This little piggy needs a welder (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Information overload is right. I will spend some time looking at links and funny Canadians and see what I can learn. I am a research kind of person...lots of it! Richard, I didn't even think about the welding thing before the last meeting, but I will take you up on your offer to come up and see sometime. You really aren't that far from me (as I learned last weekend). I think it would do me a world of good to give this a go. I looking into the votech thing a little bit, but the more I read and learn what I don't know, the more attractive that option looks. I gotta do some more research...:)

Y'all are so wonderful, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

Just let me know when your coming up, a 6 pack of something tasty :beer: will get you a welder to try, scrap metal to use, and someone whos been welding for almost 1/2 of their life.:cool:

anyone had experience with this unit?.....ebay CT518D, 50A Plasma Cutter/Tig/Arc Welder 110/220 Volts
1 year USA Warranty.item number: 110111008799
have been looking at it and salivating;

Lou

Chuck, you are probably the closest to me, do you think I could come check out your Piggy and your welder/welding some time?

Sounds good. I'll be happy to pass on my limited knowledge to a fellow PIGGER :pig: Bring your mask I got plenty of scrap for you to practice on ;p

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=148582

Heather I'd stay with a 110v. For what you are doing it just doesn't make sense to have a 240 right now. And they are a pain to find power for. You could get the dual power one but why bother with the extra expense. If you have something heavy to weld tack it and take it to someone who has better knowledge. For sheetmetal you will be using the low range of any welder.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=148582

Heather I'd stay with a 110v. For what you are doing it just doesn't make sense to have a 240 right now. And they are a pain to find power for. You could get the dual power one but why bother with the extra expense. If you have something heavy to weld tack it and take it to someone who has better knowledge. For sheetmetal you will be using the low range of any welder.

I somewhat agree with trollhole. I bought a miller 135 first, took a short welding class, then decided I wanted to do more, so I got a ac/dc stick unit. I think that getting into welding is like getting into making stuff out of lumber. You can start simple, but the more you do it, the equipment starts piling up. It depends on the type of person you are. If you're someone who goes full tilt into something, you'll probably be wanting more. The fact that you've started on a pig overhaul leads me to think you'll really enjoy welding.

Once you get started, you start thinking about all the other stuff you can do with steel and a world of possibilities start opening up - bumpers, tire carrier, roof racks, steel work benches, fixing broken tools, bar-be-que pits and grills, trailers, etc... The danger is that you'll start looking at cheap, broken cars, trailers and other stuff and think you can just spend a small amount of time fixing it up and have something really nice. Welders also have loads of friends as they are always asked to fix things that someone broke. Welding generates a good amount of heat, which is nice to do in cooler weather; but you'd roast in GA in july! You also gain knowledge about basic metalurgy so you can start doing your own soldering with plumbing and brazing too.

If you get addicted to welding, you'll start looking at oxy-acetylene setups, chopsaws, drill presses, mini-grinders, and tubing benders. The more you have, the more fun you'll have. Just have fun, ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom