Things to look at HJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, I'm looking at an HJ45...wondering what I should *really* be worried about with the engine side of things.

It's a 74 from South Africa LHD HJ45
i understand it has an H41 setup and H diesel. It has been sitting for over 5 years but is started everymonth. Anythings I should worry about?

(man I though FJ55's were hard to find stuff on!)

I think South African Troopys were RHD.

Look around the sill for rust. Check the floor boards. Check the sill ( around the doors).

Look inside the rear corners of the tub.

Don't let the guy start the vehicle till you get there. Feel the radiator or block to see if it's cold or not ( to confirm he didn't start it).

While running remove the oil filler cap. If smoke comes out, the motor will need a rebuild.

Drive it in 2 high, 4 high, 4 low etc.

Yada.. Yada... yada.....

Once you poke around it a little, you'll realize how much it's like a 40.

Call me back if you want more info.

PS. I would love to sell you a troopy

Seth

Unless its some rare museum piece thats been kept indoors with lots of love and attention I would say you will be looking at a partial resto.

As Seth said make sure you see a cold start watching the exhaust while the seller starts it. If it has good compression it should start easy and smoothly.
When its warm up let it idle then give it a hard rev and watch the smoke again. If you getting clouds of blue smoke the rings or valve guide seals are bad.
If its black smoke it probably a fuel problem and can be fixed with not too much money.Sometimes the black smoke can hide the blue smoke so be careful
Check the body and chassis thorughly everywhere.

Being started for a short while every month is not necessarily good for an engine. Most of the wear happens when an engines cold.

From S Africa it should be RHD but it could have come in from another African country or been driven overland from Europe like so many of their cruiser are.

Take lots of pics:D

Last edited:
Thanks for some more info...the body isn't so much of a worry, it's basically the engine...I would hate to spend a chunk of change and have to rebuild an engine.

I would LOVE a troopy but I think the *might* be out of my range ;) I'll call ya.

this one is a truck, and here is some of the smoke in the photo's that I had from the past. I'll try and get some more info this weekend on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

what is that air canister from?
the exhaust in the back means a hole in the floor. the olour scheme is pretty cool though...
if youa re getting it cheap enough then go for it but he is my take on the matter:
if you can not afford to loose the money then walk away. any time you are dealing, you must calculate for a loss...
cheers

crushers said:
the exhaust in the back means a hole in the floor. the olour scheme is pretty cool though...
if youa re getting it cheap enough then go for it but he is my take on the matter:
if you can not afford to loose the money then walk away. any time you are dealing, you must calculate for a loss...
cheers

What would you thikn "cheap enough" is...lol...

I mean we just DON"T have these in the US. Bodywork...no issues for me...I more concerned about the engine. I'd REALLY love a troopy but they WAY over 10K for anything that isn't trashed.

you do have the FJ45 in the states so swap a 2H in or a 12HT and save a lot of importing stress...

as for cheap, i mean that you can afford to loose the money should something not go right...

I look at smoke only partially, bad glow plugs or inadequete glow heating looks white blueish on start up. Once the engine has been running for min or two the exhaust should be relatively clear. But older diesel generally always have some stuff come out.

my mercedes diesel will leave a stain on the snow when running in the driveway for a few minutes. The engine starts fine and drives fine. So I don't put a lot of emphasism on smoke. Unless it is smoking while driving(blue). A little black is ok.

If your worried about having to rebuild the engine then make sure you do a comp test.

But if you want a for sure truck, like Wayne says, buy a FJ45 and convert it to a JDM diesel engine. Otherwise budget for engine expenses.

crushers said:

I think it's from and oldsmobile :hillbilly:

How many KM's Ben. If your that worried about it I can look at it with you on the weekend. Look for bluish smoke on accel too.

Nine out of ten of HJ45 pickups I've looked at have had cracked, broken, repaired, Hacked, welded or tweaked frames and the trucks have poor structural integrity.
Many of these trucks have been worked hard.

If it's an HJ45 pickup, In my opinion I think the frame should be of greater concern.
If a troopie your odds are better.

Whats the gear stick warmer all about and that RH glove??
Does this gearbox need taming:eek:;)

brownbear said:
If your worried about having to rebuild the engine then make sure you do a comp test.

agree ..

brownbear said:
But if you want a for sure truck, like Wayne says, buy a FJ45 and convert it to a JDM diesel engine. Otherwise budget for engine expenses.

is an option .. but is a money issue .. how much for this truck and how much for a warranty engine .. JDM

FL cruiser said:
Nine out of ten of HJ45 pickups I've looked at have had cracked, broken, repaired, Hacked, welded or tweaked frames and the trucks have poor structural integrity.
Many of these trucks have been worked hard.

If it's an HJ45 pickup, In my opinion I think the frame should be of greater concern.
If a troopie your odds are better.

This truck was imported into the US in 1978. So it couldn't of have *THAT* hard of life in the US. Don't ask me how it's in here, but it's titled and registered in colorado.

I'm trying to get down there this weekend, I may take you up on that Wes!!!

What is involved in doing that?

Buy engine, trans and tcase and related parts. Fab trans crossmember and engine mounts. Wiring, cooling, drivelines, exhaust, fuel system, clutch, ect.

We are putting a 1HDFT in a 67 FJ45 right now in my shop.

Cheers

Buy engine, trans and tcase and related parts. Fab trans crossmember and engine mounts. Wiring, cooling, drivelines, exhaust, fuel system, clutch, ect.

We are putting a 1HDFT in a 67 FJ45 right now in my shop.

Cheers
Holy moly, if you have a stock one you really have to change all of that? I understand exhaust, wiring, fuel system? Thanks for your help!
How are you going with the 1HDFT conversion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom