The Fishing Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it's been a long time but I finally picked up the old Sea Ox from the boat builder. Really glad to pick it up and be really close to getting her in the water.

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG

Started out bottom bouncing for walleye and ended up throwing top water lures for smallmouth last night on Philpott. Watching this guy crush a top water plug was awesome.

IMG_4533.JPG

Well, another Big Rock in the books for me. We only had 1 Blue Marlin release to show for it, but a blast was had by many. That's marlin fishing for you!

We were really on the fence on whether to kill her or not since we couldn't get a real good measurement we decided to cut her loose. My estimate was she was in the 360-400lb range - not quite big enough. She jumped once real nice right after she realized she was hooked, and then dove. Then gave another decent jump and some rolls once we got her up to the surface. She still had some fight in her, which was what made it hard to get a good measurement. Best we could tell was somewhere around 102-105". Mate held her by the leader on the side of the boat for 5mins +, which was quite a feat.

We'll give it a shot again next year!

19224826_10104676924821988_3079601148641121459_n.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg

I commend a release of a fish that size over bringing it to the dock. you sir, deserve a cold one

Well, another Big Rock in the books for me. We only had 1 Blue Marlin release to show for it, but a blast was had by many. That's marlin fishing for you!

We were really on the fence on whether to kill her or not since we couldn't get a real good measurement we decided to cut her loose. My estimate was she was in the 360-400lb range - not quite big enough. She jumped once real nice right after she realized she was hooked, and then dove. Then gave another decent jump and some rolls once we got her up to the surface. She still had some fight in her, which was what made it hard to get a good measurement. Best we could tell was somewhere around 102-105". Mate held her by the leader on the side of the boat for 5mins +, which was quite a feat.

We'll give it a shot again next year!

View attachment 1480974 View attachment 1480975

Absolutely awesome stuff Ramon! Thought about you out there several times this week.

I commend a release of a fish that size over bringing it to the dock. you sir, deserve a cold one

Thanks, but what I really need after last week is a few days WITHOUT any cold ones :D

Absolutely awesome stuff Ramon! Thought about you out there several times this week.

Thanks buddy! It was a blast as usual.

Stephen-lets go ahead and get this seaworthy to enter the Contender category at next years Big Rock....

See there's truth in the old saying "great minds think alike"

These are so funny.

This seems like a good place to get some newb advice on fishing... I want to take my boys fishing at Mountain Island Lake near our house, but have little to no experience. We would be fishing from the shore with basic gear. I'm looking for super basic guidance - which bait, what size hook, sinkers, bobber, etc, in what configuration, to cast from the shore.

This seems like a good place to get some newb advice on fishing... I want to take my boys fishing at Mountain Island Lake near our house, but have little to no experience. We would be fishing from the shore with basic gear. I'm looking for super basic guidance - which bait, what size hook, sinkers, bobber, etc, in what configuration, to cast from the shore.
The epxerience you will have fishing with kids will be both rewarding and frustrating. Rewarding because it's a wonderful thing to teach a kid to do and frustrating because they usually have the attention span of a lit match. That said, it's important to keep them engaged and the only way to do that is to try to make sure they are catching something. I'd suggest finding a bait shop nearby and pick up some worms like nightcrawlers or red worms. The fish will be small but kids generally just love to catch something. Oh yeah, go small with the hooks and bobbers. I would guess that you don't need to fish in water more than about 4-8 feet deep. Have fun and eat what you catch and release the rest.

The epxerience you will have fishing with kids will be both rewarding and frustrating. Rewarding because it's a wonderful thing to teach a kid to do and frustrating because they usually have the attention span of a lit match. That said, it's important to keep them engaged and the only way to do that is to try to make sure they are catching something. I'd suggest finding a bait shop nearby and pick up some worms like nightcrawlers or red worms. The fish will be small but kids generally just love to catch something. Oh yeah, go small with the hooks and bobbers. I would guess that you don't need to fish in water more than about 4-8 feet deep. Have fun and eat what you catch and release the rest.

I would do exactly what Jim said. Keep it simple and easy for young kids. Bobbers and worms in shallower water will usually produce something and that's all the kids are after.

take pliers and bend the barb in on the hook. Makes for much easier releases, for both the kid and the fish

Get some size 6 or 8 hooks. Round bobbers about an inch or so. Small pack of split shot bigger than a BB. Anything you get will work just fine. Fish under a bobber with a split shot a foot above the hook. Adjust the depth with the bobber if you're not getting any bites. Or use an extra weight or two and fish the bottom. Bring some old needle nose pliers or grab some cheap forceps where you buy tackle.

@jimsmith1370 is right...they might just be more interested in anything except fishing after a few minutes - let them.

You'll want to hit up a Walmart, Dick's or online for a fishing license for yourself. The MIL man is usually more interested in drunk boaters than guys fishing with kids on shore, but you never know what they'll be up to any given day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom