prohibative.

Yeah, I can't afford TigerBus either. Do you think they could do the above and ship to the states? I can cover the prayers - all I do on my test runs!

I have contacts to your south in Singapore that might be able to help and have a brother in law that flies to KL quite often.

By the way saw your pictures of the Hindu cave temples near KL in one of your posts. Almost got my camera taken by a monkey a few years back. Oh, good times.

I found a shop here in the states that might be willing to do the conversion. I am looking for what rotor and caliper they use in the conversion. Is that something you can help with?

I will shoot you a PM also.

Sorry, to keep bugging you... here is where I am stuck looking for details..

I do not know this process either they keep this secret you send them the hubs and they return as 6 stud. I will ask my mekanik how they do it.

Spoke to the Toyota genius today. They use the existing hub, They carefully machine off the hub down to Volvo 8 studs then they centre it all up and drill in the 6 toyota stud holes in the same hub.

You can use forerunner discs or hilux or 80 series callipers mine are LC II which is the same as forerunner callipers.

I will put a pic of the portal with new hubs fitted up later tonight as I collected them today from the toyota genius.

17 March 2018

Big day I'm officially grounded for a 7 days with my heart playing up. Hence no visit to work on Volvo 1. I decided it was Volvo 2 day instead so I got a friendly chauffuer and we trooped out to collect the portals after a hearty breakfast which are now converted to run Toyota discs oh and the bill crikey that also caused more heart issues.

First a replacement portal was obtained for this welded up missing pair of teeth. I also know a machine shop 190k from here which can produce these so I will make trip to them to see their costs etc.
20180317_111433.jpg

Then the broken locker was replaced this one is only good to recycle into a complete Mazda car.
20180317_111437.jpg

Then we noticed the twisted axle so thats now being replaced if we can find a part here.
20180317_114821.jpg

Then we loaded up the newly converted portals and trooped off for lunch with a well earned beer and a pub meal.
20180317_114825.jpg

Then it was off to the cabin shop and we inspected the cabin - little progress has been made apart from the cabin being split into 2 but it was back together again with 2 bolts holding the cabin together. Progress will accerate this week with 2 other car body's being removed from the shop today. No pics from here since it looks same as last visit. Yes I'm a little frustrated but progress is moving forward.

Then it was off to the Chassis workshop and the portals were put into storage and we dsicussed the engine/gearbox being dropped onto the chassis. It is expected to be completed this coming Friday along with the water tank for Volvo 1.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Can you take a picture of teh bracket that the caliper mounts on? I am not familiar with LCII or forerunner calipers? Are those the larger of the choices?

Thanks for the help. Can you take a picture of teh bracket that the caliper mounts on? I am not familiar with LCII or forerunner calipers? Are those the larger of the choices?

I will get some picture this week. However I'm ordered to stay at home and work for this week also so it will be Friday night when I get down there to collect Volvo 1's water tank and take some pics for you.

You should be able to get front callipers from any chop shop (potong kerata in Malaysian)/wrecking yard for a Toyota Forerunner or a 80 Series (these will be bigger) and you should/must buy new rotors and pads and all the bearings need to be replaced to be totally safe.

I will try and get the part number for you as these will be a common Toyota part from similar toyota's cars or 4x4's.

Whats diameter of the axles? How many splines on those?

Crikey tough questions. Axle splines no idea will count when I get the replacement this week.

axles width will be 6'6" roughly or about 2.0 meters. Weight - HEAVY lol.

Saturday 24 March 2018

Chauffer turns up early in the morning and we order the front windows yet again for Volvo 1 and hand over the perfect template which are 3mm smaller than the window frame.

Then we head down to the Cabin workshop for a surpeise visit. Hey presto he is closed. I received a warning SMS during the week from a concerned person telling to get the Cabin out of the workshop as they believe it will not be completed. I'm pissed they did not respond on Friday to my gimme a progress report please also.

Then off to collect a compressor switch for Volvo 1 from the local overpriced ARB shop.

Back to the chassis workshop - no progress this week they are working on a PINZ instead.

Then we pull out the portals to look at the brakees and the new kingpin cap I have had made. It doesn't fit a new custom set will be made.

People been asking about the disc brake conversion.

The discs and all the bearings and seals are brand new. Only the callipers are second hand. Remeber all BOLTS etc are METRIC not imperial.

6mm or 1/" plate for the mounting bracket for the Toyota Landcruiser (Forerunner or Hilux or Landcruiser II) front calipers.
20180324_160514.jpg

Top view of the setup
20180324_160521.jpg

The hub the 8 stud Volvo parts are I assume cut off in a lathe. Then the Toyota 6 stud PCD pattern is drilled into the centered hub.
20180324_160556.jpg

So it all looks ok.
20180324_160703.jpg

Just to confirm the plate is 6mm or 1/4".
20180324_160715.jpg

WHen the calliper is finally fitted a small amount of trimming is done by hand with the angle grinder to allow the calliper bolt to fit in - minimum material is removed.
20180324_160930.jpg

The DISC diameter is 305MM or 12"
20180324_161021.jpg

You could possibly use 80 Series Brakes and also fit 3 pot brakes etc just depends whats the best brakes available in your local chop shops, for us LANDCRUISER II is plentiful and powerful enough.

Hope this helps the ones who asked if not ask more questions.

Last edited:
Wonderful information. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom