Thinking of buying a 60??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a very nice 2000, 100 series as a DD and "fun" vehicle. Nothing hardcore, but I enjoy using it for primitive camping, old fire roads, and back country Colorado exploring. Unfortunately gas is killing me as I drive it 25K per year for my job. I know a 60/62 won't get better mileage, but if I sell the 100, I can afford a new economy car and a truck! Can I get a decent rust free 60/62 for $5K to start building? I love my 100, but have always wanted a 60/62. thoughts?

You have a sweet 100. I really like 60's but I would not want to be without my 100. My 60 is a lot of fun and I am more likely to drive it on the weekends, but the 100 is a totally different creature. Faster, quieter, dependable (newer), comfortable, did I say faster?

I think you could find something nice for that price range if you keep your eyes open for a while. Take a peak in the classifieds, you should get an idea of realistic (and not) prices.

If your gonna keep to the same type of terrain as you would with the 100 I say keep it, looks nice by the way. I had a 100 and wish we hadnt sold it. But I bought a 62 with a V8 that was built for anything.

I would love to keep the 100, but with the miles I drive during the week, it may not be practical. Like I said in the beginning, gas is killing me. I need a nice reliable/economical car for my job , but also want a weekend "fun" vehicle. Currently the 100 serves both purposes. I thought about keeping it and getting an inexpensive commuter, but I really need something reliable for my work travels. I cannot afford to breakdown 200 miles from home. I was thinking a new Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris, which would leave $ for a 60/62? :hmm:

Keep the 100. Its already built and its a great truck for all your needs. There are plenty of used economical cars out there that will be reliable.

I agree completely. You already have a built truck that will be a pain in the ass to sell, most likely, and you will get minimal return on the modifications done. Get a 6 year old Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla and keep the 100. If you do decide to go through with it, $5 - 6K can score a pretty nice 60/62.

Selling the 100 can be tougher than you think right now. Maybe I can trade you my 62 and saab 9000 which gets 30+mpg for your 100?

but really though, you could get an older corolla for a decent price. keep the 100

Add me to the list of keep the 100 and buy a small commuter car. Unless you're gonna make a full time trail rig, you'll still have the 100. Additionally (albeit a small bonus) you already know how your 100 works on trails/fire roads. No new idiosyncrasies to figure out.

On the other hand, I do love my V8J60

if you do go the sell the 100 route, might I strongly recommend a VW TDI as the commuter car. 2002 - 2003 seem to be the best years, and the Jetta wagon (which I just got) is made all In Germany. I can pull 50 MPG on my daily slogs. Oh, and it's tons more conmfortable than a real econo box, ie Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit. I would have a hrd time selling that 100 though, my 80 series makes my 60 series feel new. I could only imagine going from a 100 series to a 60, if you plan to do any miles on your weekend travels.

Just remember you can make you 60 as fast and nuts as you want to. I know I love driving my 60 over any other vehicle I own. Range rover and beemer owner here.
I took some time to increase the horsepower with a 383 stroker conversion as well as a 5 speed with a splitter making highway driving a dream too. It rolls down the road at 90 mph with tons of oomf left. The sppeed ometer ends at 85 and with the 35s I was probably doing 100. You'll love the simplicity of the 60's hands down. Nice 100 though!

Not to Hijack here but...

Just remember you can make you 60 as fast and nuts as you want to. I know I love driving my 60 over any other vehicle I own. Range rover and beemer owner here.
I took some time to increase the horsepower with a 383 stroker conversion as well as a 5 speed with a splitter making highway driving a dream too. It rolls down the road at 90 mph with tons of oomf left. The sppeed ometer ends at 85 and with the 35s I was probably doing 100. You'll love the simplicity of the 60's hands down. Nice 100 though!

I have a tendency to trust Cruiser folk and many also own beemers (cars that have a less than stellar rep with many) my question is this...

Is it a bad thing to want a late 80's 635?
I absolutely love the lines of the E24 (?) body and want one REALLY bad.

Oh and PINT....get a 60

Last edited:
If you have always wanted a 60/62 then go and make it happen - you already know that it will be different from your 100, and so what?
You have a desire for a 60/62 - weather it makes sense to others or not - go for it; it's your dream. You'll have a smile on your face every time you look at it.
Be daring - paint the canvass of your life with your own colors.

I'll cheer you on...:cheers:

I will trade you for my FJ 60.

Search for the Beagle Chariot.

Let me know.

Nice rig! Maybe we'll talk in a few months when I'm ready to unload the 100!

This is the idea. I can sell the 100 and buy both a commuter with good mpg, and a Cruiser! Get a clean 60/62 and build it into what I want over time. Lift, 35's, gears, 5 speed, either a V8 or diesel, bumpers, sliders, etc...

If you can, drive a 60/62 first. As people have said, its a totally different animal.
I love my 60, but if I had driven an 80 or 100 before I bought it I MAY have gone a different route.
More info before you make a decision isn't usually a bad thing.
Bryan

trapper -

I have a '79 633Csi since 1983, 60K mi, lowered, rolled fenders, rubyred w/ a 5sp, Stroh headers - that is so pretty I like to just look at it. It's like a sculpture. Who cares if you can drive it. You will never regret it, and they will not be avail much longer

re: 100 v 60 - love'em both - but SO different - and a mildly built 100 like you have will be very, very hard to replace in comfort, capability, efficiency - if you're worried about gas prices, do NOT depend on a 60 for your routine use -

I have a '79 633Csi since 1983, 60K mi, lowered, rolled fenders, rubyred w/ a 5sp, Stroh headers - that is so pretty I like to just look at it. It's like a sculpture. Who cares if you can drive it. You will never regret it, and they will not be avail much longer

re: 100 v 60 - love'em both - but SO different - and a mildly built 100 like you have will be very, very hard to replace in comfort, capability, efficiency - if you're worried about gas prices, do NOT depend on a 60 for your routine use -

I want an 88 635csi Euro L6 in Cinnabar Red so bad I can taste it.

Pint: The 60 is just a simpler truck with tons of parts and mods available to a 2 banana mechanic. Solid axle, all leafs and plenty of storage space and you can make it as mild or wild as you want. I love mine. Having said that though, its rustic....72 on the highway tops unless you drop a v8

I have an 87 FJ60 I'm thinking of selling. It's restored and worked on by Jim Dickey (Gardena, CA). Rebuilt engine, rear disk brakes, brand new 5 speed, clutch, brake, paint, seats and much more. What's the going price for 87 FJ60's?
I have all the receipts for all the parts. It has about 215, 000 and great condition.
FJ60 right side DSCN7056.jpg
FJ60 Left side DSCN7055.JPG
FJ60 inside rear DSCN7047.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom