The song of the distributor… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting to know my new FJ and was having some timing issues. After getting a remote start switch and a timing light, I noticed that what I thought was belt squeal may be the death squeak of the dizzy. Has anyone else encountered this? Do you opt for a stock replacement or are their favored upgrades here?

Here's a video:

Last edited:
Sounds like it just needs cleaning and re-lube. You can disassemble the breaker plate and re-grease the little ball bearings in there.

@4Cruisers has posted info and can provide refurb parts.

If you opt for a replacement, Toyota still sells two replacement points distributors, a small cap and a med cap. Various vendors sell them, and they can be converted to Pertronix electronic if you want to go that route.

Pull the rotor. The top of the dist. shaft should have felt or a place where 30 wt. oil can be placed (a small amount). There may be a plastic cap over the top of the shaft that can be removed to reveal the felt.

Worth doing even if it's not the cause of the squeak.

If you opt for a replacement, Toyota still sells two replacement points distributors, a small cap and a med cap. Various vendors sell them, and they can be converted to Pertronix electronic if you want to go that route.
I want to jump into this thread too - I'm plugging new stuff onto my rebuilt 2F when I can, and would like to know what distributor to get.

It will be a stock '81 2F with all smog equipment in place.

Came with a NipponDenso 19100-61102 when I bought it.

What are the two replacements you mentioned?

It looks like you have the correct distributor for that engine. Nothing wrong with it.

Try this FAQ for lots of good info.

It looks like you have the correct distributor for that engine. Nothing wrong with it.

Try this FAQ for lots of good info.
It's almost as old as I am. :) I'm aiming to do a very, very deep restoration. If I can source a new one I'd like to do so.

Also Kurt @cruiseroutfit at Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks. I have a thread going with Matt now.

I bugged Kurt a lot when I started several years ago. I was giving him some time off, but I'll certainly start that back up now. :)

I want to jump into this thread too - I'm plugging new stuff onto my rebuilt 2F when I can, and would like to know what distributor to get.

It will be a stock '81 2F with all smog equipment in place.

Came with a NipponDenso 19100-61102 when I bought it.

What are the two replacements you mentioned?
If that 81 2F is the original to your North American FJ40, I believe it would have been a 19160-61102 “big cap” distributor with electronic ignition.

Thanks. I have a thread going with Matt now.

I bugged Kurt a lot when I started several years ago. I was giving him some time off, but I'll certainly start that back up now. :)
@cruiseroutfit

I have designed a 💯 % OEM parts all inclusive , all needed parts included , plug and play total ignition system kit , minus the 6 spark ⚡️ plugs because they change over the years & some folks prefer there own brand or variety of them …

I have a TECH. Video on my kit also that doubles as a multi-media installation instructions for the on-hands installer of my kit …

7D42D4B8-C913-4CBC-88E2-B7357B00400E-Copy_2048x.jpg

498A2B08-98B0-492C-85CD-EE15DEB2A06F_2048x.jpg

7F3C3DD6-286A-4E3D-931F-6A49B2B7927B_2048x.jpg

5EE3ABAF-755B-4253-AEAC-8B80C7290472_2048x.jpg

8D1E848B-5904-4A04-A1B1-7CB04B072A1E_2048x.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom