Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s commonly called a poverty pack 80. Those are sweet for sure. Mine is a joy to drive. Still feels light because it does not have all the usual off-road accoutrements to weight it down and make it more 💩ish
In my opinion, the best 80 series is the "DX" model we have here in Australia. It's one step up from the "poverty pack", but lacking some of the "improvements" on the higher models that make it more of a suburban luxury vehicle than a trail rig. It's still got barn doors, part time 4wd, manual locking hubs, 1HZ diesel, and the "no frills" feel (vinyl floor mats, cloth seats, manual windows), but it's got a couple of extras that make it better. The best improvement is it actually has a tacho. The pov pack doesn't, and you can't just swap in the cluster either, as the injector pump is actually different, you need a pump that has the pickup for the tacho. There's also some misc things like intermittent wipers, and a few other interior things I'm not as clear on (did the pov pack have cloth or vinyl seats?). There are a few gizmos that I've integrated from higher models over the years (IE, the relay to turn off my headlights if I forget to), but I like the simplicity of the base models.

I'll always prefer a diesel over petrol for this kind of vehicle. There's just so little that can go wrong with this generation of diesel. My HZJ80 is all mechanical. If I remove or bypass the fuel cutoff solenoid in the back of the injector pump, I can take the battery out, clutch start the rig, and drive off down the road. There's no electronics required at all. I know some people like the turbo diesels, but I prefer to keep things simple. I didn't buy an 80 to win street races, I don't care that it takes a bit of effort to get up really steep hills on the highway. The fact is I can drop it into L4, and I've got the low-end torque to climb just about anything. That's what I appreciate, and the reliability that comes from a big, solid, overengineered hunk of iron.

Yeah this model is odd. Cloth seats. Carpet. Int wipers and electric windows and locks. This thing is more FJ62 than FJ80 or as my buddy Brad said “barely an 80”

What’s another odd thing. This same exact “model” that went to South America had 4 headlights while this Middle East one has the singles.

So many variants.

Yeah this model is odd. Cloth seats. Carpet. Int wipers and electric windows and locks. This thing is more FJ62 than FJ80 or as my buddy Brad said “barely an 80”

What’s another odd thing. This same exact “model” that went to South America had 4 headlights while this Middle East one has the singles.

So many variants.
Like the SFA 105 series.

Nolen, any chance you could remember the alignment specs 49 Tire just finished up? I've got my toe at 0.4°, maximum of the official spec, and I still feel like the rig wanders on the highway...

Nolen, any chance you could remember the alignment specs 49 Tire just finished up? I've got my toe at 0.4°, maximum of the official spec, and I still feel like the rig wanders on the highway...
I didn’t ask but no wandering

They don’t need a center lock because they are like a normal transfer case does not need to be “unlocked” to work with full time 4WD

In other words, if it’s not an AWD Tcase it’s always locked.
It amazing how far envious folks will go to make it sound like they are 3x locked. Convince themselves of almost anything. :cool:

Super stoked to get the only interior blemish fixed this week. The seat tear was nasty and what I saw every time I got in the truck. My local shop fixed me right up
ED7D3B10-E475-46CB-8FD2-AFAE5E00D07B.jpeg

On the way home I got a call from the wrap place and my stripes were ready. I ran it up there and a couple hours later I picked it up. They turned out awesome

619810A9-28A0-450B-910D-677BD6A50B65.jpeg
B11FB42C-DC45-42CA-B733-1407940532D6.jpeg

Loading up the Oddball80 trailer with all the stuff I’ll be delivering to the roundup (2 springs, a fuel tank, 55 seat and 4 trans/transfers) then took it for a drive to make sure the ole 3FE can handle it. No sweat!
10A0810D-83DF-45C5-959D-C3C90E919612.jpeg

And because I love before/after photos....

BD61AB86-075D-450C-A155-003108B863AC.jpeg

Dude... that dent on the rear door.........

Oh, and looking good BTW :lol:

Ive found that when they have dents that it does not hurt as bad when you give it new ones (passenger rear by second step)

Super stoked to get the only interior blemish fixed this week. The seat tear was nasty and what I saw every time I got in the truck. My local shop fixed me right up
View attachment 2615388
On the way home I got a call from the wrap place and my stripes were ready. I ran it up there and a couple hours later I picked it up. They turned out awesome

View attachment 2615389View attachment 2615390

Loading up the Oddball80 trailer with all the stuff I’ll be delivering to the roundup (2 springs, a fuel tank, 55 seat and 4 trans/transfers) then took it for a drive to make sure the ole 3FE can handle it. No sweat!
View attachment 2615391

And because I love before/after photos....

View attachment 2615392
Wow! What a fantastic project. Looks great! Enjoy! What is next?

The stripes look excellent, the new design ties in well, The before and after pictures are really cool, the new tire and wheel combo really changed the Reg in a good way !!!

So far so good with the loaded trailer. Massive headwinds but I’m having no problems keeping a steady 80 mph. It absolutely destroys gasoline at that speed but it’s a race to Texas to beat the severe weather that’s developing

287E722D-8CA6-4E05-A397-B5CDD68E4F54.jpeg

ECD208F9-E1A9-4C63-AE70-E97270E04241.jpeg

756BCD00-4E53-4E41-9688-6E4C5E33E46E.jpeg

Be safe out there, and have fun at the Round Up !!

Dude, Georg and I just finished off some Rudy’s. See you tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom