The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2 Ton machine delivered yesterday

IMG_1491.jpg

Erin spent about 4 hours on it yesterday and is getting g pretty good with it.

I'm running loader and trying to keep up with her spoils

20200418_102200.jpg

Blew a hose, so waiting for the tech to come out and make the repair. Hopefully we can get most of it cleaned out before the rain tomorrow.

Then I'll get started on the ditch for the shop electric.

Moved a lot of dirt from this end
20200418_185309.jpg

To this end.
20200418_190330.jpg

Pictures really don't do the amount of work done justice, but these 2 give a pretty good idea.

20200419_163607.jpg

20200419_162858.jpg

Got the north end all pretty well cleaned up. Still a good bit of dirt to shuttle around, but the rough shape is there. Will probably have some stone delivered this week to start roughing in the area and the driveway portion.

Ditch for the electric will start tomorrow after work or Tuesday while Erin is home. I'll grab a picture of the south end tomorrow.

And in an odd twist, having the mini-X proved handy when I needed to check on the septic pump tonight after the alarm went off today.

20200419_204141.jpg

Reset the trip and all is good now.

Guess who will be renting a jack hammer tomorrow... :confused:

IH8bedrock....

Electric minimum cover is 18" with SCH80 conduit, 12" with 4" of concrete cover. Most of the ditch is less that 12" to the bottom now. Probably should get a football mouth guard to keep my fillings in my head over the next couple days...

A larger excavator would probably be able to break the layers easier, but the 2T machine just doesn't have the mass to throw behind the cylinders.

Interesting. I pulled a permit, but only because I knew when I pulled the electric permit, they'd check for a building permit. Ours is permitted as an ag structure, but as far as I know that doesn't come with a limit on service size.
GA has some weird requirements. I am sure they are trying to prevent someone from moving into a structure they built as an AG building by limiting the amperage but I could see folks with AG buildings needing quite a bit of power for fans and heaters and such.

This my friends is why they call our community ROCKvale...

20200421_180233.jpg

Got as deep as 9 whole inches in a few spots, down to about 22" in others. A heavier machine might have been able to make a bigger dent, but this was all the 2T could offer. So I have 200' of Sch80 pipe, a meter base and a bunch of other goodies that will just have to wait for me to get a jack hammer, a bigger machine or to pay somebody to come dig this ditch for me.

Wow. Matthew, does the trackhoe have bucket options? If it is built for quick change, maybe the rental company keeps ripper buckets available. I don't know what the correct is. What I am try to describe are the trackhoe buckets that are effectively one tine wide. They sort of look like a chisle/ripper on a subsoiler plow.

Your rock looks like it is a sentiment type like I dealt with in Texas when I put in my in-ground sprinkler system. The solution that worked for me was the pick-ax to rip a gap then sledge hammer to soften it up into individual rock that I rolled out with the pick-ax. With the track hoe, a ripper bucket might allow you to open a gap down the center that you can exploit further with the trackhoe.

Good luck.

@LDowney I did call and ask about options. What I need is a hydraulic hammer attachment which they do not offer. That is limestone rock, but I am in the upper weathered portion. It is layered and will break, comes out in 2" thick chuncks. Same type stuff I was popping out in slabs when building the shop. This little X did good for a bit, but its low weight and hydraulics just got to the end of what they could manage. The machine goes back today and everything has standing water in it from the rain, so going to push the dirt back in and come up with a new plan of attack now that I know my enemy better.

So we were out of town for mother's day most of the weekend, but i got some marching orders on the way home from Knoxville so when we got home I started working on the drive to the big door on the north end after I moved some dirt to the south end.

This one is looking out the door.
20200510_182456.jpg

These are from the yard and give a little more perspective.
20200512_180512.jpg

20200512_180437.jpg

Don't mind the puddle. That needs to be filled in, rock got a little deep on that corner.

Still a good bit of dirt to push around, then gravel and a couple small retaining walls will bookend the drive down to the shop and frame the seating area.

Should give you a general idea.

20200512_202019.jpg

So we were out of town for mother's day most of the weekend, but i got some marching orders on the way home from Knoxville so when we got home I started working on the drive to the big door on the north end after I moved some dirt to the south end.

This one is looking out the door.
View attachment 2304363

These are from the yard and give a little more perspective.
View attachment 2304366

View attachment 2304365

Don't mind the puddle. That needs to be filled in, rock got a little deep on that corner.

Still a good bit of dirt to push around, then gravel and a couple small retaining walls will bookend the drive down to the shop and frame the seating area.

Should give you a general idea.

View attachment 2304396
The little camp fire adds a nice touch

Well, this is the first dry Saturday we have had in a while, and I really didn't know what i should be working on. Erin directed me toward the she shed that has been in a perpetual state of unfinished for over a year now. So i pulled out some of the paneling and got 2 sides sheetfed and got the window in the end.

20200530_155634.jpg

20200530_155652.jpg

Then I decided to do some Bush hogging. Erin ran the tractor for a few hours this morning to try an knock the yard down to a mowable height, another casualty of the steady rain. So i got into some of the areas that just need bush hogging down.

After a couple hours on that, I decided to clean of the dead tree in the backyard.

20200530_175549.jpg

Lil' John had a full load with the main trunk, but managed to get it back so could push the bark and loose stuff up around the stump to burn tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will probably try to get 2 more sheets on the end with the window after i set the stump ablaze, that will get 3 sides dryed in. Then i will be moving dirt around the shop and hopefully plan for some stone to be delivered next weekend.

Just hours running the loader today. Just moving dirt all day. No pictures, nothing picture worthy. Hoping to be ready for a couple of loads of gravel next weekend.

:popcorn:
We closed on the house and got the inside painted. Dude did it with one other guy in about 5 days. Lots of color changes.
Roofers coming out to do some minor repairs and replace all the boots.
Driveway is going to get cleaned, repaired and sealed,
Getting the ducts cleaned. (I am not sure the previous folks ever replaced the filters.)
Then we get to do the unenviable task of moving it and maintenance starts.

I have not yet decided WTF to do about a shop.

Congrats Chris! I know you are ready to be settled in finally. Look forward to seeing progress.

Duct cleaning done. Betsy is once again called into service. Great to have that beater.
We hope to be fully out of the rental by Sunday.
We have a quote for the driveway repairs. I am relieved it is far less than we budgeted. The roofers are running behind. Said it would be a couple more weeks before they could get to our small job.

If there was any doubt, moving your home and your office at the same time sucks.

Duct cleaning done. Betsy is once again called into service. Great to have that beater.
We hope to be fully out of the rental by Sunday.
We have a quote for the driveway repairs. I am relieved it is far less than we budgeted. The roofers are running behind. Said it would be a couple more weeks before they could get to our small job.

If there was any doubt, moving your home and your office at the same time sucks.

Glad ole Betsy is still doing right by you. I was talking to a buddy about her last week.

Also even more happy to hear you guys are getting moved and settled in, finally. Been a long ride, but in a few months, it will just be another story to tell around the fire.

Congrats again Chris and Mrs. H!

Roofers are out doing the repairs now. Just replacing boots and ridge vents and some damaged shingles. Should have another 3-5 years on this roof unless there is a big storm.
Cable is hooked up and I got my home office sorted. Also got the cable hooked up at the office. Next thing there is the burglar alarm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom