The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dou
Another score from this past weekend. Little backstory, I grew up in a very isolated small town in WV. The whole town almost got washed away by a flood in ‘77. The whole area went weeks without power and water. After things got back to normal my grandfather ordered these at the local hardware store in case it ever happened again, he put them in his basement and they’ve been there ever since. He died in ‘87 and I had no idea they were down there. While visiting my 89 year old grandmother this weekend she told me with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth “to get my ass down there and go through some of that s*** in the basement “ LOL

I was super stoked to find both of these brand new still in the box.

View attachment 1755653

View attachment 1755654

View attachment 1755655
Double Coleman bonus weekend!

Another score from this past weekend. Little backstory, I grew up in a very isolated small town in WV. The whole town almost got washed away by a flood in ‘77. The whole area went weeks without power and water. After things got back to normal my grandfather ordered these at the local hardware store in case it ever happened again, he put them in his basement and they’ve been there ever since. He died in ‘87 and I had no idea they were down there. While visiting my 89 year old grandmother this weekend she told me with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth “to get my ass down there and go through some of that s*** in the basement “ LOL

I was super stoked to find both of these brand new still in the box.

View attachment 1755653

View attachment 1755654

View attachment 1755655
awesome story.

^^^ That is really cool, finding old NIB stuff.

Here's a question for you experts: My wife's grandfather had this old Coleman 2-burner stove, a model 425B.

Any clue on date? All I have found is early to mid-1950's. They apparently had the more common red fuel tanks after 1958.

However, I haven't found anything on a cylindrical, green tank (?)

coleman-425B-stove.jpg

The backstory: When 'Pap' passed away a couple years ago and we had to clear out his house, I brought it home. It has sat in our shed until recently, when I decided to see if it was functional.

I will admit, I don't want to mess with Coleman fuel or white gas, so I bought a Stansport propane adapter...and it works great!

But I am curious as to the date, if anyone has any insight.

- Brian

That tank is a repaint. Was originally copper colored. A round tank is always a good stove.

I "think" 425 no letter was like 1949-50, so assuming they ran the 425A for a few years yeah I would say mid-50's. I've never been able to find a date on earlier stoves but some guys say to look on the tank tabs.

Nice stove clean er up and light it on fire.

Hey fellas I've posted on here before regarding old stoves and lanterns and stuff, but this might be an out of line post. Just thought you died in the wool campers might have an opinion and technically the popup camper in question is a Coleman ... For the last few years I've been looking for a camping solution to pull behind my Cruisers. I have a low mile 89 FJ62 converted to a new H55F manual and a 96 FZJ80. For years I've towed all manner of campers up to 28ft with my trust Ford Super Duty. Bought a larger popup camper with a 14.5ft box and it was a high wall (3,000lbs plus and that's dry weight) a couple years back hoping to pull that with my cruisers but it's a losing proposition. There's some pretty big hills between Phoenix and the much cooler north country up I-17. After lots of searching I finally found this gem a 2006 Fleetwood Yuma. It's a 9.5ft box, about 14ft overall, with no AC, no hot water heater, but it does have a furnace and a water pump. Just wanted something simple and light. It's 1500lbs dry weight. Can't wait to try it hooked to my FJ62. If that'll pull it then the much more modern inline six in the 80 series should pull it okay. Any predictions?

00H0H_8rJ3rKcBGmO_1200x900.jpg

So, I just picked this up...

Looks to never have been fired, or if it had been, I don't think it's even been cooked on. December 1971.

IMG_20180811_120625.jpg

IMG_20180811_120635.jpg

IMG_20180811_120644.jpg

IMG_20180811_120732.jpg

IMG_20180811_120744.jpg

More

IMG_20180811_120839.jpg

IMG_20180811_120821.jpg

IMG_20180811_120855.jpg

IMG_20180811_120903.jpg

IMG_20180811_121128.jpg

More

IMG_20180811_121256.jpg

IMG_20180811_121307.jpg

So... I'm torn on using this thing! It looks so good all clean and shiny! If I did use it, what do you guys suggest I do to protect the paint, finish, and condition of this thing?

So... I'm torn on using this thing! It looks so good all clean and shiny! If I did use it, what do you guys suggest I do to protect the paint, finish, and condition of this thing?

It's a Coleman camp stove. There are millions of these. It's meant to cook your camp dinner for the next 50 years. Use it and enjoy. If you feel the condition is too nice, go to a garage sale and buy another that's lightly used for $20 and use that. Unless it's a rare model, they are all users. So cook on it like you mean it and forget about "collector value". It's a camp stove, so go camping and use it.

That's what I needed to hear. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid by using this... Just like our Toyotas, these are meant to be used, not just admired. Thanks for the reinforcement!

Last edited:

Well...send me the green one and one of the filter funnels.:D

Seriously, you did well. I've never been into the lamps but can see they would be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

• mgrs
Back
Top Bottom