The Heinous Truck in the Magnificent Desert - Big Bend 2017 (1 Viewer)

Is fireman's BBT an insult to the cruiser community?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell Yes

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As we are making our way down the trail, I round a corner and am immediately struck by something familiar (but decidedly misplaced from its natural habitat) lying in the road before me.... I radio ahead to tell Lou that he needs to stop immediately and back-up........ but after I take a picture...

View attachment 1385539

Effing precious!! I wouldn't be laughing so hard ... if not for something similar all things custom shock mount related on a Death Valley shake down cruz.[/QUOTE]

So, we press on to the first night's camp at Tres Papolotes (3 windmills). Being firmly established in the #EAF disciplines, all tents and awnings are deployed in approximately 5 minutes and the fire has been lit:

tents.jpg

tres pap_1.jpg

We start to gather around the fire and share stories from the day, while Andy is heating up some killer Louisiana gumbo.

gumbo.jpg

Of course, when #EAF camping, ordinary gas station ice for the liquor drinks just won't do. We roll with oversized, slow melt, artic-harvested, small-batch, cryogenically- preserved cubes.....

ICE.jpg

It was at this point that I first got introduced to the camp chair that Bomar picked up for me at REI in DFW on his way down. It's aptly named the "kingdom chair" - I didn't study the label (and haven't yet), but I'm pretty sure the frame is some sort of space-aged titanium blend; the arm rests are adorned with cypress harvested from Solomon's tomb and the fabric is a blend of silk and the hair of sacrificed virgins. Of course, I just quietly enjoyed it the whole trip and didn't say much about it or look down upon the modest seating accommodations of others, including Lou's midget chair (pictured bottom right above): :)

tres pap fire.jpg

As the fire roared on into the night, the whiskey intensified both the stories and the laughter.... Fireman had us rolling with some stories from the station involving a push board (which I would love to repeat, but probably shouldn't).... We looked at some pictures from the national park earlier that day (which I'll let the other guys drop in now) and then turned in for the night...

Last edited:
you'd fit right in on our NorCal forays ... as long as you bring that ice :D

ughh....

On Wednesday I decided to leave early and get to Dallas. I struck out early with plans to take the slow route to the National Park and spend the evening with Blaylock and Bomar.

IMG_2588.JPG

I stopped and checked out the bridge south of Brownwood I've whizzed by 20 times on the way to Katemcy

IMG_2593.JPG

Took a new route south through Ozona and got to the park at 3 pm. After stopping in to see my friend Matt the ranger I headed up River Road and Glenn Springs road to our predetermined campsite at Pine Canyon.

IMG_2607.JPG

We rolled in at the perfect time to watch the sun set over Elephant Tusk and set up camp

IMG_2608.JPG

Intel told me the rentacops that check campsites were down one vehicle so we may or may not have squeezed 3 rigs in a 2 rig campsite

IMG_2612.JPG

Bomar and Ron had run Old Ore Rd, East River Rd and Black Gap. Ron should have some incredible photos one day when he gets off his ass and posts them.

IMG_2614.JPG

The next am we struck out for Santa Elena Canyon at 8 am with the goal to be out of the park mid-day

Fog was over the Chisos but it gave them another look I've never seen

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

Ross Maxwell Loop is beautiful. We stopped at the Overlook and Loop Canyon

IMG_2639.JPG

Sam Nail Ranch is an awesome short hike to see how people lived out here
IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

Mule (Bomar) Ears is an awesome landmark in the SW part of the park

IMG_2912.JPG

The Canyon is a must see. The Rio Grande cuts through a mountain with 1000' cliffs on each side.

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

Old Maverick Road skirts the west edge of the park and marked the end of our quick trip to the National Park. I'm already ready to return.

This is a photo of our token hippie in the door of a Jacel where a guy lived, farmed and raised 12 kids on the bank of Terlingua Creek

IMG_2916.JPG

It's hard to explain how amazing the drive is up from Terlingua to the State Park.

It takes 4 hours but it's all good.

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

We rolled into the Ranch HQ at 4:00 and got our first look at the #bbt and Fireman

IMG_2920.JPG

here are a few pix of mine from the trip......I can't write as silly and as creative as @pmccraney or as well and descriptive as @wngrog, so I won't attempt to.....

the tent and rack was definitely worth 1000 laughs.....so was the fireside chatting and of course the radio banter whether it was hating on a certain BBT or @Bomar and his decisively definitive statements......

this trip was worth leaving late and hauling ass there. I love driving and with my nerve in my legs not acting up, it was quite pleasant all the way there, sans having to make 700+ miles of the journey in the dark....holyF Texas is a yuuuge state.....

checking out the views from the ole uranium mine......
DSC00558.JPG

the desert is very much alive.....too bad I didn't stop to take as many pics as I would have liked.......
IMG_5252.JPG

king of the world spot.......bomar style.....
fullsizeoutput_c.jpeg
DSC00581.JPG

sunrise at the Guale 2 campsite.....crooked of course....wouldnt be me if it wasn't......
DSC00635.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom