Thoughts on this one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have been looking to get an FJ for a while, came across this one in San Antonio. Apparently it was picked up in Colorado and he has gotten tired of the build so he is looking to unload for what he has in it.

My concern is that it doesn’t have the original engine, but some of the things he has done to it seem nice. If y’all could let me k ow your thoughts it would be appreciated.

Thats a lot of cash for a project that is not close to being on the road.

What is your intended use of a 40 Greggo? Body looks nice and the work done to it seems to be well engineered. I'd say that is a fair price in today's market if you are looking for a project as long as all or most of the parts are present.

Intended use is weekend driver, mostly around town and out at the farm with the kiddos. Also looking for a project to build my skills and hen maybe tackle something bigger in the future.

There's still A LOT of work to do there, although a chunk of work was done. It looks pretty solid overall. It's always interesting finishing someone else's project. Personally, I like to see how everything comes apart. $8k seems high for a non running, no brakes/steering/etc project. There is also wiring for the fuel injection, and all the fun that goes along with it. These projects usually come up as someone usually bites off a rather large set of projects on one rig: V8 swap, tranny swap, fuel injection, SOA, bodywork are all major projects, let alone the same time.There are lots of loose ends to tie up and it will probably snowball into much more. Ask me how I know.

That said, if you like it and would enjoy a fairly large project...offer low and have fun!

I never access value. What I see, is it will still need to be put together the rest of the way, then blown apart and painted for a quality finish, frame and body. The exhaust is not welded. The frt disc brake conversion was done by using what looks to be GM calipers, which would concern me. It may still have coarse spline birfields. There's still a ton of work left.

At this point, he’s completely uninterested, don’t let him tell you “if I don’t get 8k, I’ll just finish it myself”...no way that’s happening. This appeals to about .05 percent of fj40 buyers. If the work so far seems good, all the parts are there, and you’re capable of wrenching, offer low. He may decline then call you a month down the road. 8k is too high unfinished imo. Good luck!

Welcome to Mud!
FYI - an FJ is the FJ Cruiser. The FJ40 is called FJ40 or sometimes just 40. :smokin:

I wouldn't suggest someone else's project as a way to build your skills, unless you got some decent skills to start with. Besides that, I agree with the others in that its a bit much for an un-completed project. He will never get what he has in it. The laws of projects don't work that way.

If you look at it and can't help yourself, offer him $6k cash and see how reacts. That will tell you where is real sell it price is. If rejects the offer quickly and acts like you're a low baller, he isn't ready yet. Tell him you have cash and will be ready when he is ready and walk away. If he reacts slowly in his rejection, then you know it won't take much more to close a deal. Ask him where he's at on pricing. If he gives you a number off his asking, you can be pretty sure to get it for whatever the middle is between $6 and his number. Now you just dance until you reach that middle number. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I should have added, personally inspect everything and assess how much is missing. Especially smaller things.

Then decide what your willing to spend number is. That tells you what your starting number is.

I’ve seen a lot less for the same price or more. A lot of the ‘hard’ stuff seems already done.

On the flip side, you’ve got paint ($$$), wiring (PITA), accessories/small bits (that can make you crazy sourcing and getting right) and brake lines (I actually really enjoy doing these) left.

Also keep in mind that while it seems cool looking and so close to being finished all bolted together, all that s*** has to get removed so you can have the frame painted / powder coated....then you get to put it all back together and make it fit as it should!

I say go for it! I also enjoy a good project!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom