Builds The Guzzler - 2009 LX570 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Backpacking in the Mt baker wilderness this weekend. Still early season. First ones in. Glissading fun was had. Lots of 4L but not hard trails, just steep.

D3ED2954-E1E9-44EE-A255-044436E5FEDE.jpeg

8F4A1284-9E5C-416C-A816-327C2627000E.jpeg

15EDF34B-8197-4D9B-9855-BA03C066704E.jpeg

Have been eyeing these synthetic line pulley / block replacement for a while, finally got one. Never used the wire version (carried it to aid someone with a winch to help me). Now I can use the syn line with a donor winch or with the bog out.

0A2ABC2E-44DC-4580-B62A-80EC103E5F0E.jpeg

So fr-31 in mt baker wilderness starts with 6 miles of paved 1 1/2 lane. Then a creek joins the road and there are plenty of creek side type spots. Four or so miles of previously paved road. Fr 3160 Splits off and goes steeply uphill for about five miles all gravel well maintained but some water damage. Then the trailhead to enter bear paw mtn drainage and church lake. About 1.5 miles to church lake, with 700 ft elevation gain, most of it instaircase steep drainage. Limited tent sites, lots of trees for hammock camping. Bear paw mtn is walkable, but this time of year the remaining snow made it too much for my young companions. Beautiful area. Five parties came in Saturday.. . We were alone Friday.

A9A5A050-D762-4C1D-A90F-0FD72496A053.jpeg

5A31935D-EF80-4755-A1EF-FEDB5D6276B6.jpeg

0AB13262-F14B-42CD-A655-DE36C746F2AE.jpeg

Oh new equipment run down.
no noise from rhino rack batwing awning.
4 rototrax no noise, and further reduced the snorkel noise.
also put a trasharoo on to hold the potty And be available for misc items, Worked good.

Continuing to chip away at the reef. Put on three more tie downs., have one in every corner now.

I think I'll put a couple more on each end and call it a day.

01688A72-7481-428B-8277-98B72D9DA072.jpeg

D48D554B-7DC2-4706-A63E-F81995412F08.jpeg

So last trip the air refill went poorly. I have a milton inflator, and it requires me to hold a lever. This requires much perseverance when under attack by an endless squadron of mosquitoes.
I was already eyeing a home built 4 tire inflation system, like the one @radman Put together. I couldn’t get my cart to $75 though, it was $83. I did get a digital gauge, a brass ball valve, and push to connect fittings. Should be a fun little assembly.
looking forward to relaxing four tire fills.

So last trip the air refill went poorly. I have a milton inflator, and it requires me to hold a lever. This requires much perseverance when under attack by an endless squadron of mosquitoes.
I was already eyeing a home built 4 tire inflation system, like the one @radman Put together. I couldn’t get my cart to $75 though, it was $83. I did get a digital gauge, a brass ball valve, and push to connect fittings. Should be a fun little assembly.
looking forward to relaxing four tire fills.

I really like the 4-tire fill systems as well!

While we are on the mosquito subject, have you considered a repellent of some sort? I haven't tested any myself but it's been a thought of mine. They make ultrasonic ones and refillable ones, and some work faster than others, according to claims anyways.

Amazon product ASIN B0031ESIVK

Last edited:
I really like the 4-tire fill systems as well!

While we are on the mosquito subject, have you considered a repellent of some sort? I haven't tested any myself but it's been a thought of mine. They make ultrasonic ones and refillable ones, and some work faster than others, according to claims anyways.

Amazon product ASIN B0031ESIVK
Good idea! I armored up with some sort of biodegradable spray and they bugs weren't feeling it that day. I haven't used the butane/pad versions. I did some research on it 3 or 4 years ago, but never purchased. I'm not a huge fan of refillable items . . . and reviews are always mixed. Was just looking for an excuse to get the 4 tire; I want to see if the (perceived) fiddliness and (probable) size is offset by the convenience.

Did you get push-to connect valves for the tire stem valves? Just make sure they are default closed.
I ended up trimming the hoses down to make it more compact when rolled up.

Did you get push-to connect valves for the tire stem valves? Just make sure they are default closed.
I ended up trimming the hoses down to make it more compact when rolled up.
No, couldn't find any. Getting little ptc to 1/4" adapters. One thing I don't like in my current air setup is the bulk, though it all fits pretty easily into a shoe bag.

Worked on the 4 tire fillup assembly tonight. It's a nice tidy package, same size as my 20 foot 3/8" flexzilla hose and milton inflator. Is it fiddly? I didn't find it any more fiddly to setup than pulling my existing hose and inflator out, unkinking the hose, and attaching. It does take incrementally longer to plug in all four tires at once -- but no standing outside holding the inflator lever . . .

Assembly warning - you will need 15 meters of tubing (45 feet). 10 meters was 4 meters short! (My air location is rear left side at bumper). I thought 10 would be plenty!

BOM ($100) --
1/4" M/M high flow quick connect fitting in the manufacture of choice - I use flexzilla. I had a male on hand, so had to buy a 1/4" F/F to adapt
1/4" F/F (optional)
3" 1/4” M/M tube - to space the valve and the quick disconnect for ease of use (recommended, but strictly optional)
1/4" tee - F/F/F
1/4" digital gauge (m)
--
1/4" to 3/8" (M/F) OD PTC fitting - need five
3/8" OD PTC tubing used throughout - need 15 meters (I bought 2x packs 10m with fittings)
3/8" OD Ptc Tee (F/F/F) - need one
3/8" od ptc Y (F/F/F) - need two
1/4" F “closed" schrader adapters - need four
Permatex goop or yellow pipe tape

Assemble your control and gauge and Schrader adapters
Walk to car
Cut hoses to length and assemble your distribution system
Test
Profit

--
Why I chose PTC fittings? because they can be easily replaced. Because they are inexpensive (came packaged for free with the tubing). Because they are easy to dissemble (can change hose lengths easy, for example).

Time - 30 minutes, and that was with my 11 year old doing all the assembly

Thanks for the inspiration @radman

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_4103.JPG

IMG_6122.JPG

Last edited:
you so fancy!

Looks great! How flexible is that tubing? I would have thought it would be a little too stiff based on my limited prior use, but it looks plenty flexible in the pictures.

Looks great! How flexible is that tubing? I would have thought it would be a little too stiff based on my limited prior use, but it looks plenty flexible in the pictures.
I went with the PU tubing vs. nylon. The PU tubing is quite soft and flexible. I'm sure it's not as durable, but I wouldn't call this a hard use case. I have one of the extra fittings (a F/F PTC) in my drawers now, so if I need to I can 'cut' a hole out (I doubt this will ever happen).

Amazon product ASIN B08B7VX6QX

New tech is so much fun. Tried out a drill/tap combo today on the 2nd RLCA skid install. Awesome. Pair with a medium power battery impact and threads appear. I had trouble on this side (not with the weld, or the skid, or the bolt, all learned last time and easy) with the self-tappers. They didn't take in the hole. Tried a bunch of stuff, including a dedicated tap, but nothing bit. Literally 1 min per hole with the drill-tap combo and I was in business. Drill didn't do anything except provide a good guide for angle, high evacuation spiral tap was money.

I spend $3 more to get the one rated for steel. Was $12.

IMG_5504.JPG

awesome. Ben at Dissent says he uses these (Speedtaps), but I was worried about the cheap ones breaking on me.

awesome. Ben at Dissent says he uses these (Speedtaps), but I was worried about the cheap ones breaking on me.
Yeh. Set of the steel rates ones was more than I wanted to invest. But one 6mm seemed reasonable. It’s the size of a lot of the skid fittings I have.
My box set of metric taps is really cheap, so I wasn’t surprised they couldn’t cut it.
This was a last ditch effort before buying an 11mm drill and a Rivnut tool. Which I want eventually too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom