Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am waiting to see what happens on lug nuts. Factory ones appear to be conical seat as well. 95 up went to the shank style. Please keep us posted.

I prefer acorn style, They are fatter on the bottom. and round rather than tapper to the the cone seat area. This way they do not dig into the wheels like the stock ones do. I see that a lot.

something like these:

The conical have a much deeper taper than the OEM acorns. I’ll report back tomorrow after I take it for a spin

013ACB29-48EE-468E-A842-CFA2C06BD86A.jpeg

The conical have a much deeper taper than the OEM acorns. I’ll report back tomorrow after I take it for a spin
What would concern me is the threads on the studs. Are the threads deep enough on the studs. Will the threads bottom out before you get proper torque to hold the wheel tight on the hub? Looks like the conical nuts will seat deeper in the wheel. It's little glitches like this that can bite ya in the butt when you vary from OEM hardware.

What would concern me is the threads on the studs. Are the threads deep enough on the studs. Will the threads bottom out before you get proper torque to hold the wheel tight on the hub? Looks like the conical nuts will seat deeper in the wheel. It's little glitches like this that can bite ya in the butt when you vary from OEM hardware.

I ventured from OEM with the wheels so after that it does not matter.

No shots of the recovery team??

Hey Nolen you can always trouble shoot the locker on jack stands or the lift. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

I did that yesterday. Added 12v direct to the pins in the harness and nothing

View attachment 2595513
True Acorn style has a buldge just passed the tapper. I prefer this style. IF you get it with a 19m head you can normally get an impact socket on it without damaging the center caps.

This example shows a good pic of them.
Amazon product ASIN B07PB2QL4V

your doors are ajar?

I did not slam my rear door good. All those new OEM gaskets yo

All better.

Edit .... this thing gets about 10 mpg around town the way I drive.....

9B88B673-D0EB-4D42-81EA-CF9C80F2FB9B.jpeg

I did not slam my rear door good. All those new OEM gaskets yo

All better.

Edit .... this thing gets about 10 mpg around town the way I drive.....

View attachment 2595914
Ya, but I bet the smiles per Gallon are off the chart.

Really sweet Reg, and great job bringing her back to all Her glory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally got my trailer back from paint. It’s a better match than the powder but still not perfect even with the scan. Angles are different so light hits it different so there is always that.
B7BC943A-E098-40CE-9418-2DB2D1EB73C9.jpeg

Ran it home and reinstalled the Hella plug that was there to the OEM Toyota tail lights.
F4084889-CDD8-4D33-80AB-96F3338626E0.jpeg

Also I swapped over the safety chains with some M416 chains and hooks which I love.
7A486204-BC61-43C2-9CF4-B80A04CB0645.jpeg

I stopped off at the local vinyl place and am getting a work up for the stripes
DEFD408C-1D22-4E44-8DDE-E4FAAC23340D.jpeg

Love your build and your attention to detail.
That being said, it looks like they missed it on the paint match.
I worked almost 40 years in movie set construction, the painters there could match anything.
They would always do a sample of the color match before painting to make sure it was right, art directors and production designers won’t except close.
Again I really like what you have done with this project Sweet Sweet Sweet
Looking forward to seeing the vinyl work.

Love your build and your attention to detail.
That being said, it looks like they missed it on the paint match.
I worked almost 40 years in movie set construction, the painters there could match anything.
They would always do a sample of the color match before painting to make sure it was right, art directors and production designers won’t except close.
Again I really like what you have done with this project Sweet Sweet Sweet
Looking forward to seeing the vinyl work.
Note to self: When painting old trailer, ship to hollywood for proper color matching.

That vinyl job will make it look great! Can't wait to see it done and together with your 80.

Not really sure what this statement means.

Funny. Not like me I know but this is why I don’t paint land cruisers. It gets out of my control and then I’m relying on others and that’s a pain in my ass.

Note to self: When painting old trailer, ship to hollywood for proper color matching.
The point was it can be done right, and to be clear most movies are made elsewhere these days ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom