Builds The Barn Find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you! That certainly sounds like a good place to start. Will get the impact wrench out, and start disassembling! Do you know if I should keep all of my updates on this thread or is their a "build thread" of some sort, I am supposed to make? Thanks again.
I think keeping all the updates here and making this into a build thread would be great. I would love to watch. Post whatever you can, these are fun to watch.

This should help
3181CFDC-D142-4135-BA72-B01D2BF0B9E5.jpeg

Hello and welcome to my first thread!! Over this weekend we picked up 1 1973 FJ40 (red) and 1 1970 FJ40 (green). My name is Brayden, from South Dakota. It is quite possible we are in over our heads with these projects, ha!! But I can tell you this, we are going to give it everything we’ve got.

If you decide you are in too deep, or want to part them, get in touch. I`m down in Ames, IA.

Saw those on the Facebook marketplace awhile back. Weren't there 3? Price was steep though. Hope you got them for a good deal and will do them justice.
Hey MDH33! Yup, there were three. One had a plow and was way too far gone for repair. Only good things were solid doors, hood, and MAYBE the engine but who knows if you can get it running. All other parts were shot. Also couldn't get a title for that one for my state. Price was listed at $20k for the three, which was certainly off the charts... Got just the two, for significantly less. Thanks for your reply! Small world for sure.

I bet the front pads are rusted / swollen to the drum from wheel cylinders leaking. Replace complete brake system wheel cylinders/pads/ soft lines and master. Might get away with leaving hard lines depending on condition. Great score!! Enjoy the journey!!! Lots of pics!!
Thank you CRZR45!! Your knowledge is much appreciated. We will be doing this one right. 100% mechanically sound, is the only way to do it! Pictures, pictures, pictures, I agree with ya. Thanks again for the reply.

If you decide you are in too deep, or want to part them, get in touch. I`m down in Ames, IA.
You got it MDH33!! Possibly go check out the one with the plow, if you need doors, windows, hood, or a couple other small things.

The red one is OK. the white part on the front is the bezel, and a lot of people here on MUD have a stroke whenever the thick part is not on top. Early model 40s even had “land cruiser” printed out on the top. Most people don’t even realize there even is a thick and skinny part until it’s pointed out. Anyway, if you want to fit in, thick part goes up. If you want to piss off some old guys, thick part on the bottom

Thank you for pointing that out Pura Vida!! Totally missed that. Will be flipping the green one ASAP! Looks a lot better, "right side" up. Your knowledge and input is immensely appreciated.

Yup, the one with the plow is pretty much shot entirely. Aside from doors, windows, hood, it's barely held together. Just rusted bad from pushing snow I'd assume!

Yeah, I figured. I saw The post for the three when it was first listed. Lady seemed pretty set on the price at the time. I'm about 1k miles away to pack up just to barter. Glad to see time wore her down.

I think keeping all the updates here and making this into a build thread would be great. I would love to watch. Post whatever you can, these are fun to watch.
Right on!! We cleaned up all the rats nests and everything in the interior today. Interior pictures to follow tomorrow, the sun went down a bit quicker than expected.

Early model 40s even had “LAND CRUISER” stamped out on the top.
….if you want to do it right, thick part goes up.

FIFY :flipoff2:

Nice find(s) @FJ4TW! I have also seen the ‘Roto-Rooter’ before…. It’s hard to miss.

Nice find!
congrats I will be following and checking the progress. That paint will buff out really nice.
welcome!!’

Nice find!
congrats I will be following and checking the progress. That paint will buff out really nice.
welcome!!’
Thank you RodrigzCrzr!! Interior pictures coming today, will keep a good pace with updates. I appreciate your reply!

BTW: take some time and go through the forum. It’s the best resource around for Land Cruiser info.

A word of caution however; you’ll find things you didn’t even know you wanted / needed…

Working on getting the front wheels to roll. I have no mechanical expertise here, trying to research the forums and google. About to get the torch out, they won't budge!!

tempImageZbJAaG.png

tempImagefDDd9d.png

Here are some interior shots! The amount of stuff we cleaned out was off the charts. Found two soft doors, so that was interesting.

View attachment 2742182

View attachment 2742183

View attachment 2742185

View attachment 2742187

View attachment 2742188
I have to be honest, that tub does not look bad at all from the interior. Looks like all you need to do is get the seats reupholstered and weld in the rear body panels that are rusted out and you have yourself a solid interior. I also noticed the drivers side rocker isn’t rusted out which is a good sign. These usually rust holes through the rear and rocker panel area (like the green one but not usually as bad). That’s where the mud and grime goes when driving along.

Could someone help give insight on disassembling the top (fiberglass piece)? The front half lifts up, but as soon as it reaches the back it’s stuck together pretty good. I removed the corner hinges you can see, and also remove the 12mm bolts along the sides on the interior of the top. Thanks in advance!

6983212A-E5DB-472F-9B27-BF05D76395A6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom