The Coleman Thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No I still have it :)
1432909322081.jpg

Inside
1432909389132.jpg

My dad made a couple boxes similar, but they don't have lids. The lid is a good idea.

Coleman oil heater.jpg
Any info on what year this might be? I have tried Google but its been no help. I called Coleman and they were useless too.
Model# 885A, serial # B-439982, BTU output 50,000
I found this (tag only) while camping in the Mojave.
Thanks for the help

Dyno

The tag is from a Coleman residential house furnace. Way, way back, Coleman made refrigerators, ranges, heaters and lamps for residential use.

Most used Coleman fuel or kerosene for fuel.

I picked these up yesterday for $30 from Craigslist. Lantern is a '75. Stove is a' 71. Crazy thing is, as I got close to the guys house, I realized I was close to a neighborhood I loved in as a kid. Guy's house was 4 blocks from my old home! These were there when I lived nearby, and had been waiting for me for 25 years. That's how I feel anyway. These certainly hold a special place for me.

uploadfromtaptalk1433525892458.JPG
uploadfromtaptalk1433525937811.JPG

That's a tidy looking 502. That alone is a good pick up. 502s are great little utility stoves.

The lantern has what look like unburned mantels on it. Has it ever been used?

That's a tidy looking 502. That alone is a good pick up. 502s are great little utility stoves.

The lantern has what look like unburned mantels on it. Has it ever been used?

The lantern does have new mantles in it, as well as another set in the safe. Unfortunately, the lantern fount has a big dent on the backside- I guess it adds character. The guy said he used to use it all the time. The 502 is brand new, never been fired. The only marks on it are the wrinkled/ripped decal and some kind of moisture mark on the generator. Other than that and a little dust in the burner bowl, the stove is spotless. I do need to oil the pump cup on the 502 at least. I feel like I just obtained an heirloom- I'm very pleased.

I'm thinking about my lantern box....barrel, that is, using 1X oak staves. Just need to find some bands of correct diameter...think mini keg...

So I'm really loving the 426C three-burner that C-Drew rescued from a meth lab and passed on to me (see story several pages back). It is a perfect "user" grade for banging around the back of your truck on the trail.

I really wanted a clean one, though. I set up a 426 search notification on my eBay app and waited and waited for clean specimens to pop up (those do not ever pop up locally).

A few came up, but I either didn't bid or got outbid at the last second.

Meanwhile, there was a NIB 426C that had a high buy-it-now price. I "watched" it just for the fun of it. It never sold and got relished at a lower price, but with high shipping (not inflated, these are just expensive to ship).

That auction expired as well. If the seller had just started the auction low, she probably could have gotten what she originally wanted. I sent her a friendly message with my best offer, if she was open to offers. She agreed and set up an auction for me.

I had to cash out my 401K and my kids will now have to fend for themselves come time for college, but I think it was worth it...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No money shots just yet. I'm not going to keep it NIB, but this will be for home use only. I haven't decided what meal to cook to pop its cherry.

Last edited:
Like a time capsule from 1962. Great find, and your kids probably won't want to go to college anyway.

score! :clap:

I had to cash out my 401K and my kids will now have to fend for themselves come time for college, but I think it was worth it...

:lol:

man, that sucker might be too far gone...I'll take it o scrap for you if you wanna send it my way...

That thing looks awesome,i got my 3 burner new also but out of box and had a few scratches.

I'm looking into a 228 style lantern but not sure which one to get or stay away from,i love the look of the large hat. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Vipergrhd-I may have a spare 228F at home. Send me a PM to confirm and if you're interested. I recall it's decent, burns excellent, may not be perfect cosmetically.

The 228F is mid 1960s so very traditional Coleman, not the later shrader valve style that started in the 1970s.

Thanks Drew,what's with the letters is that just for production purposes or year it was made?

There is a 228j on CL from San Rafael for $50 bucks it's nice but too much IMO. What you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom