The Coleman Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah the green 200A is pretty rare and this one is in good shape. The Powerhouse looks like it could not have been run more than once and the case looks like it just came out of the box. The lamps are users for me. The lamps are cheap but the shades - even reproductions - get expensive. I don't think the aluminum funnels were ever used and all have the felt filter.

And the jerry can is the bonus. Good enough for the US Marines good enough for me. I need to make a dedicated powder cure oven to be able to powder coat these.

Hey fellas I've posted on here before regarding old stoves and lanterns and stuff, but this might be an out of line post. Just thought you died in the wool campers might have an opinion and technically the popup camper in question is a Coleman ... For the last few years I've been looking for a camping solution to pull behind my Cruisers. I have a low mile 89 FJ62 converted to a new H55F manual and a 96 FZJ80. For years I've towed all manner of campers up to 28ft with my trust Ford Super Duty. Bought a larger popup camper with a 14.5ft box and it was a high wall (3,000lbs plus and that's dry weight) a couple years back hoping to pull that with my cruisers but it's a losing proposition. There's some pretty big hills between Phoenix and the much cooler north country up I-17. After lots of searching I finally found this gem a 2006 Fleetwood Yuma. It's a 9.5ft box, about 14ft overall, with no AC, no hot water heater, but it does have a furnace and a water pump. Just wanted something simple and light. It's 1500lbs dry weight. Can't wait to try it hooked to my FJ62. If that'll pull it then the much more modern inline six in the 80 series should pull it okay. Any predictions?

View attachment 1758562
have now had a chance to pull this with my 80 series and it makes a BIG difference over the FJ62. Not winning any races but I think it'll get me there.

Here’s one I just finished for a customer at work. He brought it in and said he wanted restored because it’s just like the one his dad cooked on for him when he was a kid.
(He also gave me a Sears 425-ish model stove that he found at the same yard sale)

4FBEA3A5-2424-49B3-883F-97B8E19F4F34.jpeg

F01EC1E7-00A4-4D47-86D6-B952475B348E.jpeg

FYI for Denver Metro people! They just opened a Coleman outlet in Thornton CO about a month ago.

I have a question, I found a lantern and metal case for sale like the one in the upper left corner of this photo that I copied from Koffer on this thread. It is in much poorer shape than the one pictured. They are asking $39.00 for the pair. Thoughts?

photo 1.JPG

I have a question, I found a lantern and metal case for sale like the one in the upper left corner of this photo that I copied from Koffer on this thread. It is in much poorer shape than the one pictured. They are asking $39.00 for the pair. Thoughts?

View attachment 1828554
I would offer 30, but probably go for the 39. I’m a sucker for those cases.

Thanks I need to think it over. I picked up two lanterns and a 413G stove today for $45.00.

Big hats rock and the metal cases are just plain cool and desirable. $40 is fair go for it.

Big hats rock and the metal cases are just plain cool and desirable. $40 is fair go for it.

It's has a lot of surface rust an the lamp has been use a lot. Do you still think it's worth it?

It's has a lot of surface rust an the lamp has been use a lot. Do you still think it's worth it?
you can refinish it yourself for 10 bucks plus your time. I agree the big hats and the cases are the primo Coleman finds.

Well I went back to buy it, I was very excited to get it. Looked at it over again. The rust on the bottom of the box was really bad. So bad I could put my thumb through it if I tried hard enough. So I opted not to get it. Thanks for all your input.

Love this thread. I'm up to three stoves 413G, 425F, and a 426D. I have four lanterns (2) 220J's and (2) 288's. Everything works except one of the 220J's, and I think that has a blockage in the air tube.

Hey everyone! Just scored a SUPER clean 220J, from 1977. I put new mantles in it, oiled the pump, and it fired right up! I got it out again tonight, and had a bit of a fiasco. While I tried to light it, it started leaking kerosene down the straw. Once it lit, it burned down the straw, and behind the knob. Which I'm assuming is the generator? I stood ready to extinguish it, but then it started working normally! Could I have over pressured it? It still appears to be leaking around the top of the straw.

04AA67D1-D1AE-4C15-A8A3-0581CF942513.jpeg

29790C9D-E11A-4FE3-99F1-F9970A51A8F0.jpeg

A8495FD7-35A6-4BD3-94AE-650275592D7D.jpeg

8C944F59-2773-4D3B-AFAA-F6C349489D66.jpeg

43A5D2F5-CEF6-47BE-B2A1-C59E4981044C.jpeg

Hey everyone! Just scored a SUPER clean 220J, from 1977. I put new mantles in it, oiled the pump, and it fired right up! I got it out again tonight, and had a bit of a fiasco. While I tried to light it, it started leaking kerosene down the straw. Once it lit, it burned down the straw, and behind the knob. Which I'm assuming is the generator? I stood ready to extinguish it, but then it started working normally! Could I have over pressured it? It still appears to be leaking around the top of the straw.

View attachment 1835725

View attachment 1835726

View attachment 1835727

View attachment 1835728

View attachment 1835729
several of my lanterns will do that if they're over pumped. I start with about 23 pumps and go up from there. Flame ups most often occur when you light it the second time, because the lantern has held pressure well and you're essentially doubling it with the second round of pumps. they all burn off eventually. I've never been burned (kknock on wood) by burning fluid coming out around the pump housing or anything. just be careful.

several of my lanterns will do that if they're over pumped. I start with about 23 pumps and go up from there. Flame ups most often occur when you light it the second time, because the lantern has held pressure well and you're essentially doubling it with the second round of pumps. they all burn off eventually. I've never been burned (kknock on wood) by burning fluid coming out around the pump housing or anything. just be careful.
Thanks for the tip, I think your right, and what happened was totally normal. Where it took forever to light, I think it was just flooded. Everything seems to work really well on it! I love this thing.

IMG-2897.JPG

Old Town Yucca was an amazing resource, sadly their site is gone and domain is for sale. So I've now been using OldColemanParts.com. For Utah locals there is a great local resource that stick an amazing quantity of Coleman spares, Vics Lock & Key in downtown SLC, beside them Sportsmans and Cabelas stocks the regular components, generators, mantles and even globes occasionally.

Links:
OldColemanParts.com
Coleman Collectors Club

A few of my old Colemans :D
View attachment 443125View attachment 443126

This is really cool! How old are they?

Scored a military model on Letgo today. 1983.
Little lube and cleaning, and it fired right up!
Now I just need to find one of those cool cases for the 200...and I might have this out of my system...yah right.

View attachment 1845410
need more pics! these are the black ones right? and they run on something other than Coleman fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom