The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Erin laid out and started the fire pit today.

614793649.jpg

She got it all dry stacked this afternoon and I think it is going to be just right. She is going to pull it apart and glue it together tomorrow.

20200625_172923.jpg

Also, plan to have 3 loads of stone delivered tomorrow to get the surrounding area leveled and graded for seating. Hopefully by the end of the weekend we have a completed seating area with a fire pit.

Today was a full 8 in the sun except for a break to go get the compactor, but we are good to go.

First we spread almost a whole load of 3/4 to get things roughed up to grade.

20200627_122937.jpg

Then a layer of crusher run topped with some 1/2" and then run it all over with the compactor.

20200627_165033.jpg

And we had to add a layer to the pit because the stone buried the first 1.5.

All glued up and curing.

20200627_172413.jpg

I plan to use some of the left over rebar from the shop to make a grate for the fire to sit on.

I need to do a good full update, but we have added a new tool to the Farm stable.

Had a Kioti 7320 with loader delivered last week.
20200730_194821.jpg

Its yuge, and way more than we really need, but the Wench wants to be able to move cruiser carcuses around, so we went for max lift capacity. 3,400 lbs is what we got on tap with this unit, so check that box off.

With the package I got a land plane. I've been wanting one since we moved out here as I thought it would be handy. Well I was right to want. Still working on figuring out how to adjust it. But so far, it has been everything I thought it would be and more.

20200802_193354.jpg

And proof that the fire pit does work...

20200703_214626.jpg

Been too dang hot to burn anything lately. But soon. I'll update with more pics in a day or so.

There was wenchery afoot this weekend on the farm. We finally unloaded the 62 off the trailer so erin could start fiddling with it.

20200808_120617.jpg

20200808_115907.jpg

Then I decided to claen up an old cedar stump by the driveway. And grade the left over gravel piles. I had such a good time i picked back up this afternoon with some more stump work. Go a wild hair and tried pushing ove rsome dead cedars. That work so well i ended up pushing about 8 down and then using the plane to level everything up.

20200809_184550.jpg

Now I need to get the saw and cut out all the good fire wood and then push the leftovers into a pile to burn this fall.

My bucket also has a crooked smile or a fat lip however you want to look at it... regardless, guess I should look i to a stump bucket so I don't ruin this thing completely.

20200809_184906.jpg

All in all, im happy with the weekends work.

Looks great! You need to come out and beat on one of your Toyotas like you beat on that tractor. Chicks dig dents!

Been awhile since I've checked in on the progress. Looking really good Matt. Just realized that I drive by Eagleville about 5 or 6 times a year to go down to Centerville/Dickson area to deer hunt.

Last edited:
Well when they say use the cap head nails. You should listen. The synthetic underlayment didn't play well with the staples and parts of it pulled up. So i ripped it all up yesterday, let the decking air out and dry today and now we are back in the dry under a fresh layer of underlayment attached with cap head nails.

20200824_173009.jpg

I have been trying to find a day to go and get some metal for it, but this weekend we decided to just shingle it and be done since the metal hasn't materialized yet.

So I picked up 3 square of "barkwood" today and a box of nails.

20200824_143608.jpg

If it ain't raining, I'll be roofing on Saturday morning. The main roof is just under 200 SF, so should be able to knock it out pretty quick.

Last edited:
Pain in the ass that you had to redo the roof but you’ll be glad you did it. I am routinely reminded of a few hack jobs I’ve done and am too lazy to pull it up and fix it.

Hope the weather is cooler and drier up there for the roof job.

Love the progress. We have not made any on getting a shop.
We are getting the driveway sealed next week finally and we have a guy coming out to look at some hardscape we want to repair and add. Stuff I would like to do myself but I nust can not muster the time and energy.

Sweet lord I was reminded how much I do not enjoy roofing today. Did it a lot when I was in high school, but time has not been kind. Anyway, the rain pushed out, so I knocked out the shingles on the main roof.

Threw a piece of PT 2x2 around the edge to serve as a drip edge, then starter course and up we went.

20200829_120207.jpg

I think I spent between 6 and 8 hours on the roof. By the time I got to the top, I was completely spent. I still need a piece of metal drip edge, cap the ridge, and trim the sides off clean, but we are under roof.

20200829_162157.jpg

I don't think I've posted the porch lately, but it is ready for decking.

20200829_162240.jpg

I am going to try and get the porch decked and papered tomorrow and then I need ro try and get those triangles closed in on each end. We are getting close to being all dried in. 2.5 years and counting...

Tomorrow I am taking delivery of the lumber to build a 20x60 leanto equipment shed. It was a realtively in expensive option that required no demo, earth moving or concrete pour. It will get me through until the garagemahal gets built.

Tomorrow I am taking delivery of the lumber to build a 20x60 leanto equipment shed. It was a realtively in expensive option that required no demo, earth moving or concrete pour. It will get me through until the garagemahal gets built.

Very good. But what will it be leaning on? Pictures?

I burned up my two long bits and am about 2/3 done with through bolting and have cut the excess posts off. Will continue with the bolting process in the coming days.

Next will be the rafters and then I need to order perlins and metal. Damn lumber prices right now.

Then T111 and stain it to protect the siding.

Yeah, lumber has gone stupid. I've been talking to a ton of contractors who have said its killing them because lots of projects that were in the pipe are now stalling and even when they do move forward, they are on razor thin margins.

The shed is coming together nicely. Look forward to more updates.

So many things to do, but only so many hours. We watched fooseball on the roku by the firepit yeaterday so I had today to chores.

(Picture from a couple Saturdays ago, but looked pretty much the same)
20201003_181107.jpg

I have a boat load of random old wood laying around and most of it isn't usable, so I loaded it up on the forks and proceeded to cut it up to use as firewood. Ended up with 3 bucketloads under the lean-to.

20201018_145531.jpg

Then I have been needing to cut some small trees that had sprung up on the west end of the barn and clean up around that end a little, so I made sure there wasn't anything in the tall grass, knocked it down and cut the 4 trees. Still more to do, but that and cleaning up the little limbs pretty much got me to sunset.

Before
20201018_170836.jpg

After
20201018_171440.jpg

And this isn't farm related, but I figure any of you guys who casually check in here from time to time would enjoy this news. We will soon be the new caretakers of this FC Fab piece of art. Hopefully we'll be able to take delivery the first part of November.
20201012_143901.jpg

So next year at GSMTR we will be ready to follow some of our pals on some of the more challenging trails.

Bad ass Pig.
I use that s***ty lumber to build furniture so long as it isn't rotted.
And here is the progress on my leanto...complete with Cruiser content:
20201019_084859.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom