The "Un-Official" Off Road Trailer Pic Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When a single wheel hits a bump, it compresses the suspensions primarily on that side. That wheel travels up a greater distance than the opposite side, which would cause a twisting motion in the links. The style of links on his trailer primarily allow vertically motion with no twist... The only twist you'd get would be from deformation of the bushing, which obviously puts a lot of strain on the tubes, eventually breaking the welds.

When a single wheel hits a bump, it compresses the suspensions primarily on that side. That wheel travels up a greater distance than the opposite side, which would cause a twisting motion in the links. The style of links on his trailer primarily allow vertically motion with no twist... The only twist you'd get would be from deformation of the bushing, which obviously puts a lot of strain on the tubes, eventually breaking the welds.

I had a similar situation on a Jeep Cherokee that has a similar setup. Aftermarket control arms were junk and just had nylon bushings for movement. No twist really at all. Flexing the front axle tore the control arm mounts right off the axle. I got some hiem joint arms and never tore anything again.

One tire bumps shouldn't be articulating the axle all that far. If it isn't moving much and it is tearing things up then there's a fundamental problem in the design. How is the axle located laterally? If it is tearing up brackets and links it is binding and the lateral locator could be part of the problem.

And, since this a Pic thread rather than a tech thread, coming back from last year's Parker 425:
i-Jm5wRQz-L.jpg

Dude, nice! I like the Gx- I may be going that direction

Thanks, took a few years to build the trailer, but came in at a way more livable price point than waiting a year plus for a purchased one, plus it's exactly what we want.

The GX is a sweet rig and really good value on a used one. When you get a V8, lots of amenities and some uniqueness all for a price several thousand less than a comp 4Runner...it's a no brainer.

Tires on the Jumping Jack are getting a little old and the basic trailer wheels have seen better days. I picked up a set of stock wheels and newer tires off an XJ. I'm sure I'll have to do a little work to the fenders for clearance. Worst case I can either remount them or grab some different fenders at the local trailer supply place for ~$20 per. Long term I'd love to either change the hubs for 5x150 or even just get spacer/adapters so I can run the same wheels and tires as my 200, but for now the Jeep wheels and these tires ended up cheaper than new trailer sized tires.

PXL_20210330_021322113.jpg

Our Smittybilt trailer we have modified.
88924222-001D-4B95-AA55-F7D16A75438D_1_105_c.jpeg

Adding my latest to the thread:

Hive.jpg

@WCDAVE What are the wheels on your trailer? They look like the Alcoas that Ford used to use, but those were never offered in 6 lug.

@WCDAVE What are the wheels on your trailer? They look like the Alcoas that Ford used to use, but those were never offered in 6 lug.
They are just American Racing truck wheels. Not sure of the model. 0 offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom