This is bad, Right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You KNEW what were getting yourself into when you buy a 1FZ-FE....It is part of the PM.
I’ve had this one 8 years now. It’s about time. I’ve only put 35k on it in that time. Most of them in the first couple years.

@ElPolloBlanco : what symptoms was the engine having, why did you do the test??
Running hot was the main reason. It’s also been really low on power on the first drive. When I get out of the neighborhood and give it gas it kinda bogs down in second gear. Once it gets warmed up it’s better. It’s at 185k so I was a bit curious as well. The half moons have sealant on them so I assumed it had been done in the past. If I wasn’t in California, I’d throw a Vortec in it, but that’s not really an option.

Running hot was the main reason. It’s also been really low on power on the first drive. When I get out of the neighborhood and give it gas it kinda bogs down in second gear. Once it gets warmed up it’s better. It’s at 185k so I was a bit curious as well. The half moons have sealant on them so I assumed it had been done in the past. If I wasn’t in California, I’d throw a Vortec in it, but that’s not really an option.
Nothing against a Vortec, but that's not a simple or cheap solution. As it happens, today I had a reason to "punch" my beast in 4lo w/lockers and, afterward I mentioned to my dogs "Oh, my I kinda overdid that huh?" Engine has ~ 20k miles since a complete rebuild. Moral of the story, a fresh 1fz-fe does pretty good (even if it really loves gas stations) 💰 :bang:

You KNEW what were getting yourself into when you buy a 1FZ-FE....It is part of the PM.
Why Am I not surprised !!
Why are you trying to turn this thread into a 1FZ-FE versus 3FE thread can’t we get past that !!!

The 1FZ-FE is just getting broke in at 185k
It shouldn’t even need a valve job.
Deck the head and Valve seals and all the while you’re in there stuff.
Another option if George can’t get to it is
@Shoppy here on mud and owner of Nelson‘s garage in Cayucos California
He’s really good with Land Cruiser’s and 80s in general and owns a few of them.
I had him do mine and am really happy with the work he did.
Ask for Mike when you call !!

Last edited:
The 1FZ-FE is just getting broke in at 185k
It shouldn’t even need a valve job.
Deck the head and Valve seals and all the while you’re in there stuff.
Another option if George can’t get to it is
@Shoppy here on mud and owner of Nelson‘s garage in Cayucos California
He’s really good with Land Cruiser’s and 80s in general and owns a few of them.
I had him do mine and am really happy with the work he did.
Ask for Mike when you call !!
Good Gouge!! I'll reach out to them as well. I have about $1000 worth of parts sitting in my garage as well. Everything needed for a cooling overhaul, plugs, wires, distributer, fuel filter, a bunch or stuff just sitting there.

My head gasket just failed last month. I scratched my head and remembered I bought a head gasket kit from Cdan about 15 years ago. (Full bow to the Shaman.) Opened the drawer in the back and there it was sitting in the bottom. lol. I got to work and 3 days later had the old cruiser going again.

I don't hate IFZ-FE, I love LC...mostly MUDbags that associate on here that i cannot stand...there is a diff.
There’s no reason for name-calling and it’s you that’s always flaming the fire.

There’s no reason for name-calling and it’s you that’s always flaming the fire.
You stay out of this mess. This is kinda personal to me and you are NOT on my agenda.
I am flaming the fire now. The torch has been handed down to me and you know what that means....
Cattle dog lover or not.
Say hi to Steve (Baldilocks) for me on Veterans day. I rather hangout with redneck Jeepers...🖕

Last edited:
@Broski imma ****ing say this now. I love this forum and many i have met in person via this platform and i am blessed with meeting good peeps and lifetime friends. But this 1FZ-FE is Best thing since slice bread attitude need to STOP. And those continue to fuel on that rhetoric will continue to hear from me for as long as i am on here. At this rate, Jeeps crew gets more credential than Yota peeps in my book and I am not afraid to say it. I am saying this now because I have tons of jeep friends and they are not about bashing other year and models of jeeps like we are on here...Shame on us really and each and every single one of us on here are no exception, including myself...I am sick and tired of debating on here and I am sure most of you are tired of me.... now everyone can STFU bout this and move on.

Last edited:
Both engines are fat, slow, and ancient. A guy with a 2JZ swapped Lexus LC400 passed me yesterday. Now that is a sexy Toyota.

Both engines are fat, slow, and ancient. A guy with a 2JZ swapped Lexus LC400 passed me yesterday. Now that is a sexy Toyota.
Who doesn't love a 2JZ or any motor swap for that matter. However, that is NOT the point of me buying an 80s or any classic vehicles. Slow, steady reliable and capable is what 80 series is all about..

@Broski imma f***ing say this now. I love this forum and many i have met in person via this platform and i am blessed with meeting good peeps and lifetime friends. But this 1FZ-FE is Best thing since slice bread attitude need to STOP. And those continue to fuel on that rhetoric will continue to hear from me for as long as i am on here. At this rate, Jeeps crew gets more credential than Yota peeps in my book and I am not afraid to say it. I am saying this now because I have tons of jeep friends and they are not about bashing other year and models of jeeps like we are on here...Shame on us really and each and every single one of us on here are no exception, including myself...I am sick and tired of debating on here and I am sure most of you are tired of me.... now everyone can STFU bout this and move on.
LIFE IS TO SHORT
Take a deep breath and let it go.

To me this site is about helping each other
If someone has a different opinion it shouldn’t matter!!

I don’t see people say the 1FZ-FE is the greatest thing.
I see people starting the fact’s that there more powerful.

If my but as slow 1FZ blows another head gasket I will fix it again and keep wheeling because that’s what I love to do.

If your happy with you truck that all that matters.

It takes a bigger man to let it go.

LIFE IS TO SHORT
Take a deep breath and let it go.

To me this site is about helping each other
If someone has a different opinion it shouldn’t matter!!

I don’t see people say the 1FZ-FE is the greatest thing.
I see people starting the fact’s that there more powerful.

If my but as slow 1FZ blows another head gasket I will fix it again and keep wheeling because that’s what I love to do.

If your happy with you truck that all that matters.

It takes a bigger man to let it go.
I just can't...guys on here are entertaining.
Most of my 80s crew are 1fz-fe owners, and I have no problem with them and we wheel regularly.
I love my truck and if anyone talk s*** about them then it is personal. You know how that goes....
The HG joke is all fun and game, well for me anyways, not so much for most on MUD.

I just can't...guys on here are entertaining.
Most of my 80s crew are 1fz-fe owners, and I have no problem with them and we wheel regularly.
I love my truck and if anyone talk s*** about them then it is personal. You know how that goes....
The HG joke is all fun and game, well for me anyways, not so much for most on MUD.
When people state facts that not bagging on your truck.
And you shouldn’t take it personal.
We totally hi jacked this thread
And I apologize
And I’m done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom