The block is at the machine shop.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't boil it. The oil pump drive bushing IS NOT serviced.

why?

cruiserdan said:
Don't boil it. The oil pump drive bushing IS NOT serviced.

is it a plastic bushing?
what happens if it gets boiled?

Brass or bronze, I don't remember which of the top of my head. That process will ruin the bushing, then you get to buy a new block. I do not know of a sucessful attempt at duplicating one.

does that create play in the oil pressure?

cruiserdan said:
Brass or bronze, I don't remember which of the top of my head. That process will ruin the bushing, then you get to buy a new block. I do not know of a sucessful attempt at duplicating one.

you definitly know more than me about it, but doesnt the dist. shaft drop into the oil pump?
what's the bushing for?
thanx for the info dan :cheers:

On the 1FZ the oil pump and power steering pump are gear-driven off of the crankshaft. There is an idler gear in the block that is supported by said bushing.

thanx c-dan

cruiserdan said:
On the 1FZ the oil pump and power steering pump are gear-driven off of the crankshaft. There is an idler gear in the block that is supported by said bushing.

i was thinking 2f my bad :doh:

One of the few major stupid things Toyota has done :(.

LR_RESQ said:
Yeah, that and the 3.0l V6. :doh:

I have heard this over and over and yet the 3.0 V6 on my 88 4Runner (1st year for the 6 in the Runner) now has over 230K on it with no major malfunctions other than the front pulley bracket bearing plate which is this huge pain in posterior piece that cost like 600 bucks. Other than that it was and it is a great little engine, at least in my immediate experience. JADP (Just Another Data Point). :cheers:

The 3VZE makes such low power and is a gas hog compared to the 22RE. Top it off with bad head gaskets.

cruiserman said:
The 3VZE makes such low power and is a gas hog compared to the 22RE. Top it off with bad head gaskets.

Yea, top those bad head gaskets off with a free two day rental car, completely free R&R of the gaskets, and also all free labor to replace everything else in there under factory HG recall ( front crank and cam seals, water pump, etc) and its really not such a bad deal. The 3VZE produces about 40 HP (IIRC) more than the 22RE, so its not "low power compared to the 22RE" by any means, its just low power in general, which is what I think you were trying to say? Dont know how to compare the mileage to the 22RE but at 6500 feet with an auto tranny, that 22RE is a "gas dog", and I'd rather want a gas hog that does about 18mpg most of the time and can actually climb up Pikes Peak, which I have done dozens of time in my trusty rusty Runner. Still, the 1FZFE is clearly completely superior. Anyways, again, just another data point. :cheers:

Not that I am aware of.

How many miles on a motor before its not rebuildable?
Has anyone had to rebuild their motor becouse it wore out? Does the 1FZ ware out?
What's the leading reason for rebuilds?

LR_RESQ said:
Yeah, that and the 3.0l V6. :doh:

AGREED 100%
the 3.0 is a turd, I had a 94' 4 runner with the 3.0 that almost made it to 60K before leaking coolant to the outside via a head gasket failure. Toyota took care of it FOC on a quiet service campaign but did not want to help 10K miles later when 2 exhaust valves burned and required the heads to be rebuilt. When you combine that with the gutless performance it was TURD. At the same time I had a hilux 4x4 ext cab 4x4 that felt like it had more power than the 3.0 plus I sold it at 260K and it still ran great.

landtoy80 said:
How many miles on a motor before its not rebuildable?
Has anyone had to rebuild their motor becouse it wore out? Does the 1FZ ware out?
What's the leading reason for rebuilds?

IIRC, robbie posted the 1fzfe was built for three rebuilds at 300,000 miles each.....so it's basically a million mile motor. :D

3.0L V6 with 180K+. Recalled head gaskets. No other problems whatsoever. Plus it's non-interference. So if the timing belt goes you don't trash the valves like on the 22RE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom