The "Un-Official" Off Road Trailer Pic Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just saw this thread and will show my Three Feathers Trail Head. It's a 2018 that I bought used listed on ExPo classified early this year (2020). I've made a few mods and am currently making some changes in the galley. Details can be found in my thread in this section, link also in my sig. Here's a couple pics:

IMG_1421 (2)a.JPG

With awning and wall kit deployed
IMG_1453 (2).JPG

That looks as if you are having to much fun to call it "work" in progress! What I like about the M101A types of trailers is that they provide a much bigger canvas to paint upon. More compact trailers such as mine impose some limits and force some choices between fun ideas and useful ideas when you'd love to implement them all.

Keep sharing pictures!

Nice trailers , mines a work in Progress

View attachment 2422523

I went with this m1102 Becouse I wanted a mobile “Hunting Lodge” for certainly field edges overlooking woods. Also wknd fun with the kids (Mrs. Needs a break) and I wanted interior space. It’s not something I’ll take on extreme trails- as it certainly is large. Yet it weighs only 1700lbs as it sits now (Aluminum). My objective is a military cot, Water and Electric next. Probably just going to keep er simple. Still like using it as a trailer as well.

D8BA8130-EB41-4BA1-BA3F-DFB4BC91B9CA.jpeg

BA2729D9-9191-487D-9E87-29C231515543.jpeg

32C197CF-C46A-4A78-9C40-6D4D45A2DDF4.png

Just saw this thread and will show my Three Feathers Trail Head. It's a 2018 that I bought used listed on ExPo classified early this year (2020). I've made a few mods and am currently making some changes in the galley. Details can be found in my thread in this section, link also in my sig. Here's a couple pics:

View attachment 2397737

With awning and wall kit deployed
View attachment 2397744
do you like this trailer? and does it tow ok with the length?

do you like this trailer? and does it tow ok with the length?
Not sure what you mean "with the length", but it tows great. Absolutely no problems on road and backing up is easy with my '94 LC. Off road, the departure angle pays off as well as overall ground clearance. I've not taken it on any tight trails yet, but expect the tongue length to be a disadvantage. The tongue jack wheel may help some. Mixed satisfaction though, to be totally honest. I like the interior water tank for below freezing camping. Separate screen doors provide superior ventilation. Mods that I've made to the galley have seriously improved satisfaction. I like the shore power hookup for an alternate way to camp and charge battery. With the newer companies like Overkill and Boreas that use no wood are superior builds. The body frame on mine uses wood along with floor and interior trim, so time will tell how well it holds up to the rigors of off road trailering.

Not sure what you mean "with the length", but it tows great. Absolutely no problems on road and backing up is easy with my '94 LC. Off road, the departure angle pays off as well as overall ground clearance. I've not taken it on any tight trails yet, but expect the tongue length to be a disadvantage. The tongue jack wheel may help some. Mixed satisfaction though, to be totally honest. I like the interior water tank for below freezing camping. Separate screen doors provide superior ventilation. Mods that I've made to the galley have seriously improved satisfaction. I like the shore power hookup for an alternate way to camp and charge battery. With the newer companies like Overkill and Boreas that use no wood are superior builds. The body frame on mine uses wood along with floor and interior trim, so time will tell how well it holds up to the rigors of off road trailering.

You answered it perfectly. Thanks

Here is my Covid-19 project. Built on an old 4x8 ft harbor freight trailer. New suspension, springs, wheels. Built the trailer with reclaimed redwood. Siding is fiberglass shower board painted and clear coated. Interior was an old television cabinet.
First trip was out to Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California. Towed great. Plan to use it for off-road over landing with my FJ60 or son’s FJ cruiser.
D9BE835E-9894-412B-A3C8-F37D2AD453A9.jpeg
F439D69E-9516-4102-BBA5-74E564142EC0.jpeg
A4645DF2-2F3F-42A1-A033-7FB86F60A2A0.jpeg
7E3F9FD2-A454-4C7D-AF4B-8647FC8AC1BF.jpeg
517FE5C3-EB23-4388-A724-2B78CF8DB7BC.jpeg

Here is my Covid-19 project. Built on an old 4x8 ft harbor freight trailer. New suspension, springs, wheels. Built the trailer with reclaimed redwood. Siding is fiberglass shower board painted and clear coated. Interior was an old television cabinet.
First trip was out to Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California. Towed great. Plan to use it for off-road over landing with my FJ60 or son’s FJ cruiser.
View attachment 2564346View attachment 2564347View attachment 2564348View attachment 2564349View attachment 2564350

That's a pretty sweet looking trailer. Do you have a build thread on it?

That's a pretty sweet looking trailer. Do you have a build thread on it?
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not do a build thread.
I got a lot of ideas from a guy on YouTube.
I didn’t want to complicate things so I just built a box with regular doors, similar to the Hiker trailer. Hiker Trailer - https://www.hikertrailers.com/
I wanted to put a queen sized bed so I went 5 feet wide. To do so, I needed the trailer to be over the wheels. Most trailers are 4 feet within the wheels and that would be tight for 2 people.
D17E24F6-CBE1-4F67-89A0-F00AF9AF259A.jpeg
8CE27340-E9BA-497C-8E4C-ACF607CDD3A5.jpeg
C089F1DB-850A-4B40-83A0-B322BA1CF698.jpeg

Getting ready for a trip

View attachment 1736614
This trailer has seen about 50k miles and I keep breaking the springs and now the trailing arms suspension. The trailing arms where welded to the axle and had bushing at the frame, the welds kept breaking. So we built new adjustable trailing arms with bushing at both end to absorb vibrations. Still using the air bag system.

I am also changing out the tail lights to something low profile

0491CDA6-8185-46E8-89B7-91FD1B9607EB.jpeg

B72F469C-A859-40E9-B9FB-D6CF7A4C3B1E.jpeg

D0E67907-B2E3-485C-9F06-AAFAB5C09BB7.jpeg

trailer has seen about 50k miles and I keep breaking the springs and now the trailing arms suspension. The trailing arms where welded to the axle and had bushing at the frame, the welds kept breaking. So we built new adjustable trailing arms with bushing at both end to absorb vibrations. Still using the air bag system.

How do those arms articulate? When one wheel moves up but the other doesn't, how do they twist? It looks like the new adjustable ones would just twist the screw in/out bit, but if not for that, it looks like the only thing allowing independent motion would be the bushings. If that's the case, no wonder the welds fail. You'd need some sort on uniball in one of the ends to allow for twisting movement.

A Johnny Joint would work well for that.

How do those arms articulate? When one wheel moves up but the other doesn't, how do they twist? It looks like the new adjustable ones would just twist the screw in/out bit, but if not for that, it looks like the only thing allowing independent motion would be the bushings. If that's the case, no wonder the welds fail. You'd need some sort on uniball in one of the ends to allow for twisting movement.

A Johnny Joint would work well for that.
Your right, there is only a limited amount of twist, it’s something I have to accept. I thought about going to independent system, but I love my air bags and couldn’t come up with a reasonable cost system. The trailer was designed where the box comes off, so I have a camping setup, flat bed or stake bed. This way I can use the trailer for other stuff, some stuff weighing a lot and the air bags get adjusted to the load.

Last edited:
@krispykritter n @coops2k , a single axle articulates at coupler to tow vehicle, not side to side on the axle as there is no opposing corners. suspension is there just to carry weight. dual axle trailers would benefit from articulation for stability.
edit: thinking about it re: dual axle, i'd think the benefit would be very minimal as there's not much spread between the axles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom