The latest entry in poptops (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Subbed for a couple of reasons;

1. because Phil found this
2. because you said it would fit my 80
3. because you mentioned CAMPTEQ
4. And most importantly, because you're providing a modicum of hope that I could somehow/maybe/possibly either access through my sunroof (i don't care about standing on my console and i'm as agile and limber as a 20 year old yoga instructor) or by cutting the roof Campteq style. (Phil and I differ here)

Looking forward to this, and it's in my price range.

4. And most importantly, because you're providing a modicum of hope that I could somehow/maybe/possibly either access through my sunroof (i don't care about standing on my console and i'm as agile and limber as a 20 year old yoga instructor) or by cutting the roof Campteq style. (Phil and I differ here)

I will cut my roof when you find me barn doors:popcorn:

I will have to disagree with you there my experience see a need for more cross ventilation. My sides are full double panels 1 solid, 1 screened and I find the need sometimes to be completely open to be comfortable.

Does your rear panels hinge on the top or bottom?

Our rear panel hinges on top as it works as a rain cover. The sides hinge from the bottom. If you come to expo west ask for Graeme and I will pour you a cocktail and explain all of my reasoning. I disagree with cross ventilation because a fan easily solves that problem, and does a better job of it. YMMV.

Its totally possible. If someone wants to do these installs on a commercial basis, we would happily support and help with that process. Seriously, reach out to me if you're keen. It seems as though there is a market.

I dont check PM's here, but email is graeme@gfcengineering.com

Our rear panel hinges on top as it works as a rain cover. The sides hinge from the bottom. If you come to expo west ask for Graeme and I will pour you a cocktail and explain all of my reasoning. I disagree with cross ventilation because a fan easily solves that problem, and does a better job of it. YMMV.

We will agree to disagree:). I will say my opinion comes from several years and several 100 nights in more than one style of RTT living and traveling in the SouthWest and Mexico. Ultimately what will matter is your customers opinion as its the final answer. I was just trying to share my real time experience and help you avoid complaints. ;)

We will agree to disagree:). I will say my opinion comes from several years and several 100 nights in more than one style of RTT living and traveling in the SouthWest and Mexico. Ultimately what will matter is your customers opinion as its the final answer. I was just trying to share my real time experience and help you avoid complaints. ;)

I appreciate your opinion for sure. Did the campteq units have a raw aluminum roof? Was there any insulation on that panel? I know a lot about the thermal conductivity of aluminum (I cofounded AeroContinental) and it is way different than our insulated roof panel. Sleeping under raw aluminum in cold or hot weather is absolutely miserable.

Additionally, we have been testing our unit pretty thoroughly in hot weather and have spent a lot of time in other tents as well. We get a ton of cross flow with the existing window design, and a even a fan isn't necessary. It would be a nice addition however for really hot still nights.

I appreciate your opinion for sure. Didn't realize you were the one behind campteq until today either. It looks like those had a raw aluminum roof? Was there any insulation on that panel?

Additionally, we have been testing our unit pretty thoroughly in hot weather and have spent a lot of time in other tents as well. We get a ton of cross flow with the existing window design, and a even a fan isn't necessary. It would be a nice addition however for really hot still nights.

Im not the designer of CampTeq its all Eric but I worked closely with him and can take credit for some of the refinements in the final stages such as the large screened windows. :grinpimp: As for your little windows I figure you are smart guys and you will end up making the right decision when it comes to production time.;) Sorry for my strong input and I will not address it anymore.

Its totally possible. If someone wants to do these installs on a commercial basis, we would happily support and help with that process. Seriously, reach out to me if you're keen. It seems as though there is a market.

I dont check PM's here, but email is graeme@gfcengineering.com

Email sent.

Love the craft hinges and will be interested to see where this project leads. There is certainly room for innovation in this category.

Interesting Idea. I have thought of so many ways of making built in camper for my 80. There is definately room for products and innovation in this portion of the market. If only I could still get a Campteq. This looks promising for and 80 or any other platform if you could get the poptop half for a decent price. Then just fab a fit kit of sorts to stick it on the roof and seal it. Are the insulated roof panels going to hold up over time in the sun without having to maintain them? What is the benefit of the huge hinges vs something more conventional? I'm curious to see where this goes.

Reactions: RFB
Love the craft hinges and will be interested to see where this project leads. There is certainly room for innovation in this category.

Thanks man!

Interesting Idea. I have thought of so many ways of making built in camper for my 80. There is definately room for products and innovation in this portion of the market. If only I could still get a Campteq. This looks promising for and 80 or any other platform if you could get the poptop half for a decent price. Then just fab a fit kit of sorts to stick it on the roof and seal it. Are the insulated roof panels going to hold up over time in the sun without having to maintain them? What is the benefit of the huge hinges vs something more conventional? I'm curious to see where this goes.

The panels will definitely hold up, its a panel type that is commonly used in marine applications (gnarly UV and water exposure) with a coating that is a lot more durable than a gel coat like you'd see on most fiberglass hard shelled RTT's. It's also serviceable so if you do smack it into a tree or something you can replace the panel without adhesives or any real mess.

The hinges are structural joints for our extrusion. Additionally they are profoundly strong, serviceable, and serve a few more functions that we have yet to reveal. Plus who doesn't like cool machined parts?

I think there might be a market for the roof conversion, but after doing a little research into campteq's system I think their margins were probably tight. Unless you were doing real volume (which for the landcruiser market is not super likely) I would think something in the $8-10k installed price would be a reasonable. Probably on the lower end of that number to fit the 80 (gutters), and on the higher end for the 100-200 series.

Getting the headliner dialed in around the hole (probably not a complete roof delete), reinforcing the hole cut out of the roof, taking all measures for corrosion resistance and just generally designing a good system wouldn't be a small task. Plus it would need to look good and be much higher quality than something like a sportsmobile pop top.

Missed that the first time.

Do you mean the canopy to the tent frame? Its going to be a compressible seal in-between the two that is fastened through the tube into the extrusion throughout the perimeter.

Finalizing the renders now, and will be beginning the build of the prototype lower this week. The current test rig (simple a proof of concept) is just fastened with those exterior plates and does a good job of moisture, but is likely not dust proof.

Im all-in are long as there is NO snow involved. Im due for another Polebridge Mercantile trip.

Deal, no snow. If gofastcampers gets things together over the winter we'll road trip up in the spring to pick up mine!

Welded up a couple of Tacoma long bed lower frames yesterday. Unlike the square tube on the early test mule, these are 1.5" round mitered DOM tubing and made to the final design specs. We'll be skinning these in bead-rolled .090" aluminum this coming week.

Looks like we will have options for fixed and operable aluminum sides made of .080-.090 5052 Aluminum. Operable is where the two side panels are hinged to lift off the structure and create a cabana style space in the topper, or to access things from the side. We will also still be making fabric sides for select vehicles where we see a demand. Those end up being quite a bit lighter, and are really nice for desert travel.

Fixed panels and fabric will be standard in the $5000 pricepoint (shipping included during the pre-order), and the operable sides will be an add on.

Rear panel will be a glass hatch like a modern leer or ARE, and the front "bulkhead" panel will have an optional view window (likely non operable) to be able to see whats going on in the bed from the cab.

37652379624_ed2d694dd9_z.jpg

37652373954_d8c23c7852_z.jpg

37652376334_a1f8fbd190_z.jpg

It's going to be a pretty burly structure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom