The Coleman Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pardon the double posting,damn keyboard.LOL

The letters correspond to the model itself, although with Coleman lots of variation within letter series. The 228F has the new style vent and the aluminum cage rest. It looks and is very traditional in appearance. I can get you some dates but probably mid to late 1960s.

my 228 is an H series, made in late 73, the J would have been next in line, FWIU. this is the 228 I want...
228Fgoldbond.JPG

228F Gold Bond Lantern
In the early 1970s, Coleman U.S.A. made several goldenrod-colored lanterns for the Gold Bond Trading Company (now known as Carlson, the parent of TGI Friday's and Radisson) to sell and potentially give away as prizes. This twin-mantle 228F lantern is one of them. This lantern is far rarer than its green brethren, but still features the same ribbed collar and everything you would expect. It is dated January 1972.

http://www.millioncandlepower.info/lantpost50.html

so who knows what this is...
Projector.JPG

I love the Coleman Oven, I have my dad's and it works great, I always cook biscuits in it and they come out great.

I also like the fact that they had to put a stamp on the inside door, do not use with leaded fuel.

I wish I could get my hands on a old Coleman Oven.

Good score!

Last edited:
I wish I could get my hands on a old Coleman Oven.

Good score!
I didn't even want the oven. Lol. I just assumed they didn't work and the guy only wanted $10 for all of it, so I was only after the stand. After I brought it home I realized something was different about it from the one I saw in the store.

Definite score there!

Any pics of the inside?

It's on the route home from our vacation so I'll be stopping in for an encoure and will grab some inside pics. grabbed a nice flashlight, a cooler and a beer coozy (beach essentials) but I'm not done yet.

Inside the land of milk and honey:

My kind of "Coleman" store is all about the liquid fuel. I might have to post up some pictures of Ollie Damon's.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for relighting a Coleman 425 when it was recently turned off? I paid 5 bucks for this stove about 15 years ago, and I've rebuilt it a couple of times. For the "cold start" situation, it fires and runs like a champ. But if I fire it up in the morning to boil some water, then turn it off and let it sit for 1/2 hour, and then try to light it again there is no chance of getting a strong blue flame. It tends to sputter and choke on itself, and if I try to pressurize the tank again, then I end up with liquid fuel blowing through the manifold and into the burner which leads to a sweet little fire.

I've never really figured out the right procedure for using the stove in this situation. The tank has decent pressure, and the tubes may be a bit warm. If I just fire it up, it'll run with a weak orange flame. If I try to repressureize the tank, it seems to get over pressured and spew gas.

Ideas?

Anyone have any tips/tricks for relighting a Coleman 425 when it was recently turned off? I paid 5 bucks for this stove about 15 years ago, and I've rebuilt it a couple of times. For the "cold start" situation, it fires and runs like a champ. But if I fire it up in the morning to boil some water, then turn it off and let it sit for 1/2 hour, and then try to light it again there is no chance of getting a strong blue flame. It tends to sputter and choke on itself, and if I try to pressurize the tank again, then I end up with liquid fuel blowing through the manifold and into the burner which leads to a sweet little fire.

I've never really figured out the right procedure for using the stove in this situation. The tank has decent pressure, and the tubes may be a bit warm. If I just fire it up, it'll run with a weak orange flame. If I try to repressureize the tank, it seems to get over pressured and spew gas.

Ideas?

Anytime the flames are yellow it's running rich. Generally by turning the lever up, you are supplying some compressed air with the gas. In a warm restart situation, I'd do the lever up thing just like you would if it was cold, then pump up the pressure a bit. When it's burning correctly, turn the lever down, and pump it up to full pressure.

Have you replaced the generator? When they get old and clogged, they can do stuff like this.

Crusty rusty 53 and it's clean older brother the 52 sparked up! Only 17 more lanterns to go!
1435900969336.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom