The Best Steak You Have Ever Had (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I have to tell this story because it's too sad not to. I fixed a friend of my wife's AC unit a couple weeks ago. While I was working on it she and her husband come out and talk to me. During the conversation they ask if I liked steak. Huh? Of course I do, you would have to be a mentally challenged PETA lover not to. So she says that her husband makes the best steak in the world. At this point I stopped what I was doing and actually started listening. She say that she would like to have my family over for a steak dinner one night and try these magical steaks her husband casts from the gods.

This past Friday was the day I will never forget. We all went over to have a steak dinner. I was particularly excited to get to taste the best steak ever. When we got to the house I started the inspection of the place that I would come to worship as the house the magical steak. We came in the side door of the house. It was then I noticed the grill. It was a newish Weber kettle. After seeing that I told myself this could be promising. After 30 min of chatting the guy ask me if I was ready to have the best steak ever. I didn't know how to answer. Did he think I just took a shower, changed the kids into fresh clothes and diapers for my enjoyment? How would one say no?

So he goes to the kitchen and I follow as I want to know his secrets. This sadly is when it went down hill fast. He proceeds to take what vaguely resembled steak out of the fridge. 4 Steaks in fact. It was thin, really thin. To thin to be a steak as a real steak is at least an inch or more thick. I though maybe this was some sort of wrap for the steak and the real steaks were already sitting out somewhere at room temp. But no I was to be disappointed for the first of many times that night. He takes these pancake size meat cuts out of the fridge, sets the on the counter and then goes for the spice cabinet. At this point I realized he planned to marinate this unholy and undeserving meat cut with spices. He pulled out garlic powder, and cayenne pepper and started rubbing them down. I had never seen such a thing and for a brief moment that this couldn't be that bad. But then it happened. He pulled out of the cubbard vegetable oil and slathered it all over these meat cuts. The worst sin of them all. Everyone knows you don't put vegetable oil on meat destine for the grill. It will instantly burn on a hot fire. By this time I'm devastated. He then busts out the Kingsford charcoal. But then creates another sin buy dousing it in lighter fluid. At this point I thought it would be at least another 20 min before he put the meat cuts on but I was wrong. No more than 5 min transpired before he put them on. I watched as he lifted the cover to a yellow lighter fluid infused fire and threw them down. I wanted to go home. But I figured it wouldn't be long now with the meat cuts being so thin it would only take a couple min to cook them. I was wrong. He cooked them for 20 min. They came off that grill not meat but something that resembled an oil stain in my driveway. It had no flex in it and it was black all over.

When the steak was served I attempted to eat it. I mixed it with the baked potato and imitation bacon bits we had been given. I loaded it down with salt but it was useless. It was a complete and utter failure. This guy sitting across from me should have his man car taken away and his wife's mouth must be sewn together for uttering of thing that I shall have from the heavens. My wife didn't eat it and my kids didn't even know what it was. It will be something that is etched in my memory for the rest of my life as I burped that foul tasting meat thing for the next day. My stomach couldn't digest it and eventually it all turned to a gas and exited anyway it could.

This past Sunday my wife said she was going to Costco and I knew what I had to do. I told her to pick up the best marbled pack of rib-eyes she could find. In fact she talked to the butcher, told him the story and he cut me four 2 inch thick rib-eyes of his best stuff. I let them sit for 2 hrs getting to room temp. Lightly rubbed them with olive oil and a nice coating of fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt. On the 600 degree Ducane grill that had some of my prized hickory sitting in the smoke tray. No more than 5 min total. That night we ate the noble steaks with a russet potato. The only garnish for my steak was a spoonful of raw horseradish. It was not the best steak I'd ever had but it was in the top ten and help me come out of the shock from the weekends events.

Last edited:
glad you're still with us...

(not in a grave or in a jail....)

:D

good story!

That is a sad tale indeed.

The best steak I ever had at a restaurant was a 24oz porter house from a little Mom & Pop steak house that has become a part of pre-franchise history. The Mignon section was the size of my fist, the new york section was a meal in itself. It was cooked to a perfect reddish purple in the center and seasoned with just a dash of S&P and some house seasoning that actually accentuated the flavor of the steak rather than detracted from it.

Lately I have been doing steaks at home on a cast iron griddle. If you have never cooked steak on a 500° piece of cast iron give it a try. The caramelized crust that develops is amazing. I put the griddle directly on my grill and crank the heat to max. When the thermometer reads 500° sear both sides then shut the grill off and let the residual heat in the griddle/skillet cook the steak to your desired degree of doneness flipping as required.

Liam/Noah/Beef-Barley cooks a pretty mean chunk of beef.

We get real good cuts of meat up here and I have been using some of the lessons I learned from him at SNT.

I am definitly improving.

Maybe he ment to say the best piece of beef jerkey you will ever have.

I too like to use cast iron for steaks. I sear both sides, then put a big glob of garlic butter, with a little blue cheese mixed in, right before serving. Healthy...no, but it is good.

I am with you on the 2" ribeye. Simple seasonings of salt, pepper, olive oil. I a Big Green Egg that makes the best steak ever. Put it on at 600 degrees, cook it for 4-5 minutes per side. As I let it rest I put a knob of compound butter on it and let it melt on the steak. To make your own compound butter, take a stick of butter at room temp, add seasons and herbs of your choosing. Mix it all up, roll into a log shape in plastic wrap and throw it in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to use it. Then you simply slice off a bit, as and when you need it. I like fresh rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper in mine.

Now, that's the best steak I have ever eaten!

Best Steak

Ruth Steak House.....:doh:.....best t-bone and porter house steak I had ever have.It sound's to me like he was trying to grill some Carne Asada,from what you're describing.......Mexican dude?If so, hopefully he'll never opens a mexican restaurant.It would be a disgrace if he did.I know Carne Asada.(My dad was a chef)Enjoy the story.:eek: In the words of my dad: BUEN PROVECHO and SALUD:beer:

So are you gonna invite said "friends" over and demonstrate the proper way to cook and serve a steak?

Nick

I wouldn't waste a good steak on him. Maybe his wife......if she's hot. :lol:

Ahi Tuna steaks are the best!

I have had an awesome filet mignon at Ruth's Chris before.

The wife and I prefer the filet prepped just like you cracked black pepper, fresh sea salt, rub lightly with olive oil.

I also enjoy a good marinated skirt steak.

Right when you said too thin to be a steak, all I could think of was steak-ums.

Per UMMAGUMMA: Ruth's Chris New York Strip was #1 for me. I was born and spent a good portion of my adult life in Nebraska...I've had plenty of top notch steaks.

But if I had to draw it down to the best it was a number of years ago at the Ruth's Chris steakhouse on Van Ness in San Francisco; it was worth every penny.

so basically, the only thing it takes to have you visit with the family all-dressed up and freshly showered is for somebody to claim that one has the best steak in the world...? :D I might try that sometime, just for the pleasure of your company and hearing funny stories... :) Do you do long-distance visits too...? I'll let you cook your own and you get to pick the grill you like best out of my collection... :)

Liam/Noah laid out the best meat.

So you went for a steak and he abused your meat?:eek:

Spressomon:I was visiting my late son in San Antonio TX.after being in the hospital for way to long and being tired of the hospital food,He wanted to go and have some good steak.So that's how we end out there.After the "royal meal"we order some creme bruley,so this waitress beautiful young lady brings all starts preparing this outstanding desert as she's getting done she says to my son"This is on the house and thank you for your service"Yeah the meal was good,but being right next to my son and daughter @ that moment,could not help by feeling tall and proud as a Dad and an emigrant who came here 30+ years to the land of the Free and the Brave.Seing all those young man and Ladies back in Walter Reed,some with missing arms or legs or a combination of both and many other wounds and yet... walking Tall and Proud Wow....How can not as American's be proud.To all of those out there who are serving or have served and those whom had gone before us,My family and I THANK YOU.

Recent memory;
PINNACLE PEAK RESTAURANT
('cause I didn't have to cook it)..:D
Costco beef is always consistently excellent. The chain grocery stuff is substandard and WAY overpriced. Used to have a IGA here, best marbled, melt in your mouth ribeyes for $4.99/lb. :frown: I miss those days..

Away on a work project for several months I ended up in Midland, Michigan... Found an old school butcher shop, Jack's Meat Market.

For grilling my own- Best steaks, YES PLURAL, that I have ever cooked. Organic Grass Fed.. YUM! Haven't found a close second since 2009..

For restaurant- Oyster Bar on Market Street, downtown Salt Lake City--coffee rubbed Del Monico ribeye with an Australian lobster tail on the side.

Cheers J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom