The Newest of the New (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, new to Land Cruisers, new to diesels, new to turbos, new to JDM trucks. But I'm keen to learn and contribute any way that I can.

Anyway, I've got a 1990 LJ78 that's on its way over - should be in Vancouver end of this week. The truck's got about 69,000km on it. I'm having it shipped to Calgary, where I plan to pick it up and drive it 2 hrs to my home. I've been reading about the dangers of heat to the 2L-TE cylinder head, and wonder if it's potentially harmful to the engine to drive it 2hrs on the highway before chekcing or flushing the cooling system and/or installing a pyro. As a lifelong driver of VW vans, I'm used to driving slow - 90 km is good. But my 2.1 VW can cruise all day at 3700 rpm - a number that I gather is dangerously high for the diesel. Any advice for a virgin's first highway voyage?

Another silly question: do diesels use the same engine coolant as gassers? I'm not mechanically ignorant, but definitely in uncharted waters when it comes to the Toyota diesel engine.

Finally, a public thanks to Wayne, who has already answered a ton of questions for me. When my ship comes in, I'll come looking for that pristine BJ74!

Thanks!

Robin

Hi Robin. If it were my new wheels I would probably have a good look at the coolant system and make a decision.
Watch it warm up and check for leaks ,corrosion ect ect

The odds of the head gasket blowing during the 2 hour trip are minimal.

However previous owners often forget to tell you things they may suspect are wrong so if you are in the slightest doubt get it towed.

Toyota make a good coolant that is suitable for all their engines and as far as I know diesels and gassers take the same coolant.

The drive home with your new wheels are always memorable for some reason ,good or bad:D

light_duty said:
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, new to Land Cruisers, new to diesels, new to turbos, new to JDM trucks. But I'm keen to learn and contribute any way that I can.

Anyway, I've got a 1990 LJ78 that's on its way over - should be in Vancouver end of this week. The truck's got about 69,000km on it. I'm having it shipped to Calgary, where I plan to pick it up and drive it 2 hrs to my home. I've been reading about the dangers of heat to the 2L-TE cylinder head, and wonder if it's potentially harmful to the engine to drive it 2hrs on the highway before chekcing or flushing the cooling system and/or installing a pyro. As a lifelong driver of VW vans, I'm used to driving slow - 90 km is good. But my 2.1 VW can cruise all day at 3700 rpm - a number that I gather is dangerously high for the diesel. Any advice for a virgin's first highway voyage?

Another silly question: do diesels use the same engine coolant as gassers? I'm not mechanically ignorant, but definitely in uncharted waters when it comes to the Toyota diesel engine.

Finally, a public thanks to Wayne, who has already answered a ton of questions for me. When my ship comes in, I'll come looking for that pristine BJ74!

Thanks!

Robin
Robin,
congrates on your new toy.
if you have any concerns just drive it here and i will do a quick once over but you should be fien for a 2 hour run home, the road is all downhill from here, right?

Thanks everyone for your advice, and thanks Wayne for your kind offer, which I would be foolish to turn down...

I'm confident things will be fine with the truck, but until I learn what kind of warning signs to look out for, I'll be babying this thing like crazy. I don't relish the thought of trying to find a new cylinder head right off the bat, especially after finally convincing my wife that this machine is going to be *much more reliable* than our Westfalia.

I'm sure wayne will talk you into it anyway, but Mechnical gauges arn't an option there manditory.

What is involved in installing a pyro? Removal of the exhaust maifold, I imagine...and the turbo? A bit of drilling and tapping? Are we talking about a couple of hours, a morning...a day?

I just heard about another guy in Lethbridge who imported an LJ78 and then cracked the head after 2000km when his rad started to leak. No wonder I haven't seen it around town!

I'm starting to wonder what I've got myself into with this 2L-TE!

yep, that bloke contacted me for a replacement head. it seems he bought the truck from a gent in BC who had it for a year... makes me wonder if the seller knew of the problem...
look after the engine and you will be fine. change the fluids, do a coolant pressure check, install the gauges (post turbo is fine) and drive it like it should be driven and you will be fine (as long as the previous owner didn't misuse it).

cheers and good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom