Voltage at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
80 series with dual batteries. Uses 24 volts for start and runs with 12. At idle it's reading 12 +/- at both the dash voltmeter and the auxiliary one and when running it's approximately 14.5. Also, when the signals are on at idle the tach and factory voltmeter "bounce" a bit.
What should it be reading and how to eliminate the "bounce?"
Alternator has been rewired to 120 Ah.
Thanks

If you are referring to the arm on the voltmeter bouncing when the signal is on, I have heard it’s harmless, my BJ60 does the same thing. I can’t help much more, but flip to page 305 on the manual - it talks about what your running voltage should be at 2000 RPM.

Good luck.

IMG_2009.png

Not sure about the tachometer bounce, but a little bit of bounce from the voltmeter is not uncommon when the flashers are running. It is just an indication of the varying electrical load from the flashers. You could try cleaning your battery, fusible link and ground connections in the engine bay to see if that helps any. Could also be aging connections behind the gauge cluster or even on the circuitry inside the cluster itself. At 14.5V @ 2000rpm I'd say your charging system is working as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom