Thinking of getting a '82 FJ40... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i found this 1982 FJ40 in good shape...still original paint and the top has never been removed. Surface rust on the rear corners and on the bottom of the rear tailgate. 196K, original 2f, runs great, new muffler, power steering is fine and interior in good shape. The front seats need to be redone but that's about it on the inside and has rear jump seats in good shape as well. What would something like this go for?

Doyou have pics? Alot depends on how bad that rust is. Just a thought, If you need to pass a smog test, make sure it is all intact(the emissions stuff) good luck!

I am heading over this morning to check i out more. I have the guy down to $3000 for the truck. Good price for a all stock 82?

Well i just got back from test driving...and it doesn't itle too well. It has a weber carb and i think the fuel filter is clogged. Shifted fine, but it had more rust on the rear corners and rear panels. The sil would need to be fixed as well. The top has minor surfact rust. This would make a great project rig...i got the guy down to $1000 cash for the truck. Is a project '82 worth $1000?

I'd be all over that deal like white on rice and a glass of milk and a paper plate in a snow storm! :beer: to whoever knows what movie that's from...

$1K sounds like a great deal to me, but I don't know too much about these things. I paid a lot more than that for mine.

What was his original asking price? I'm assuming it was more than $3K, maybe around $4-5K? Seems like he's coming down in price pretty fast, sounds like he's trying to unload it quickly. I would be skeptical. But then I'm a skeptical guy, sometimes too much so. Did you check the rest of the frame for rust? How do you know the fuel filter is clogged? I've never seen one clogged bad enough (from normal use) that would cause an engine to run poorly at idle. There's probably a different problem there. And yeah, if you live in a place with emissions testing, i'd be worried about smog. If it doesn't pass, you'd have a very large driveway anchor.

But hey, for $1000, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You could always sell it for at least that much. Unless it's stolen, then just part it out. :D

Horsehead,
"I'm gonna put my foot so far up your ass, the water on my knee will quench your thirst "

Last edited:
Major Payne good movie.
One of my favorites. Especially the story about the little train that could.

Gary

Did you do a compression test. If the compression test even showed the engine would last a while, that would be a great deal. Again, pics would really help here.

Did you give up on finding an 80?

For a $1000 I would take it in a heartbeat, but I am partial to 79 or later 40's. Most engine parts from an 82 will interchange with fj60 parts, so finding used parts is not terrible. Heck, if you don't buy it I will be in OK next week and I will come down and buy it.

Later
Scott

If you dont buy it get the info to me and I will come get it wherever you are as long as its not rusted out. Did you get any pics?

Lucky one

If anyone was wondering, I ended up with the project. As you can see, there is a little rust. Suprisingly, the drive train is in pretty descent shape. No major leaks at front hubs or drive shafts. Engine drips pretty bad but does not smoke. Clock shows 190K which appears to be correct. Runs but doesn't idle due to a booster leak and carb problems. Up side; doors, top, controls, and frame are all in pretty good shape. I just have to figure out weather to start this project or finish the '70 model have been tearing apart. What do ya think?
82 1.jpg
82 2.jpg
70.jpg

I think you ought to sell it to me and make some $ for yourself :)

No need to have a project sit and waste away. Might as well pass it on to another cruiser head.

Last edited:
Nice rig David!!! I'll be down in waco this thursday (fingers crossed) to pick up that Fj62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom