Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The point was it can be done right, and to be clear most movies are made elsewhere these days ;)

My painter does stuff for me on the side. I did the scan. I provided the paint. Truck was not there for him to look at while painting.

It’s close enough.

Really enjoy following along on your build. Thanks for posting

The chrome lug nuts I bought were too shallow and the caps popped off. I followed the link someone posted and got these. All good on the lug nuts now too.

49Tire did me an alignment today. Forgot to get the numbers but it seems like it’s really dialed in now.

Big trip planned in 10 days. I think it’s ready.

1151608F-816B-48DC-904A-74AD3D92A540.jpeg

28F371FF-09AA-43CB-A793-A91466D9816D.jpeg

I must have missed something. Is the locker working now? Was it not actuating due to the trailer color? 🙂
Hahahaha.

I’ve got an FJ55 blocking the lift these days and unlike most 80 guys I can be DOUBLE locked and somehow make it though the week

Learn something new every day, did not know that a manual shift part time transfer case had a center lock.

Learn something new every day, did not know that a manual shift part time transfer case had a center lock.
They don’t need a center lock because they are like a normal transfer case does not need to be “unlocked” to work with full time 4WD

In other words, if it’s not an AWD Tcase it’s always locked.

Amazing build, this thread entertained me for the last hour. Thanks for the abundance of pictures you provided too! I'd never seen pictures of the dual fuel system taken apart before. In a lot of ways my 80 in Aus has more in common with this GCC spec than typical US spec models (barn doors, dual fuel, part time TC, etc), but it was still interesting to see the differences between the two.

Out of curiosity, am I right in saying your 80 has central locking, with the barn door centrally locked too? That's not a very common setup I believe. I'm retro-fitting central locking to mine, and tracking down the power actuator for the barn door took some doing. I don't think it was ever offered here. It seems the higher spec models that came with central locking generally also used the lift-up tailgate. I prefer the barn doors myself. They're more practical, even if you do need to cover them half up with a rear tyre carrier to stop them looking funny.

1 your part time case is not locked in 4 high.
2 AWD is just that, it dose not have low range and not considered 4WD
3 A US spec 80 is not AWD it's a full time 4WD ( has low range ) and has a center locker to provide 50/50 distribution of power to each axle when needed.
4 The oddball 80 is a super cool reg and you have done a great job of bring her back to all her glory. It's just sad that she did not end up with someone that actually likes 80s!!!!
5 IMO the color match on the trailer is not even close.
6 I'm done with this thread
CHEERS ;)

Don’t be done.

I do like 80s but I don’t like the way the US trucks get 50% of the power sucked out via an auto transmission. I also don’t like fender flares, sunroofs and leather seats. So, it’s US spec 80s I don’t “prefer”....never said I didn’t like them.

I was being simplistic when I used the term AWD for full time 4wd.

My transfer case does not have any center locking mechanism. Once it’s in 4H or 4Low it sends power 50/50. It’s not designed at all to be AWD. Therefore by default it’s always “locked”. No need for a switch. Same as a FJ60/40/55/Mini truck.

I would love to have a 2wd, 4wd hi, 4wd low option with a 5 spd behind the 4.5 l engine with barn doors! My favorite 80 (of the 6) I have purchased in the last 5 months is my 94, with cloth interior, more basic items, stock radio etc. It does have the roof rack and rear spoiler and no axle lockers. (I wish it did not have the roof rack or spoiler but I am not taking them off) It was a one owner under 200k rig, with a stack of maint records dating back to 94. I will up-fit it a little but love that it is completely stock at the moment so I have a baseline to go off of. I have been a mini-truck/4runner pre 85 guy and a 40 guy for the past 30+ years, BUT I am starting to dig the 80 for a DD.

That’s commonly called a poverty pack 80. Those are sweet for sure. Mine is a joy to drive. Still feels light because it does not have all the usual off-road accoutrements to weight it down and make it more 💩ish

That’s commonly called a poverty pack 80. Those are sweet for sure. Mine is a joy to drive. Still feels light because it does not have all the usual off-road accoutrements to weight it down and make it more 💩ish

"Accoutrements": bombing us with these French words.

Un-American hippie. :lol:

Don’t be done.

I do like 80s but I don’t like the way the US trucks get 50% of the power sucked out via an auto transmission. I also don’t like fender flares, sunroofs and leather seats. So, it’s US spec 80s I don’t “prefer”....never said I didn’t like them.

I was being simplistic when I used the term AWD for full time 4wd.

My transfer case does not have any center locking mechanism. Once it’s in 4H or 4Low it sends power 50/50. It’s not designed at all to be AWD. Therefore by default it’s always “locked”. No need for a switch. Same as a FJ60/40/55/Mini truck.
OK I'm back, I am actually very fond of the set up you have, the 5 speed manual with a part time tcase and I'm very familiar with how they work. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom