This is no pig...it's an onion...and every layer has more fun! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all. Front end is now torn off as I try and get to the base layer to work my way back. With the inner and outer fenders both off, I'm wondering if now is the time to deal with the suspension issues I'm thinking I have.

Here are some photos. I'm certain the bushings on the mounts are toast, and I'm thinking the pistons and springs are probably needing to be dealt with too.

However...as I am no where near an expert on this rig yet...I'd love some feedback on what y'all see here.

Thanks all!

Passenger side front first...
IMG_0803.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg

Bushings and shocks are not as bad to change as you may think. They're fairly easy, just take time and the proper precautions. There are 24 spring bushings front and rear. You need to know if you have stock springs or aftermarket, this will make a difference on which bushing size you get. Irecently purchased doetsch tech shocks and a steering damper for 270 shipped to my door, including sales tax. I thought it was an alright deal. The bushings can be bought at cruiser outfitters or specter, maf has a limited selection of sizes. Bushings are about 2.50 a piece. You might consider getting new spring pins and shackle pins- the hardware is usually crusty and rusty. I'd say a guy should be able to get the front and rear done in a w/e including some time for honey-dos and a test drive. If you have never removed a leaf spring, you should do more research first to cover basic safety and process.

What are the suspension issues you are having???

trust me, lose the coil-over shocks

and LAMBCRUSHER speaks the truth about safety when removing leaf springs

Thanks guys. I haven't had any suspension 'issues' thus far...as the rig has never actually driven anywhere under its' own power further than in and out of the garage:)

I bought the rig non-running. The PO didn't declare any issues with the suspension...but as we've all discovered throughout I'm sure...that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't issues there.

I'm pretty familiar with suspension work, extracting/replacing bushings, etc. I don't know if there's anything wrong with the coilovers, but it's pretty obvious the bushings need replacement. If I have to tear it apart to deal with those, might as well replace the shocks if need be since it's all there.

That said...no coilovers huh? I've always had coilovers in my sports-cars, but these came on the rig and I am in no way tied to them. What I'm looking for in the suspension is not rock-crawling capability, but the ability to do the 4-wheeling necessary for driving to Mt Hood Meadows, Bachelor, etc. Otherwise, it's going to be a family hauler for long-distance (for us 3-4 hours) drives on the highway 85% of the time. So swapping those puppies out for something that'll make this swine ride like a Caddy is good with me:) I'm sure that will irk the rock-crawling crowd, or the 'restoration' crowd, but I like me some comfy:)

Thanks guys!

Oh...and as you can see right now, I have the inner and outer fenders off. I'm awaiting my new radiator and would like to be able to put the inner fender-tub back in so I can get the radiator mounted up and keep working on the engine mechanicals. Any reason putting the tub back in would make the suspension work that much more difficult? I don't mind work by any means, but if it is that much easier to do it with all that stuff off of there, I'll do it.

Oh, and any suspension recommendations from y'all are most appreciated! Thanks guys and gals!

the coil-over shocks will make the ride bouncy

search here for the different spring packages people are running

as far as doin' the suspension prior to putting the front clip together, I wouldn't worry about it either way

Thanks bogus. I was hoping to hear that. I didn't really want to have to wait on putting the front end back together. The suspension work is easy, in comparison, since I know what needs to be done. The radiator replacement will give me an opportunity to actually run the engine for a while and find out what other surprises lurk inside.

I'll dig around some more on the site. I just like hearing up-to-date input from y'all on what you like in your rides. Thanks man!

Right on
I had coil-overs on the rear of my pig with MAF safari springs (no longer available) I ordered the shocks about 2" longer than normal static ride height to help keep her even when it was loaded. We tend to do some MULTI-day expedition trips, and have put some serious weght in her.
Now I'm running 5" lift Alcan's. I ordered them 500 lbs (IIRC) over stock in the rear, and 250 lbs over in the front. Also runnin' Doetsch Tech shocks. The ride is great, and the springs work beautifully so far.
P3270078.jpg
P3270073.jpg

Hey bogus...does it make you uncomfortable is I say 'nice rack'? Love that setup!

That is some serious suspension travel you have going on there. Can you tell from the photos I posted, what is on my rig and what I can/can't do with this setup? I'm having trouble determining what these coilovers are, when they went in, etc. The PO has no idea as they came with the rig when he bought it from the original owner. Thanks for the feedback and awesome photos by the way!

Thanks.

Looks to me like those are run of the mill Gabriel shocks. That's what my old ones were. Your springs look like stockers. Do you have an "ultimate" gameplan as to what you want to do with the rig? If not, I would just put some add-a-leafs and good shocks on it for now, get it on the trail, and see how you like it. Don't dump a bunch of time and money until you spend more time learniong what the rig can and can't do, what you want it to do, etc.

Where are you located?

I'm just south of Portland, OR. My ultimate goal is to have a comfy family rig that we can take to the mountain to go skiing/snowboarding, road trips to eastern Oregon, beach, etc. Nothing major. I highly doubt ill be doing any trail-running either (too many other 'hobbies':)

"comfy family rig" :lol:

kidding...........

well, not really

it'll be loud, hot in summer, cold in winter, breezy all the time, etc.

I would get it back on the road and start tweeking from there

I'm just south of Portland, OR. My ultimate goal is to have a comfy family rig that we can take to the mountain to go skiing/snowboarding, road trips to eastern Oregon, beach, etc. Nothing major. I highly doubt ill be doing any trail-running either (too many other 'hobbies':)

Well...comfy is relatively self-defined as anything more comfortable than the race-prepped Audi I drove for 7 years:) The kids loved it on the track, but when you can feel every pothole, the complaints start rolling in:) I don't mind them though, and that's what's reallý important here:)

:cheers:

Just have fun with it and enjoy it

As I'm sure you're aware, the people here will be a wealth of help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom