The Rocker Rust Removal Begins Post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CPACruiser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.717cruiser.etsy.com
Well since I purchased my 80 I've been putting this off...but tonight I wanted to give her some valentine's day weekend TLC.

I've been watching alot of Japhands Kustoms on YT...so I'm doing all this metal work with hammer forming, mdf sandwiching and rolling, mig welding. Wish me patience. 🤞🏻 😅

Post #1 will be the BEFORE (d/s rocker) 😢

IMG_20220211_205941.jpg
IMG_20220211_205951.jpg

Hammer formed door sill patch 🪚 ⚒️

IMG_20220211_210002.jpg

Here we go... 🥽

IMG_20220211_210002.jpg

Hand/Hammer formed rocker panel replacement section...

For this section of repair I am using 16 GA (.059) CRS. It's a bit heavy but it's a rocker panel....why not beef it up if I can? 🤷🏻 The fun part is getting the radius close since it gets tighter towards the front wheelwell... ⚒️💪🏻🐛

IMG_20220211_220018.jpg

IMG_20220211_220001.jpg

This is rad! sub’d :popcorn:

What are you using to hammer the radius on? Can you show us more of the process? I’m curious how you can keep the radius so even. It your rocker patch certainly makes any homemade bracket I’ve bent in a vice look pretty crude!

What are you using to hammer the radius on? Can you show us more of the process? I’m curious how you can keep the radius so even. It your rocker patch certainly makes any homemade bracket I’ve bent in a vice look pretty crude!

The rolling process I used was pretty rudimentary, I have some very firm 3" cardboard tubing from the inside of shrinkwrap from our wrapping station at the shop. I clamp that to the desk or in a vise and hand form the sheet over top of that with good ole brute force and finesse...

The hammer forming for the flanges I sandwich the sheet metal between two pieces of MDF cut to size. I am using 1/2 mdf. You can either secure it with a lot of clamps or you can ensure the sheet stays flat by drilling holes thru the mdf and metal sandwich then bolting it all together with recessed bolts. This process makes for more holes to weld up after so when able I opt for the clamp approach.

What this does is allows the exposed area to be hammer formed over the edge of the mdf. You can radius the bottom sheet of mdf for softer bends, or leave it sharp for a sharper 90 degree. This process allows the metal to stretch without warping the part you want to keep straight (the sandwiched portion)

I will add photos when I get back to the shop.

Cheers!

Fitzee's Fabrication on YouTube shows a remarkably effective and simple way to bend curves into long panels using a pair of steel pipes welded together with a gap for the sheet metal. Jump to 14:10 to see the pipe setup:

There might be a better video showing the setup in better detail, but this was the first one I could find.

I'm really impressed with the result you got using brute force!

Fitzee's Fabrication on YouTube shows a remarkably effective and simple way to bend curves into long panels using a pair of steel pipes welded together with a gap for the sheet metal. Jump to 14:10 to see the pipe setup:

There might be a better video showing the setup in better detail, but this was the first one I could find.

I'm really impressed with the result you got using brute force!

Fitzee is awesome love that guys channel

subscribed for bodywork inspiration :cool:

I've been plugging away...driver side rocker panel is almost to my liking

A few more finishing touches with the MIG and grinder then ready for body filler, primer and paint then on to the other areas.

I've been dealing with spots of the old metal blowing out so I've been cutting more out then adding new metal. Painstaking but learning as I go.

IMG_20220219_205512.jpg

Last edited:
I've been plugging away...driver side rocker panel is almost to my liking

A few more finishing touches with the MIG and grinder then ready for body filler, primer and paint them on to the other areas.

I've been dealing with spots of the old metal blowing out so I've been cutting more out then adding new metal. Painstaking but learning as I go.

View attachment 2931020
You are one talented mofo. Keep up the good work!

Ok so...not professional results...but for my first crack at metal forming and body work of any kind with limited welding experience and a 10+ year old harbor freight MIG machine....I'll take it

Pic 1: old metal kept blowing out ... Had to remove material and keep adding new patches 🤷🏻
IMG_20220217_201146_01.jpg

Bondo to hide some imperfections and filler primer on top, then NAPA 4004 stone guard to add protection and factory look, also hides alot of imperfections... There's a trend here lol 😎🙈

IMG_20220221_124156.jpg

Finally Black 202 sprayed waiting for that to flash and dry then clear coat time. 🤙🏻
IMG_20220221_125508.jpg

IMG_20220221_122453.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so...not professional results...but for my first crack at metal forming and body work of any kind with limited welding experience and a 10+ year old harbor freight MIG machine....I'll take it

Pic 1: old metal kept blowing out ... Had to remove material and keep adding new patches 🤷🏻
View attachment 2932491

Bondo to hide some imperfections and filler primer on top, then NAPA 4004 stone guard to add protection and factory look, also hides alot of imperfections... There's a trend here lol 😎🙈

View attachment 2932502

Finally Black 202 sprayed waiting for that to flash and dry then clear coat time. 🤙🏻
View attachment 2932510

View attachment 2932493
This is some brave learn as you go stuff. So awesome! Thanks for posting this. I’m totally inspired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom